Help Required On Puzzle Cache

I don't think this is cheating, because I have all the information and now I'm just confused on the mechanics of putting it together. Please feel free to tell me to go jump in the lake if this is inappropriate.

This puzzle cache required me to add important years in our town's history together, and subtract them from the posted starting coordinates to come up with the true coordinates. This doesn't make sense to me.

The years added together give me a total of 15721. I'm supposed to subtract this from the north coordinates N 74 58.953.* How am I supposed to subtract a 5-digit number from a set of coordinates?

Thanks.

* NOT the actual numbers

I don't think this is cheating, because I have all the information and now I'm just confused on the mechanics of putting it together. Please feel free to tell me to go jump in the lake if this is inappropriate.

This puzzle cache required me to add important years in our town's history together, and subtract them from the posted starting coordinates to come up with the true coordinates. This doesn't make sense to me.

The years added together give me a total of 15721. I'm supposed to subtract this from the north coordinates N 74 58.953.* How am I supposed to subtract a 5-digit number from a set of coordinates?

Thanks.

* NOT the actual numbers

Typically something like that would mean you will subtract 15.721 from 58.953. Good luck.

Perhaps instead of, say 1904+1962= 3866 you were meant to do 1+9+0+4+1+9+6+2= 32?

Mike

Typically something like that would mean you will subtract 15.721 from 58.953. Good luck.

I should have mentioned that I did that already, because that was my guess too. Nope. When I emailed the owner prior to going out and asked him if these coords were correct, he said no and subtly chastised me.

How many different dates were to be added together?

Maybe I am confused by two years added together shouldn't = 15 thousand.......the highest number could be 2009+2008 = 4017.

maybe 58953-15721...is that in your area....LOL

It was actually eight dates. What year was our city incorporated, what year did the railway line arrive, etc. Add them all together and subtract from the coordinates listed.

Frankly, I'm inclined to just ignore this cache. The guy's snotty response and poorly worded cryptogram outweigh any desire I have to find this one hide when there are so many others to do around here.

I have a cache which involves adding "years" together. My wife was adamant that I be very clear as to what "the process" would be to "add" years. What I thought would be intuitively obvious was not, in her mind. I must admit, I have had zero complaints.

This is what I came up with:

Final cache will be found at:.

N047° 50.1XX (Where XX = WP#1 sum).

W112° 30.3YY (Where YY = WP#2 sum).

Note: For clarity, remember to only use the last two digits of each year when summing. 1920 + 1930 + 1940 would be summed by adding 20+30+40 (or 90)

The CO, in this case, must think "his way is the only way". I'd just ignore the cache, or, if I knew any of the previous finders, would ask them what process they used.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
Frankly, I'm inclined to just ignore this cache. The guy's snotty response and poorly worded cryptogram outweigh any desire I have to find this one hide when there are so many others to do around here.

I'd say to go with your instincts :P

Instincts are good. But only if you're not being overly sensitive. Post the waypoint and the numbers and someone will sure to crack it. Maybe even give you the solution for a price. :unsure:

I have a cache which involves adding "years" together. My wife was adamant that I be very clear as to what "the process" would be to "add" years. What I thought would be intuitively obvious was not, in her mind. I must admit, I have had zero complaints.

This is what I came up with:

Final cache will be found at:.

N047° 50.1XX (Where XX = WP#1 sum).

W112° 30.3YY (Where YY = WP#2 sum).

Note: For clarity, remember to only use the last two digits of each year when summing. 1920 + 1930 + 1940 would be summed by adding 20+30+40 (or 90)

The CO, in this case, must think "his way is the only way". I'd just ignore the cache, or, if I knew any of the previous finders, would ask them what process they used.

I'd be confused as well but would probably try both ways. Even if you opt to complicate some other step in the puzzle, anytime math is involved I think you should be explicit.. unless math knowledge is the goal.

A puzzle cache should be close to its posted coordinates.

If the request was to subtract your sum from the posted coordinates, subtracting 15.721 minutes will bring you 18 miles (29 kilometers) away from the posted coordinates. Most probably is the sum of the last two digits of the year (521), which is little over half mile (less than 1 km) from the posted coordinates.

*Note: I thought immediately that your sum (in the tens of thousands) was wrong, but wouldn't thought about adding the last two digits. My best guess was to add each digit in each year, like 1+9+6+5+next year's digits+..., ending up with a smaller number (probably 160 or 169), a number that is also feasible.

Edited by Dj Storm