Rhode Island Geocoins

RB4

Not sure where to get them, but if anyone wants them you better get them....

... RHODE ISLAND officials are talking about changing it's name.

First TPTB take Pluto off the solar system list and Now RI

SHEESH!

Yes, they are talking about chopping off "and Providence Plantations" from the state name. Technically it is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" as of now. Some are offended by the word plantations. The funny thing is... 10 years from now the politically correct term for a farm will be plantation and "farm" will upset people. Sheesh!

Are there any sources for Rhode Island Geocoins?

Thanks,

Rodger

Besides the lil Rhody clams I know of 2 other RI coins that are at least 2-3 years old. Best put in a search on Ebay to be notified when one of these comes up.

I have a Rhode Island Quahog available for trade:

85.gif

Not sure where to get them, but if anyone wants them you better get them....

... RHODE ISLAND officials are talking about changing it's name.

First TPTB take Pluto off the solar system list and Now RI

SHEESH!

Yes, they are talking about chopping off "and Providence Plantations" from the state name. Technically it is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" as of now. Some are offended by the word plantations. The funny thing is... 10 years from now the politically correct term for a farm will be plantation and "farm" will upset people. Sheesh!

The official name is "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

It looks like there will be a voter referendum on the subject. Like we have nothing better to worry about.

I have heard rumors that there will be a new 2009 Rhode Island Micro coin...

jrr

Where did you hear that rumor?!?! :ph34r:

Well if there is, I sure hope it says 'sharkz' on the samples again :ph34r::ph34r: We had way too much fun with the teeny tiny State's teeny tiny coin last year!

Btw, how is it that the smallest state has the longest name?!

I have heard rumors that there will be a new 2009 Rhode Island Micro coin...

jrr

Where did you hear that rumor?!?! :ph34r:

Ha ha. I heard it from my first long distance geo-friend! When you coming back out to fix those submarines?

jrr

I still have *no* idea who you are talking about. :ph34r:

And I fix submersibles, not submarines.

LS200917_Silver_full.jpg

Here is a pic of the lovely 2009 Rhode Island micro Horseshoe Crab Geocoin that I was teasing about last month. We announced them to our newsletter list and FB fans first and have a small pile of them left now. If you would like to add one to your collection, you'd better act fast!

2009 Horseshoe Crab Geocoin

It's 30mm tall x 18mm wide, 3D and 2D, plated in antique silver. This coin will fit in most micro caches! The detail on the 3D work is amazing.

I think we have a dozen remaining after packing today's orders. After consulting with our client, we are willing to make a small re-mint if the demand is there, but they'll be a few weeks, so if you really want one, best to grab one now.

I love these coins. I ordered two of them. I remember collecting the shells when I was a kid.

The shells??? You mean these crabs have shells....like turtles??? WOW!

Sorry for asking... I know it is not correct, but can you eat these crabs?? They look like... allien animals...

Ok, I know that this crab is prehistoric... from the dino ages... :D

hmmm... and now that I saw it again.... why this crab is called horseshoe??? I would call it helmet crab!!! :P

Well.... it is like it is wearing a military helmet!!!! :)

The shell reminds me some WWII military helmets! :D

Is the shell strong? I mean.. is it hard or soft and brakes easy???

I thought I would order a couple, but the site now says SOLD OUT.

Gatoulis - I also used to find these crabs and shells on the shore where I grew up (Maryland, not Rhode Island). I don't think they are edible. But they are interesting and pre-historic looking. The shells are firm but not too hard, and are a little flexible, but then get harder when they get dried out. They are big, about 18 inches (45cm) or more. I guess the top part is kinda horseshoe shaped, but I like your description too.

I thought I would order a couple, but the site now says SOLD OUT.

Gatoulis - I also used to find these crabs and shells on the shore where I grew up (Maryland, not Rhode Island). I don't think they are edible. But they are interesting and pre-historic looking. The shells are firm but not too hard, and are a little flexible, but then get harder when they get dried out. They are big, about 18 inches (45cm) or more. I guess the top part is kinda horseshoe shaped, but I like your description too.

:D The shells are big...about 45cm????? WOW!!! You can wear them!!! :rolleyes:

Hmm..... maybe it is like a samurai helmet too! :D

Well... I was almost sure that you can not eat these things! Of counse... if you could eat them... they are already in a bowl... :D I know... I am bad! :wub:

Here is a pic of the lovely 2009 Rhode Island micro Horseshoe Crab Geocoin that I was teasing about last month. We announced them to our newsletter list and FB fans first and have a small pile of them left now. If you would like to add one to your collection, you'd better act fast!

2009 Horseshoe Crab Geocoin

It's 30mm tall x 18mm wide, 3D and 2D, plated in antique silver. This coin will fit in most micro caches! The detail on the 3D work is amazing.

I think we have a dozen remaining after packing today's orders. After consulting with our client, we are willing to make a small re-mint if the demand is there, but they'll be a few weeks, so if you really want one, best to grab one now.

These coins are absolutely stunning. The 3D effect really captures the feel of these prehistoric creatures (they have pretty much remained unchanged for millions of years). They are even nicer than the Quahogs that Lansharkz did for us last year. And don't be surprised if there's another Little Rhody Micro Coin next year (I've already have some ideas I am toying with).

There were some minted in Antique Gold for the locals. I plan on dropping some of mine in caches as trade items of FTF prizes, and I suspect some of the others will as well. So come up to Little Rhody and maybe you'll get lucky!

Some cool Horseshoe crab facts: Their blood is blue! The blood is extremely sensitive to impurities, and it is used to test the purity of some medicines during the manufacturing process! Females are much large than the males!

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Some cool Horseshoe crab facts: Their blood is blue! The blood is extremely sensitive to impurities, and it is used to test the purity of some medicines during the manufacturing process! Females are much large than the males!

I've heard that human blood is blue as well, we just have so much iron that it oxidizes (rusts) almost instantly which is why it looks red when air touches it. But that's why your veins look blue!

Hrm, now that I've written that, I feel the need to go check whether that's accurate or not. I'm on the case!

(The impurity thing is so cool!)

I'm glad I looked that up because it's totally

FALSE

Blood is always red (and there is always oxygen in your blood stream, which I should have known, bad me) and your veins appear blue due to the skin diffracting the light.

Want to know more? Of course you do!

http://www.imt.liu.se/edu/courses/TBMT36/pdf/blue.pdf

(it's a rather technical paper)

As for horseshoe crabs, their blood is blue due to the copper-containing protein hemocyanin, which turns blue when mixed with oxygen.

Reference:

http://books.google.com/books?id=0OSAKny-6...;q=&f=false

Read the first paragraph at least, it's really interesting!

Okay, putting my geekiness back on the shelf.

Awesome coin! :rolleyes:

:laughing:

So "if the demand is there" there may be a small re-mint.

How do we go about expressing that demand? Speaking for myself, I'd be willing to pre-pay to get some of these cuties.

Hear ye, hear ye, the mouse has squeaked and expressed her demand :) . Pre-payment is never required unless we're doing a custom group coin, so hang onto your stash for now ;) .

We have conferred with our client and shall do a small re-mint.

For now, we have updated to site to show a few more for sale from the back of the drawer. We're still working with the old site (a few more weeks and I hope we'll have the new one) so we have to be cautious we don't oversell something in our sleep... it's happened, don't laugh!

:huh:

So "if the demand is there" there may be a small re-mint.

How do we go about expressing that demand? Speaking for myself, I'd be willing to pre-pay to get some of these cuties.

Hear ye, hear ye, the mouse has squeaked and expressed her demand :) . Pre-payment is never required unless we're doing a custom group coin, so hang onto your stash for now ;) .

HUGS2DMouseDancing7EL.gif

:laughing:;):)

We have conferred with our client and shall do a small re-mint.

For now, we have updated to site to show a few more for sale from the back of the drawer. We're still working with the old site (a few more weeks and I hope we'll have the new one) so we have to be cautious we don't oversell something in our sleep... it's happened, don't laugh!

;)canadaC.gifshark_3.gif

Thanks Mouse. I missed out on these beauties (always had a fascination with these living fossils that appear to be on the verge of finally dying out from the influences of the past decade or so) and was relegated to doing business on Ebay.... ugh!

I'd love to purchase a couple.