Geocachers house swap

We've been caching around Vancouver Island for a few years now, and enjoying occasional trips to the U.S West Coast, but the cost of motels, and even camping, makes trips off Island pretty pricey. We have a nice, 3 bed-room house on the Saanich Peninsula, just north of Victoria, B.C. The Greater Victoria district boasts more than 1500 caches and many, many amazing parks for hiking, biking and caching. Where do you live?? Wanna talk about a house swap?? B)

We've been caching around Vancouver Island for a few years now, and enjoying occasional trips to the U.S West Coast, but the cost of motels, and even camping, makes trips off Island pretty pricey. We have a nice, 3 bed-room house on the Saanich Peninsula, just north of Victoria, B.C. The Greater Victoria district boasts more than 1500 caches and many, many amazing parks for hiking, biking and caching. Where do you live?? Wanna talk about a house swap?? :P

I just sent a link off to some friends of mine that are currently on vacation in the Southwest but may be interested in making a deal.

Man, I would love to swap with you to escape this heat. I doubt you'd be interested in air temps of 102 and heat indices of 106 though. And we have lots of fun snakes, chiggers, and spiders here too. Add the waist high poison ivy and I think I'm really not doing a good job of selling you my house in the greater Dallas area. :P

Man, I would love to swap with you to escape this heat. I doubt you'd be interested in air temps of 102 and heat indices of 106 though. And we have lots of fun snakes, chiggers, and spiders here too. Add the waist high poison ivy and I think I'm really not doing a good job of selling you my house in the greater Dallas area. :P

I bet the weather in Dallas is awesome in the fall or winter. Maybe sell that part of it. :)

I can see I'll have to refine my search a bit. Much as we'd love to explore Dallas, you're right; it is a bit on the steamy side for us just now. What we're looking for is somewhere for a week (or so) within driving distance, so Washington or Oregon, probably in September, although that's flexible.

Another thought, that might be easier, is we do have a spare room and could accomodate a couple...we could stay in your spare room and then you could stay in ours.

I reckon if this works out we could set up a world-wide exchange site for cachers..you could just put what you want onto the site...say 2 weeks in Oz in exchange for 2 weeks in France...and wait for a good match. java script:add_smilie(":P","smid_43")

I can see I'll have to refine my search a bit. Much as we'd love to explore Dallas, you're right; it is a bit on the steamy side for us just now. What we're looking for is somewhere for a week (or so) within driving distance, so Washington or Oregon, probably in September, although that's flexible.

Another thought, that might be easier, is we do have a spare room and could accomodate a couple...we could stay in your spare room and then you could stay in ours.

I reckon if this works out we could set up a world-wide exchange site for cachers..you could just put what you want onto the site...say 2 weeks in Oz in exchange for 2 weeks in France...and wait for a good match. java script:add_smilie(":P","smid_43")

No need to create such a site, try http://www.couchsurfing.org/ and http://www.homebase-hols.com/ amongst others!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
I reckon if this works out we could set up a world-wide exchange site for cachers..you could just put what you want onto the site...say 2 weeks in Oz in exchange for 2 weeks in France...and wait for a good match.

In 2007 I did exactly that (except it was 3½ weeks). We had a great vacation in Australia and paid $0.00 (Australian) for accommodation and car hire. But the pool of geocachers is way too small. Just sign up with a good home exchange site and meet the cachers when you're there (after all, if you've exchanged with them, that's one less local caching team to meet up with).

We have done about 18 home exchanges since 1995. It's a great way to have a cheaper and better family vacation. We were expecting to do even more now that our kids are college-age and don't want to hang around with us, but it turns out they want to stay in our house and have friends over for most of the summer, so it's on hold right now.

PM me if you want the address of the site we use (I don't want to post it in the forum in case it starts a debate about advertising, although they are a worldwide, non-profit organisation).

Edited by sTeamTraen

PM me if you want the address of the site we use (I don't want to post it in the forum in case it starts a debate about advertising, although they are a worldwide, non-profit organisation).

Post it. About the only time you'll start a debate about advertising is if you spam a half-dozen threads with the same info.

We don't live too far from you. Sandpoint, Idaho. Great Geocaching at Schweitzer Mountain, Old Mining Sites, Coeur d'Alene, Hope, Priest River, Post Falls, even Spokane is only two hours away. Then there is Montana and Creston and Cranbrook as well. I live in a wonderful area. Can't do it this year, but how about next?

We are in Sacramento (boarder of Folsom, Ca) We are an hour away from San Francisco, an hour away from Tahoe..... just about an hour away from everything. 1000's and 1000's of caches. We would be happy to talk about a swap if you are willing to come this much south.