Is there anyone that does not have any technical problems with the PN-40?

geeyo

Let's see. I can think of three or four folks who will insist the PN-40 they have is perfect. A handful of others who will say the first one (or two) they got from DeLorme were duds, but the replacement unit they eventually got is fine. And a few who may say that even with problems extant, the one they have is good enough to use. I fall into that last category.

I think its performance of my PN-40 is probably typical. I think the folks who claim their PN-40 "never, ever" loses a fix are honestly reporting what they believe -- but are either not very observant or have truly extraordinary luck.

That about sums it up. Whaddya tryin' to do, start a fight? :)

---

PS: Full disclosure -- My first PN-40 was a dud. My second is not perfect but good enough. It's highly accurate under ideal, non-moving conditions. But it loses a fix sometimes and is not as sensitive/reliable as some folks claim the PN-40 should be. Also note, I received mine for beta testing before firmware 2.4 and Cache Register came out. Since then I've upgraded to firmware 2.5, and DeLorme tells me one I have is a production unit, not a test device.

---

EDITING NOTE @ 2113 PDT 21 JUN 09: One user was offended because I put my "opinions" in the paragraph labeled "full disclsoure." I have moved the opinions to preceding paragraphs to avoid anyone thinking I meant to disguise opinion as fact. But no other words have been removed or changed.

Edited by lee_rimar

I think the folks who claim their PN-40 "never, ever" loses a fix are honestly reporting what they believe -- but are either not very observant or have truly extraordinary luck.[/i]

Well Lee, those are two choices among which it is tough to select.

Nevertheless, I'll guess to be not very observant as I do not watch it anywhere near 100% of the ON time.

OTOH, I've recorded hundreds of miles while driving and have never seen a gap, or an inordinately long straight line between two points more distant than that scheduled.

I've never had a problem with mine and have had it for 5 months now. Use it kayaking almost every other weekend, multiple times geocaching including Geowoodstock 7 and caching/vacation driving from Florida to Chicago. I'm not saying the unit has no problems for some people but it's just that people with problems are more likely to post than people who have no problems. When was the last time you saw anybody creat a topic that says "I own unit X and just wanted to see how many other people weren't having any problem either" I don't know how many units have seen sold or what the complaint rate is so it's hard to say if the no problem to problem ratio is 1:1, 5:1, 100:1 or 10,742:1 :) All I can say100% for sure is I use mine weekly and have had no issues.

No problems from mine either, but tis wouldn't be a surprise to anyone...Right Lee? As for extroaridanirily lucky, I don't feel that lucky, I feel I am getting what I bought! I use mine much like Clan does, just went on a weekender including kayaking (twice) and finding a few caches, no problems, no lost signal even when in my lifejacket pocket....I love my PN-40!

Met up with a friend who just bought one at GW...he tld me "it's just too accurate"....I kid you not! It's that good!

Nevertheless, I'll guess to be not very observant as I do not watch it anywhere near 100% of the ON time.
I'd be hard pressed to believe -any- handheld GPS never loses a fix, and it doesn't faze me when it happens. Happens less often on the PN-40 than on some devices I've had, but more than some others.

A GPS can lose a fix, or lose 3D data, or have other degraded accuracy for reasons unrelated to the receiver itself. The simplest case is when you don't have enough satellites in view, or they're not in a favorable geometry. Since this does happen and the GPS can't do anything about, there are simply times when the GPS is not going to keep a fix because it cannot collect enough reliable data. To say this is not bashing the PN-40, I'm just stating a fact about GPS in general.

If you're positive this has never happened to you -- you either didn't notice, or you're lucky enough to have good satellite views and geometry 100% of the time.

As a side note -- an apparently consistent track log may or may not mean you had perfect reception all the time. A blip of several seconds might not be noticeable up unless you were moving fast. A loss of 3D reception won't show unless you look at the elevation profile of your track.

As another side note: did you notice JM-2's tracklog posted here in a disucssion about reception? He's got a few of them straight lines in his track :) and I'd say John knows what he's doing.

Edited by lee_rimar

No problems of significance..cheapo energizer NiMH last 9 hours+..never had a lockup or other need to restart. I do prefer Topo 7 to Topo 8 in some respects. It does lose lock on occasion, briefly, but that poses no problem for my use, and the mag compass can be pretty jumpy which is, again, not a serious problem for me.

Curious how an individual would determine if problems are "rare" and whether the difficulties are "technical".

Don't personally know any other PN users, or for that matter any Oregon/Colorado/Magellan users or what sorts of problems occur. My experience with the PN40 has been entirely positive.

Jerry

Mine of course looses lock quite often, but then that's the sorts of terrain I venture out into. Reception wise it's about average for a modern unit. Where it isn't average is in how it behaves in tough reception conditions. If it looses lock for too long, it sometimes shuts down or locks up. Battery life is the worst of anything I currently own other than My PDA with a BC307 compact flash GPS unit attached.

Something else that makes the PN-40 something unlike any other unit I own is that it puts a fair load on the batteries even shut down.

As for types of uses I put my handhelds through, hiking mostly, terrain varies from steep canyons to include slots, wide open desert terrain, or an occasional rain forest and everything in between.

By the way, if your receiver doesn't loose lock when in a situation where the view of the satellites isn't straight line, you'll experience positional errors, which I found most units will experience from time to time, including my PN-40. Multipath signals are bad.....

Edited by Searching_ut
... It does lose lock on occasion, briefly...and the mag compass can be pretty jumpy...
WHAT?! Jerry, how can you SAY that?! Why do you hate the -40 so much?!

Just kidding :) I'm poking fun at someone who sent me an email today and I hope he laughs at himself when he reads it.

It's understandable that a GPS can have less than 100% perfect reception ar all times, and still be perfectly adequate for most users. In fact, that's MORE believable than the folks who insist any GPS really is 100% perfect.

Edited by lee_rimar
... if your receiver doesn't loose lock when in a situation where the view of the satellites isn't straight line, you'll experience positional errors, which I found most units will experience from time to time, including my PN-40. Multipath signals are bad.....
A "straight line" isn't ideal either. Best geometry would be one directly overhead, and a few more scattered around in various directions, between 30 and 45 degrees above the horizon. Minimum of 4 in view for a 3D fix, quality of the fix depending on geometry.
I'd be hard pressed to believe -any- handheld GPS never loses a fix, and it doesn't faze me when it happens. Happens less often on the PN-40 than on some devices I've had, but more than some others.

A GPS can lose a fix, or lose 3D data, or have other degraded accuracy for reasons unrelated to the receiver itself. The simplest case is when you don't have enough satellites in view, or they're not in a favorable geometry. Since this does happen and the GPS can't do anything about, there are simply times when the GPS is not going to keep a fix because it cannot collect enough reliable data. To say this is not bashing the PN-40, I'm just stating a fact about GPS in general.

If you're positive this has never happened to you -- you either didn't notice, or you're lucky enough to have good satellite views and geometry 100% of the time.

As a side note -- an apparently consistent track log may or may not mean you had perfect reception all the time. A blip of several seconds might not be noticeable up unless you were moving fast. A loss of 3D reception won't show unless you look at the elevation profile of your track.

As another side note: did you notice JM-2's tracklog posted here in a disucssion about reception? He's got a few of them straight lines in his track :) and I'd say John knows what he's doing.

Lee,

Why is it so hard for you and others to believe many of us have PN40's that work perfectly fine. Have you just always had poor performing GPSr's? I've never seen my 40 lose 3d lock while outdoors or in my car and I've never seen my 60csx lose lock but, NO, I've not observed either unit every second it was on. As I mentioned in another post, I've had my 40 in my pocket while logging a cache, pulled it out and it still had green bars and 3d lock. Though I laugh at people impressed with getting satellite reception while indoors (as if that is of any value) I admit I have as well but unlike Ozzy Osbourn I don't need a GPSr to find my bathroom. I haven't done a lot of detailed track comparisons but I have had both units in the woods caching and saw little to no difference in their performance. Just yesterday I placed a new cache in a spot with heavy tree canopy. The 40 showed 7 ft accuracy. I went back to my car and then routed back to the cache and standing over it the 40 showed 2 ft. No issue under the trees. I know of at least 3 other PN40 owners in my area that have never mentioned any problems with their units.

I've read many of your posts here and on the Delorme forums and you seem like an intelligent guy. Why are you willing to settle for a unit that doesn't perform as well as others? I assume you paid good money for it just like I did mine. I realize it's frustrating to have gotten multiple units not working 100% but personally I would keep trying or demand my money back and move on.

Perhaps the low prices we're seeing is an attempt to clear out inventory to make room for a new hardware revision that will answer some of the reception and power issues. When the prices go back up, that may be the time to send units in for repair.

Let's see. I can think of three or four folks who will insist the PN-40 they have is perfect. A handful of others who will say the first one (or two) they got from DeLorme were duds, but the replacement unit they eventually got is fine. And a few who may say that even with problems extant, the one they have is good enough to use. I fall into that last category.

That about sums it up. Whaddya tryin' to do, start a fight? :)

---

PS: Full disclosure -- My first PN-40 was a dud. My second is not perfect but good enough. It's highly accurate under ideal, non-moving conditions. But it loses a fix sometimes and is not as sensitive/reliable as some folks claim the PN-40 should be. Also note, I received mine for beta testing before firmware 2.4 and Cache Register came out. Since then I've upgraded to firmware 2.5, and DeLorme tells me one I have is a production unit, not a test device. So I think its performance is probably typical. I think the folks who claim their PN-40 "never, ever" loses a fix are honestly reporting what they believe -- but are either not very observant or have truly extraordinary luck.

Lee, I take exception to the last part of your full disclosure. It's an opinion disguised as fact. I have more to report about the function of my PN, but tonight I'm just too blasted tired.

Edited by TotemLake

Yes, I did notice that and that is what I had in mind when I said that I have never observed that, straight lines between two adjacent points whose distance between them is greater than that to which if have the recording interval set.

Now, as I mentioned it and was subsequently asked, I will show one of them again:

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=f4pr3kwj

Understand a minor reluctance as when I've previously shown these,

I generate some musings of disbelief, as if I've photoshopfaked them.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
Yes, I did notice (JM_2's post "over there") ...
Ha ha.

After I provided that pointer "over there," John followed up and wanted to make sure everyone knew that his only glitches in reception were in tall groves of huge ancient trees, deep in canyons, etc. The sort conditions where one might expect less than 100% perfect reception -- this is normal and not a "technical problem" in the sense the OP was asking about.

I simply mention it in contrast to the folks who insist their PN-40 never ever loses a fix.

... I assume you paid good money for it just like I did mine.
You are mistaken. Go read post #3 again. I guess I didn't make it clear enough, DeLorme gave me a PN-40 for beta testing; I didn't pay for it.

I did pay for my $30 annual map subscription. I've also bought a few copies of Cache Register as "gifts" for other people -- even though I got my copy for free as part of the beta.

I think the folks who claim their PN-40 "never, ever" loses a fix are honestly reporting what they believe -- but are either not very observant or have truly extraordinary luck
Lee, I take exception to the last part of your full disclosure. It's an opinion disguised as fact. I have more to report about the function of my PN, but tonight I'm just too blasted tired.
You must be tired to say something like that. How can a remark prefaced as "I think..." be anything but an opinion or a belief? In what way am I trying to "disguise it as fact?"

But here is a fact: No GPS can get a fix 100% of the time, and even when it can get a fix the accuracy will vary according to circumstances. That's true of a tiny cell-phone GPS and a multi-thousand system with an antenna the size of a Frisbee. Inability to get or hold an accurate fix under dense canopy, or in a rocky canyon (or in an urban canyon), or in the absence of favorable satellite geometry is NORMAL, not a technical problem. It's only a problem if it happens often enough for you to get lost.

Pointing this out is not bashing any particular model.

But people who insist it NEVER happens with the particular GPS they have? My opinion of that (the one you accused me of disguising as fact) remains as stated.

Edited by lee_rimar
I think the folks who claim their PN-40 "never, ever" loses a fix are honestly reporting what they believe -- but are either not very observant or have truly extraordinary luck
You must be tired to say something like that. How can a remark prefaced as "I think..." be anything but an opinion or a belief? In what way am I trying to "disguise it as fact?"

But here is a fact: No GPS can get a fix 100% of the time, and even when it can get a fix the quality of the fix will vary according to circumstance. Inability to get or hold an accurate fix under dense canopy, or in a rocky canyon (or in an urban canyon), or in the absence of favorable satellite geometry is NORMAL, not a technical problem. That's true of a tiny cell-phone GPS and a multi-thousand system with an antenna the size of a Frisbee. It's only a problem if it happens often enough for you to get lost.

But insisting that it NEVER happens with the GPS you're holding? My opinion of that (the one you accused me of disguising as fact) remains as stated.

A full disclosure is about factual considerations and has nothing to do with an opinion tagged at the end. IN fact it was pretty arrogant based on no facts and no evidence to the contrary. You don't know my observation techniques nor how anal I am about watching what the GPS does under specific conditions.

My goodness, are you complaining about rhetorical structure?

Would you be happier if I moved the opinion out of the last paragraph, into the one preceding it? Done. I've edited that which offended thee - not removing a single word, just putting the opinions in a paragraph where no one could mistakenly think I was presenting them as fact.

See also:

Now, go get some rest.

Edited by lee_rimar

I am just wondering if it is rare that people do not have any technical problems with their Delorme PN-40?

It seems that most people have issues with batteries,and also the unit freezing up.

I've been very satisfied with the performance of my PN-40. I did experience a lockup or two about 7 months ago, but its behaved well since then...long enough ago that I'm inclined to think what I saw was associated with an early firmware version.

I'm getting something like 11-12 hours with the special rechargeable Li-Ion battery. It holds lock most of the time, but I have seen it slip into 2-D mode and even lose lock on occasions infrequent enough that I consider them rare...it's certainly no worse than any other GPS I've ever owned in that regard.

geeyo,

If it helps, I got very interested in this unit awhile back and ran this thread before deciding to buy one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=224464

There's a lot to read but maybe it'll be helpful.

As you can see, this is a touchy subject for some reason. Personally I could care less who believes what (or who). You can see from all the varied testimonials that DeLorme's PN-40 is like a box of chocolates so to speak. I believe the PN-40 is an awesome product, but still in the throes of QC that seems a bit sub-par. I ordered a PN-40 last week and I'm fully prepared for the possibility of getting a crapper, but I'm optimistic that it'll be just fine. Either way DeLorme seems to be on the side of their customers.

This is just my humble opinion, but the questions about the PN-40 have been answered. The real question is whether taking a gamble on a potentially awesome and new GPS unit is worthwhile to you. Fortunately in this case there shouldn't be any surprises for anyone who's done a little homework on this forum.

But here is a fact: No GPS can get a fix 100% of the time, and even when it can get a fix the accuracy will vary according to circumstances. That's true of a tiny cell-phone GPS and a multi-thousand system with an antenna the size of a Frisbee. Inability to get or hold an accurate fix under dense canopy, or in a rocky canyon (or in an urban canyon), or in the absence of favorable satellite geometry is NORMAL, not a technical problem. It's only a problem if it happens often enough for you to get lost.

But people who insist it NEVER happens with the particular GPS they have? My opinion of that (the one you accused me of disguising as fact) remains as stated.

OK Lee, you can believe whatever you choose, I will stand by my comments and observations! I have NEVER OBSERVED loss of reception, I have NEVER OBSERVED anything remote to what you and others have reported. Am I lucky....nope. Am I watching the bars constantly? Why would I? I have better things to do than worry if I'm losing signal, especially when I have no reason to worry about such silliness. Must be others never leave their signal screen?

I will add that I've not used mine in mountainous conditions yet, so I'll not comment on that condition, but I will post a few pics soon...still need to upload them!

Here's a picture of KAboom while walking to the cache "Hardy Har Har".

58bbb676-149d-4997-b440-8b4fde6d821e.jpg

Near "Hardy Har Har"...never lost signal the whole 2 mile trek in this deep wooded and high terrain area. The hills behind me (out of pcture) are steep and heavily wooded. We found the cache without a problem since the PN-40 put us right on top of it!

eced0739-5381-4895-89ea-71fa56bf3c59.jpg

While this picture doesn't show the terrain very well, you'd have thought we were in Yellowstone or maybe waaay up in Canada. The stream is about 15' or so below this bridge, the trail dropped a good deal to go to this bridge built by a BS troop! High "canyon-like' walls are on either side of this stream!

1c5ea779-1aee-4c1f-a648-756b48fe88da.jpg

View of the stream from the bridge.

c099b0d9-9f8b-4e01-8154-e1900456c474.jpg

As you can see, the dense coverage and terrain is pretty rugged, never noticed a signal loss or a problem being led to the cache! One last picture, this one is from the kayak cache which we attempted twice with a DNF each time due to a missing stage and well, we don't know about the final since we never did locate it. We were put right where the final was described to be though!

1c6c96f6-085c-4252-b050-f64ff01ab0df.jpg

Edited by Rockin Roddy

My goodness, are you complaining about rhetorical structure?

Would you be happier if I moved the opinion out of the last paragraph, into the one preceding it? Done. I've edited that which offended thee - not removing a single word, just putting the opinions in a paragraph where no one could mistakenly think I was presenting them as fact.

See also:

Now, go get some rest.

I have no problem with the restructuring without removing a single word. Thank you. You are welcome to your opinion and I support it. The placement has everything to do with the way the message is conveyed.

Mine is still of the opinion it is still arrogant. I base it on the postulation of your opinion no one else can be as observant as you if their findings don't match yours.

Stay tuned. I have a review from a 15 mile hike to write up along with raw track data to present.

Hey Lee, I think you’re getting beat up. Seriously guys, I think you’re misinterpreting what he’s trying to say. As I think all experienced GPS users can testify, virtually all units loose lock in certain conditions, and all of them have an assortment of qwirks they display when they are struggling with a position fix. The older units, like the black and white eTrex Units simply lost and quickly reported a lost lock. Newer units do more guestimating, and often do strange dance and get some interesting position results as a result. Not necessarily indication of a bad unit, just reality. My PN-40 behaves pretty much the same reception wise as the other color units I own, and judging by behavior my Nuvi 265WT more than likely has the same chipset as they are very similar in reception and the dance they do. Note that the track not lining up to the roads is an error of the street data in the Juneau Alaska area.

114163841.jpg

The above is also a good example of signal loss, dancing because of a combination of having the PN-40 in my pocket, and terrain. Notice the track wandering from the smooth out and back where I walked on the same sidewalk both ways. Also notice how it rounds off corners. Another reception difficulty indication is the variations in distance between track points. The Receiver is set to record track points every 10 feet.

114163843.jpg

large.jpg

The above example is another little characteristic of the PN-40 in difficult reception conditions. Here is where I took a ride in a Tram to the top of Mount Roberts in Juneau. For one leg of the trip I lost reception completely, which is to be expected being in a Tram. The interesting part is the leg where it kept reporting where it though I was. Notice the steady march of breadcrumbs, albeit wandering all over from the actual course. Also included is a photo of the sister tram coming back up from the midway point of the tram ride.

Anyway, I have several examples of good tracks as well, nicely lined up out and backs on trails etc. To say the unit acts any differently than any other newer unit out there right now though, show me the side by side tracks…..

Hey Lee, I think you’re getting beat up. Seriously guys, I think you’re misinterpreting what he’s trying to say. As I think all experienced GPS users can testify, virtually all units loose lock in certain conditions, and all of them have an assortment of qwirks they display when they are struggling with a position fix.

Great post, nice to see some sense with regard to track logging and reception.

Those tracks are very common for more modern units, be it a garmin or delorme.. rather than breaks in track there's a lot more wandery guesses. People really get hung up on the ability for these units to perform reproducible tracks over and over. Not sure if they'd prefer the breaks in the tracks <_< Anyhows, as long as they can go to a point in space .. say, oooh a Geocache... I don't mind what the track does.

Edited by Maingray

Hey Rockin Roddy,

I can see your trees, raise you some really dense stuff and throw in some steep canyon walls if you'd like. <_< Looks like a beautiful area actually, but I really couldn't judge by the photos whether or not it would interfere with GPS reception or not. To be honest, most of the time when the tree cover is thin enough like that to allow all the green stuff to grow down low like it is in those photos, I've found even my Old black and white etrex does a pretty good job. Trees vary widely in how they affect performance though. Canyons on the other hand, I know several where I've yet to find a GPS unit that could hold a lock in there even for a short time. They're canyons though, not caves, I swear ;)

Hey Rockin Roddy,

I can see your trees, raise you some really dense stuff and throw in some steep canyon walls if you'd like. <_< Looks like a beautiful area actually, but I really couldn't judge by the photos whether or not it would interfere with GPS reception or not. To be honest, most of the time when the tree cover is thin enough like that to allow all the green stuff to grow down low like it is in those photos, I've found even my Old black and white etrex does a pretty good job. Trees vary widely in how they affect performance though. Canyons on the other hand, I know several where I've yet to find a GPS unit that could hold a lock in there even for a short time. They're canyons though, not caves, I swear ;)

Yes, right there near the stream where the bridge is, you can see greenery growing down low, no where else on the trail was it that way, it was all thick overgrowth as you describe. The reason I showed the dreek and bridge is because (although unshown in the pictures) the sides of that creek went up for a good 200' with fairly heavy growth on both sides (kinda like a canyon could be like??). I have been climbing, so I do understand what you mean by canyons!! ;)

In fact, the second picture shows the river just beyond the trees and the small trickle at the bottom of that 30' drop. The wind was blowing hard as could be noticed due to the considerable movement of the trees on the river bank, but the air just a short 50' in was still and stagnant...but much cooler than the sunny meadows leading back into the tree coverage! The point of this comment; although the wind and sun could not find their way through the canopy, the signal did! Although there was a huge wall behind me in this picture (off camera), no signal bounce that I noticed (note I did not say it doesn't or can't happen, I said I didn't and haven't notice it).

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hey Roddy, do you ever transfer the track(s) recorded by your GPS back to your computer, to admire it later?

Beyond my capability at this time Lee, but maybe someday. I truly have never tried even though there were a few kayak trips I would have liked to save.

Can you tell I was tired, I didn't even use the right wording...sheesh!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I really haven't had any troubles with my PN-40. No connection issues or anything. Reception drops out when you would expect for any handheld unit; I actually think I get better reception with it than my previous unit, which was a Magellan SporTrak Color. Still not thrilled with the WAAS algorithm, which doesn't use all available WAAS satellites, but aside from that I have no complaints since the newest firmware release.

... People really get hung up on the ability for these units to perform reproducible tracks over and over. Not sure if they'd prefer the breaks in the tracks ;) ...

Actually I really wish GPSr's would have a switchable option somewhere in their menu to turn the auto-magic tracking ON-OFF! Sometimes it's goodt to see a smooth continuous track, other times I WANT to know when I'm "flying blind" :D

I really wish GPSr's would have a switchable option somewhere in their menu to turn the auto-magic tracking ON-OFF!
I think the last GPS I had with an explicit "track smoothing on/off" option was the my Lowrance iFinder H2O. It also had an option to toggle the SIRF's "static navigation" mode. Now THERE was a GPS that could tell you the whole truth and nothing but the truth -- if you really wanted to see it ;)

I've had some of the power issues. Before I got a Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack, I had the unit freeze with alkalines a couple of times. I've had a couple of times where I couldn't get the unit to start without jumping through some hoops.

I've only noticed signal loss once, while I was at the site of the second oldest cemetery in town. It was dropping like crazy there.

Beyond my capacity at this time...
Hmm? It's easy in Topo 7, innit?

It's very easy. What I also like is you can turn around and export that track into text with data so you can truly see what your GPS did. It will show whether the fix is in 3-D or 2-D. This is the analysis I go through to determine what my PN has done.

I've completed the rough write up of the hike. I'll start polishing it up along with some screenshots of the track on the topo. I didn't do screenshots on the PN because I was testing the longevity under what would be normal use for me with lithium batteries.

I expect to have a link to it no later than Saturday which is completely dependent upon keeping a good relationship with my better half. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

I got my PN-40 yesterday, so I've owned it for all of 24 hours. So far it's been a very positive experience. With all the back and forth on this unit, I'm thinking about writing up an article after I've used it for the frist seven days.

Just some highlights:

- I've had nothing but fast and reliable locks, with a healthy dosage of WAAS

- Reception in the car is outstanding

- WAAS or not, it takes me right to the caches and zeros in. Way better than my eTrex Legend so far.

- Power has been fine. I'm eager to see how battery life turns out though.

All I can say at this point is that I don't have a lemon. Woo hoo!

I got my PN-40 yesterday, so I've owned it for all of 24 hours. So far it's been a very positive experience. With all the back and forth on this unit, I'm thinking about writing up an article after I've used it for the frist seven days.

Just some highlights:

- WAAS or not, it takes me right to the caches and zeros in. Way better than my eTrex Legend so far.

CONGRATS!! I hope this unit works well for you, just like it has for me! And, I doubt there'll be too many "lemons" coming out of the company these days, I would bet they got a majority of the kinks worked out by now? I could be wrong, but it would seem logical!

Just some highlights:

Glad to see things off to a good start.

If you've been over to the Delorme forums (I think you have ;)) and seen the threads discussing Cabornay's Li-ion battery you'll see that a lot of us swear by it. Gives good run time and you can charge it in the 40 so you don't have to take the back cover off as often. Looks like he's still out right now but here's the link: Cab's Battery

I really haven't had any troubles with my PN-40. No connection issues or anything. Reception drops out when you would expect for any handheld unit; I actually think I get better reception with it than my previous unit, which was a Magellan SporTrak Color. Still not thrilled with the WAAS algorithm, which doesn't use all available WAAS satellites, but aside from that I have no complaints since the newest firmware release.

Ah, the good old sportraks. Mine was the first GPS unit I had a love hate thing going with. It was a relationship that had to end, and I gave both of mine away to the kids. They worked so good on the flatlands, but drove you nuts in the rugged terrain. I too prefer the reception of my PN-40 most of the time, but it too gets a little out of hand in the mountains and canyons sometimes. Overall, while I've posted samples of glitches, it tracks fairly accurate if I take the time to orient it right. Because of the power down issues I have with it though, my VistaC or Forerunner 305 will remain my track recording unit for the time being.

Just some highlights:

Good luck, and have fun while exploring. A new GPS or camera is always an excuse for a road trip for me. I highly recommend one to try out the new toy.....

I've got one of the early PN-40's, about November last year. Not one problem with it, and I love it. Works great. Latest firmware & software are great improvements. Those that are knocking the PN-40 are / were either very unlucky, or - what? I dunno.... My hiking friends tend to drool a bit, with the hi-res aerial maps and USGS 25K Topos on it, all I want for $25 / year. Oh yeah, Delorme's support of MACS could be better; can't have it all.

Beyond my capacity at this time...
Hmm? It's easy in Topo 7, innit?

I have no idea about T7, but with T8, I had very little problem loading one of my tracks onto the computer and had some fun checking it out! When I say very little problem I mean absolutely NO problem, just a click and done!

...with T8, I had very little problem loading one of my tracks...
Cool. Gonna post some images so we can see where you've been kayaking?

Lee, I can only conquer one techy problem at a time! :D

I'll try...

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=06ngvdv7

Sorry, best I can do?? Maybe someone can tell me how to actually load the map to the forums??

Edited by Rockin Roddy