1,000,000 Geocache Celebration

At the time of this writing, there are over 807,000 caches and counting. At the rate they're being added, I think the count could easily reach a million by the end of the year. In honor of the millionth hide, how do you think Groundspeak should celebrate this milestone? Here are a couple of my ideas:

1. A specially struck geocoin with the name, GC code, date placed, country (and, if possible, state) and owners username.

2. The owner should be granted a special prize, like a $100 gift certificate to the ShopGroudspeak store.

Anyone else have other ideas? :(

Edited by PorscheSpyder

At the time of this writing, there are over 807,000 caches and counting. At the rate they're being added, I think the count could easily reach a million by the end of the year. In honor of the millionth hide, how do you think Groundspeak should celebrate this milestone? Here are a couple of my ideas:

1. A specially struck geocoin with the name, GC code, date placed, country (and, if possible, state) and owners username.

2. The owner should be granted a special prize, like a $100 gift certificate to the ShopGroudspeak store.

Anyone else have other ideas? :(

This has been asked before. the question should be. "What was/is/where the 1 mil. cache published?" Im sure GS knows. Maybe the mods would like to add some input?

As explained in prior threads, it would be awfully difficult to determine the 1,000,000th active geocache. Caches are archived and published all the time, all around the world. Just as a cache in Utah is poised to roll over the counter, someone in Germany archives a cache that is missing. Then the next cache, in Wales, becomes the lucky millionth. But then, two caches in Australia are archived due to a brush fire and we're back down to 999,999 active.

It would require server forensics to find the answer. I know when I tried to figure out the 10,000th active cache in Ohio, I could not pin down the answer with certainty. Expanding that to a global scale would be a daunting task.

Sorry to say, but the 1M milestone was reached a while ago. The 807K number is active only. The remaining ones are the archived ones.

And, with new caches being offset by archivals, the number changes all the time so it would be impossible to determine which one would be the 1M "active" cache.

Yeah, this has actually come up 3 times in the last month. The millionth waypoint was given out to a cache in Connecticut over a year ago. The 1,000,000th active cache would be a static number, that changes by the minute, and always will. This is because hundreds of caches are archived world-wide daily. I receive over 20 archive notifications per week just in my 50 mile notification radius, to give you an idea.

How do you think Groundspeak should celebrate?

Free pony rides. :ph34r:

Since I can't have one of my own. :(

As far as I'm concerned you can have all the ponies you want. Just remember, YOU have to clean up after them.