What can I do if a geocacher has confiscated my geocoin for over 4 months?

specops9

Not much really. Looks like they haven't logged in since Friday, February 13.

Send them a nice email and wait. Maybe try again in a couple three months.

Offer to pay for postage to send it back to you if they can't get out caching.

Can GS ban their account?

What good does that do?

Sure - TPTB can ban their account. Not likely to do anything more than make it more difficult for people to contact them and ultimately prevent them from ever wanting to get back into caching.

Things happen - BlueDeuce has the right idea... a few casual e-mails being polite will get much further than anything else.

At least you know who has it. If someone wanted to be really sneaky and keep it, they would have "placed" it in a cache (virtually) and kept it. Or placed it in their own cache and marked it as missing.

Doesn't end the frustration, but it might be good to know that it is probably not malicious. A couple of good-natured emails are in order.

I've got one that's been gone for almost a year now. I sent several nice, polite emails and got no response. The person has a YIM account listed on her profile page, so I also tried that several times, and had my invitation refused, so I know that she was getting them. I'm not happy about it, but it happens.

I usually just sigh and chalk it up to the chances you take when releasing a trackable into the wild.

Someone grabbed one of my friends coins and then stopped caching. When he contacted her, she said, "It's here on my desk if you'd like to come get it..." LOL.

I don't think she realized that caching was a global thing.

I usually just sigh and chalk it up to the chances you take when releasing a trackable into the wild.

Someone grabbed one of my friends coins and then stopped caching. When he contacted her, she said, "It's here on my desk if you'd like to come get it..." LOL.

I don't think she realized that caching was a global thing.

I finally managed to get someone to snail mail me a coin that he had held onto for over 6 months. He put it into an envelope without first taping it to cardboard. I received an empty envelope with a tear in the edge where the coin fell out. At least he tried, though!

Sure - TPTB can ban their account. Not likely to do anything more than make it more difficult for people to contact them and ultimately prevent them from ever wanting to get back into caching.

Things happen - BlueDeuce has the right idea... a few casual e-mails being polite will get much further than anything else.

About a year and a half ago there was an incident in the Finger Lakes to Western NY region where 80-100 coins went missing from about 30 caches over the course of a 3 day weekend. A very small amount of investigation led to an account that had logged every cache that had missing coins. None of the coin tracking pages were logged though. That account was owned by someone that could have been a likely starting and ending point for the western NY tour of caches which had all indicated that they contained geocoins (and no other caches). Almost all of the logs read something like " Nice cache but I didn't see the coins that were supposed to be in the cache". As far as I know none of the coins have been seen since. Even with pretty strong circumstantial evidence that the missing coins was linked to a specific account TPTB didn't ban the account.

9Key Posted Today, 01:40 PM

A wise cacher one said "never release a traveler that you're not prepared to part with". They all disappear eventually.

Join the club.

Sorry that it happens but it happens more now than ever before but it has always been a problem to some degree.

Besides we don't know their situation. Sometimes life does get in the way of caching.

True, but what does it take to answer an e-mail? "Sorry, I have your coin but due to my present circumstances I will be unable to move it along any time soon"

I suppose I could say - They better have one good dadgum reason for not responding! :anibad:

But I try not to get too angsty about bugs. :)

Besides we don't know their situation. Sometimes life does get in the way of caching.

True, but what does it take to answer an e-mail? "Sorry, I have your coin but due to my present circumstances I will be unable to move it along any time soon"

Kinda hard to do if you happen to be in a coma !

The coin has not been 'confiscated' - whoever removed it from the cache it was in is either a) not playing the game properly :laughing: possibly in some sort of life crisis, like a coma or some such or just busy

A short polite email might elicit a response, on the other hand it might not, and that it about all you can do, oh that and just relax and forget about it. If it does show up you can enjoy it's travels until it disappears again !

A cacher in Ontario who will remain nameless had a travel bug hotel. Three of my coins ended up at the one time in his cache. He went out and got the 3 and kept my coins for over a year in spite of many emails. I finally put a nasty note on his cache. This is the note:

August 29 by Labrador Retriever (409 found)

If you value your geocoins I WOULD NOT PUT THEM IN THIS CACHE. The owner of this cache [name of geocacher] only has it placed because it helps him in his collection of TB and GEOCOINS. When a geocoin that he doesn’t have is logged into his cache he goes and gets and keeps it. Some times he logs them into another cache but the next geocacher that finds that cache says its not there. A geocacher took some of my geocoins from my cache in Labrador and he put them in [name of geocacher] cache [name of geocache] and [name of geocacher] went and got them. He had them for a year now and in spite of repeated attempts to get hold of him he didn’t reply and he still has 3 of my geocoins plus he has one from a good geocaching friend of mine.

It wasn’t long after that I heard from him and he promise to put my geocoins out. He tried one of his old tricks again by logging my coin into a particular cache but the very next cacher to do that cache reported it wasn’t there. I emailed him again, put a note on the cache he logged into accusing him of being a geocoin thief and said that I knew what he was up to and could he send back my coins by Canada Post. I got 2 coins back so 2 out of 3 are not bad. I then went in and deleted my note but not until I got my coin back in the mail.

Rename it "STOLEN, not lost: The case of the nicked geocoin"

This way it will show up on their inventory as this.

Only if they bothered to log the retrieve, which from my experience - when coins really go missing, i.e. 'stolen' they never get logged, the above really isn't very helpful at all, only when marking proxies for release, and even those get stolen - some folk hate proxies, either way - if you send a coin out into the world sooner or later it becomes a lose lose situation. Sadly I'm not sending any more coins out, a great hobby is one thing, throwing good money away and feeding the greed of others is just stupidity.