New* Bought Garmin 60CSX

ShawnHudson

Nope. Once you get a lock on satellites, you can start caching. Now, you gotta figure out how to input/download coordinates. Read the Manual! Then come back and look up Pocket Queries, Customized Points of Interest, GSAK (and it's macros), etc...

Shawn, I'm in the same boat as you.

Mine will be with me within 5 hours - paid extra for delivery before 1:00 :rolleyes:

I have done some reading and from what I can gather we need to get a bigger micro SD card - 2Gig should be plenty. Also we need to update to the latest firmware.

Have fun with it :anicute:

Rob

First, make sure it is updated to the most recent formware.

And you know it does not have maps preloaded on it right ?

You will need to load whatever maps you want on it.

But before loading any maps/charts, get yourself a Micro-SD card of at least 2GB in size to load the maps/charts on to it.

I also suggest reading thru the many very informative posts on this forum... the people here are very knowledgable AND helpful.

Just be polite and ask your questions......

Have fun !

When I got mine beside putting in a bigger mem card, I immediately bought US Topo from Garmin. Not so great a map, and GPSFileDept.com has better ones for free.

I've found Garmin City Navigator, however, to have taken my 60Csx to a whole different level of usefulness, in caching, and in general. But not necessary if you just want to geocache and are on a budget.

It might also be a good idea to read one of the two current threads on rechargeable batteries.

Figure out how to input coordinates in the field.

Sweet! Another Ohio cacher. It's good to know we're out there somewhere. I've only found a few myself but have been using my CSX for around a year now, tracking hikes in the CVNP and bike rides. The unit we have does a ton of useful things, so don't limit yourself to just caching purposes. The Ohio Topo from gpsfiledepot is awesome. It's a 1:24,000 scale map of the entire state with some POI's (Post offices, churches, parks and the like) The road data is fairly accurate. I'm in the Kent area and haven't been off more than a few feet while on the road. The advice of the other posters is a great start, as i've been lurking in the forums for quite some time. I've learned more about this unit from these forums than i ever would have looking at the (lame) manual that came with it. Oh yeah, one more thing. If you find yourself interested in hunting benchmarks (geodetic survey discs that mark elevation) you'll have plenty of them that come with the map. They're points on the map itself rather than having to search this site and input the coords manually. Power it, update it, load it, then get out there and have a ball! You won't be disappointed. oh yeah, link: gpsfiledepot.com, look for ohio topo.

Thanks,

Z

Wow thank you for all the information! I think this will be awesome. And i love to be outside so i'll probably look into a whole range of activities. Aso on the 60csx by linking the unit to my PC via a USB I would be able to download the waypoints on my GPS for a given area right?

Wow thank you for all the information! I think this will be awesome. And i love to be outside so i'll probably look into a whole range of activities. Aso on the 60csx by linking the unit to my PC via a USB I would be able to download the waypoints on my GPS for a given area right?

Absolutely, given that you've installed the Garmin Communicator plugin. There may be a link to it on this site, or you could just google it and install it that way. Once you have that, getting a waypoint is as simple as clicking the one you want and then clicking the "send to GPS" button. Be careful though, if you do it that way, the file comes thru as a .LOC file. .LOC files hold much less info than .GPX so you won't get the hints or anything. I haven't had a problem yet, but then again, i haven't gone after many difficult caches that would require more information than just the coords.

hey welcome to the hobby/sport! :lol:

"after" reading the whole manual thourghougly :sad: try using it around just around your house BEFORE running out to the woods in seek of a cache, get used to how the whole process "feels"

Go outside, once the GPSr aquires it's location, "save" that spot as a waypoint. Now go away from the spot then try RETURNING to the spot using just the information shown on the GPSr. you will notice satellite navigation isn't an exacting science :D and the thing might claim your saved waypoint location is not exactly where you set it. that is normal and, IMO part of the "fun" of Geocaching lol

Absolutely, given that you've installed the Garmin Communicator plugin. There may be a link to it on this site, or you could just google it and install it that way. Once you have that, getting a waypoint is as simple as clicking the one you want and then clicking the "send to GPS" button. Be careful though, if you do it that way, the file comes thru as a .LOC file. .LOC files hold much less info than .GPX so you won't get the hints or anything. I haven't had a problem yet, but then again, i haven't gone after many difficult caches that would require more information than just the coords.

How do you view the hints on the GPS?

Good question robchoc. I'm not really sure how to do that. I know one can use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and a macro to load the caches as custom points of interest. When the caches are sent in this way, they can have much more information associated with them. Unfortunately i'm still somewhat of a rookie and have no idea how to use GSAK. I know there are tutorials floating around in cyberspace that may be of help. You also may try asking in the GPS and Technology forums on this site. There are plenty of kind people, with a ton more experience than I, that would gladly help you out. Sorry i couldn't be of more assistance :unsure:

All the best,

Z

Wow this is great information. I'll worry about the hints on the GPS later.. I'll just keep a small notebook if I need the hints. I get my GPS tomorrow and am totally excited! I've been playing my PS3 on the weekends for the past year and now to have something to get me and my wife outside is awesome! Thank you to everyone who has replied. GSAK is a cool app.. I have been toying around with it a bit and finally have figured some of it out. It's a little overwhelming at first but if you hit the help feature it really walks you step by step through it. It's just a lot to do and you have to be patient to do it all.

The icons are customizable to a point. You can upload all of the current geocaching symbols into it. I don't have the link here on my laptop, but I'm sure I got it from these message boards someplace - or a google search. Then you can have the ghost and the green treasure and the smiley face, etc.

** Problem.. I mistakenly ordered the 60Cx not the 60CSx - --- I used it today and found caches fairly easy. Is it worth the trouble and the extra money to return it for the CSx? I easily loaded all my caches into it already and it came with pre-installed cache software.. Basically just concerned about the mistake - I read the reviews and am understanding the basic difference is the compase and altimeter?

** Problem.. I mistakenly ordered the 60Cx not the 60CSx - --- I used it today and found caches fairly easy. Is it worth the trouble and the extra money to return it for the CSx? I easily loaded all my caches into it already and it came with pre-installed cache software.. Basically just concerned about the mistake - I read the reviews and am understanding the basic difference is the compase and altimeter?

Unless you really need an electronic compass and the fancy altimeter, I'd stick with the Cx...it's what I use.

I figure if I need a compass, I'll have a real one with me and since I don't climb mountains, so the barometric altimeter is useless to me.

Unless you really need an electronic compass and the fancy altimeter, I'd stick with the Cx...it's what I use.

I figure if I need a compass, I'll have a real one with me and since I don't climb mountains, so the barometric altimeter is useless to me.

Cool.. So software wise no difference? just those couple things.. If thats the case I will stick to the cx

This is not something you need to do, but it is something I'd suggest you do. Apparently Garmin has a deal with gc.com where if you buy a new Garmin GPSr you can get a free 30 day premium membership. If you already are a premium member then it will extend your current premium member by 30 days. I did it and it worked wonderfully for me and it extended my existing premium membership.

I can't say if it's still running or not but if you CLICK HERE you will find a thread where it's discussed in detail. Since that thread there was another one where apparently several people could not get it to work for some reason. What they did was sent E-Mails to gc.com at the link at the bottom of the 30 day offer screen and gc.com got the 30 memberships updated for them.

Good luck and happy caching!!!! :huh:

Thank you for the info.. I did get the prem membersip :huh: Couldn't live without pocket queries lol. And Gsak is such an awesome tool. I'm a quick learner thankfully as I can see a lot of people getting frustrated with some things BUT it just takes patience. Found 5 yesterday - It's raining today but I'm going out anyway :anitongue:

Thank you for the info.. I did get the prem membersip :huh: Couldn't live without pocket queries lol. And Gsak is such an awesome tool. I'm a quick learner thankfully as I can see a lot of people getting frustrated with some things BUT it just takes patience. Found 5 yesterday - It's raining today but I'm going out anyway :anitongue:

Get 2 2GB mini SD cards if you get Topo 2008. You can load the eastern half on one and the western half on the other.

Update the software. Get a car charger (saves batteries).

Don't be afraid to call Garmin if you have ?s or problems. They are one company that employees competent, knowledgeable, courteous English speaking Americans. I have had to call them once or twice with my Zumo and once for my new 60CSx (user issues) and was taken care of each time.

I am loving my 60CSx, I've played with it more than actual use though I have found 5 caches in 5 tries and took it hiking.

I enter the coordinates in my Zumo to get driving directions then use the 60CSx to find the cache or to hike. Both are great at what they do.

Steve

Excellent choice and buy ....The 60CSX is a great GPSr, just get to know it and what it can do....with a premium membership and GSAK, you will have just about all you need for the geocaching experience.

Stay safe.

lol, been there, done that

I use the Energizer rechargeables, 2500mha

they work the best of all rechargeables I have tried

I got a 60csx a month or so ago and it rocks

happy hunting

dont forget to put batteries in it

You know I thought haha 'whatever' when i read your post but sure enough I walked out of the store and forgot the batteries lol

lol, been there and done that

I use Energizer rechargeables 2500mah

I have had the best luck with those vice all the others

got my 60csx a month or so ago and it rocks

happy hunting

I just posted this on another thread. This is how I am enjoying my new 60CSx:

As a noob I wanted the best GPSr for hiking & Geocaching. The 60CSx seemed the best after much research. I know it doesn't have the "paperless" functions of other units but it doesn't have the issues either.

My point is what I do is connect my 60CSx and my Garmin Zumo (motorcycle/car) to my laptop via USB, browse the geocache.com site for caches in my area and then select "send to gps" I send it to each unit and it shows in both with the GCxxx number. The Zumo gives me driving directions there and the 60CSx takes me to it. I then return to this site and log it as found. Now it will come up in searches with a red check mark next to it or you can elect to ignore found caches when doing new searches.

The cool thing is the Zumo (and likely the Nuvi's) saves the cache as a favorite and they show up when you're in the area along the route. I'll download a bunch of them near my home/work etc and when I to geocache I just point to the closest one on the gps.

This may be very basic to all of you but its new to me.

Steve

I am also planning to get this GPS. My friend has been really enjoying the paperless options of another GPS though. I have an older GPS I am using now and I imagine that the way I do paperless would work for the new unit when I get it too. I have a Blackberry and have Cacheberry loaded in it. Since I ALWAYS have my phone I don't carry paper with me. One thing I like about using the Blackberry with the GPS is that Cacheberry has a view with Blackberry Maps. I can then get real close to the cache, then I turn on the GPS. Saves on battery :laughing:

When you end up buying a RAM mount for your CSx, trim the button on the back, or the little tab up the top of the hole on the cradle, so there is less of a pronounced "snap" when you put the CSx into the cradle. Otherwise you will end up breaking the spine of the cradle from repeated removal of the GPS from the cradle. And get an external power cable for it.

Cheers

Bundy

First, make sure it is updated to the most recent formware.

And you know it does not have maps preloaded on it right ?

You will need to load whatever maps you want on it.

But before loading any maps/charts, get yourself a Micro-SD card of at least 2GB in size to load the maps/charts on to it.

I also suggest reading thru the many very informative posts on this forum... the people here are very knowledgable AND helpful.

Just be polite and ask your questions......

Have fun !

forget recharables.....use akaline batteries....You will be glad you did.