Oregon 400c (out) Now Colorado v/ 60 CSX

gabby13

I have been reading, looking at and pondering what to buy.

I'm looking at the Oregon, Colorodo and the 60 CSX.

Although not having any handheld I'm liking the therory of paperlass caching of the Colo. and Oregon (I understand I can get a palm or something of that sort to accomidate the 60)

I spent an hour a piece with the Oregon and Colo. the other day, outside in the sun with my fishing (Costa DelMars-good glasses). glasses on.

Keep in mind my main purpose for this unit is on the water fishing-bright sun but do plan to hike, hunt and cache with it.

Well one unit, the Oregon is not an option any longer.

If someone is considering this unit for an on the water GPS....forget about it.

This was done with brand new alkalyn batteries in both units.

You can see the Oregon without glasses but not real easily.

If you put polorized glasses on, screen is virtually blank.

If you were to mount this unit on a dash somewhat away from the grasp of your hands you would not be able to enjoy anything that it is showing you and probably become a hazard on the water, kind of like a texter while driving a car.

The Colorodo was much much better to view.

I kind of like the roller and felt I could work it pretty easily.

As far the other pros and cons to the Colo. I have to keep reading and absorbing the info.

I have held a 60 CSX in a Best Buy but not outside but would think from reading here that outside is no issue with this unit.

Seems the 60 CSX is a great unit, solid satlilte fix, accurate, tried and true.

I need more info comparing the Colo and the 60 CSX pertaining to map quality.

The Colo would have a base map in it that is fairly good enough to use.

Not sure about the 60 since the one I held was a topo model.

The Colo was the © marine unit.

I would select either a marine or topo unit but have seen most upgrade that map for more detail.

Is this the same with the 60?

Another question is, although the 60 csx is cheaper upfront have does it rack up price wise once you get the need maps (I'm thinking at least a topo and marine-I have a nuvi for car) to get what you want?

Waterproof is a must for anything I select.

All help is appreciated and has help thus far...

I have been reading, looking at and pondering what to buy.

I'm looking at the Oregon, Colorodo and the 60 CSX.

Although not having any handheld I'm liking the therory of paperlass caching of the Colo. and Oregon (I understand I can get a palm or something of that sort to accomidate the 60)

I spent an hour a piece with the Oregon and Colo. the other day, outside in the sun with my fishing (Costa DelMars-good glasses). glasses on.

Keep in mind my main purpose for this unit is on the water fishing-bright sun but do plan to hike, hunt and cache with it.

Well one unit, the Oregon is not an option any longer.

If someone is considering this unit for an on the water GPS....forget about it.

This was done with brand new alkalyn batteries in both units.

You can see the Oregon without glasses but not real easily.

If you put polorized glasses on, screen is virtually blank.

If you were to mount this unit on a dash somewhat away from the grasp of your hands you would not be able to enjoy anything that it is showing you and probably become a hazard on the water, kind of like a texter while driving a car.

The Colorodo was much much better to view.

I kind of like the roller and felt I could work it pretty easily.

As far the other pros and cons to the Colo. I have to keep reading and absorbing the info.

I have held a 60 CSX in a Best Buy but not outside but would think from reading here that outside is no issue with this unit.

Seems the 60 CSX is a great unit, solid satlilte fix, accurate, tried and true.

I need more info comparing the Colo and the 60 CSX pertaining to map quality.

The Colo would have a base map in it that is fairly good enough to use.

Not sure about the 60 since the one I held was a topo model.

The Colo was the © marine unit.

I would select either a marine or topo unit but have seen most upgrade that map for more detail.

Is this the same with the 60?

Another question is, although the 60 csx is cheaper upfront have does it rack up price wise once you get the need maps (I'm thinking at least a topo and marine-I have a nuvi for car) to get what you want?

Waterproof is a must for anything I select.

All help is appreciated and has help thus far...

Hi There,

We use our 76CSX Primarily for caching but I have used for driving directions when out of town.

My wife and I used to be avid ocean Kayakers and wanted a GPSr that we could use once the kiddlets get a little older and we start going out more often and farther out.

It has great visibility and also FLOATS.

If something is going to get dropped outdoors I usually choose the most expensive, needed item so this was a must for us.

IMHO

G

Based on experiences so far, and the fact that geocaching is lower down on prioritoes and water is high on that list, I'd say a 76CSX (over a 60.. the 76 floats).

The CO is not considered to be a great waterproof unit due to a poor back design.

If your main use is outdoor recreation including fishing - go with the 76CSx - essentially identical to the 60CSx but it floats.

My Colorado seems very waterproof but I have seen enough reports to know that at least a few are not. A little silicone grease helps a lot.

For Geocaching - You'd have a hard time beating the Colordo in my opinion but that doesn't seem your highest priority.

On other posts I have put up the 76 series has been recomendid as well.

Most of the areas I will be fishing with this unit are areas I am familiar with so the GPS will just be a back up in case of fog.

But I do plan to occasionally travel to other fishing grounds where the gps will be a more useful tool.

With that being said and thinking about it a little more, I guess the geocaching, hiking, hunting aspect of using this might be a little higher priority.

How does the 76 series handle the geocaching aspect?

Do they come with a base map that is detailed enough or will seperate maps need to be purchased?

On other posts I have put up the 76 series has been recomendid as well.

Most of the areas I will be fishing with this unit are areas I am familiar with so the GPS will just be a back up in case of fog.

But I do plan to occasionally travel to other fishing grounds where the gps will be a more useful tool.

With that being said and thinking about it a little more, I guess the geocaching, hiking, hunting aspect of using this might be a little higher priority.

How does the 76 series handle the geocaching aspect?

Do they come with a base map that is detailed enough or will seperate maps need to be purchased?

The 76CSx is identical to the 60CSX internally and functionally. The outside is a different shape and the buttons are placed differently. It would be great for geocaching or for on-water use.

You will want additional maps. I recommend getting both city maps and topo maps. Get city maps first, so you can use the auto-routing features. Topo maps are very nice if you spend time on the water (They show all the creeks and lakes, no matter how small). Both kinds of maps run about $100, less if you shop around.

Get them on DVD (not on SD cards) so you can also use them on your computer and so you can load just the maps you need without having to swich out cards. (But you can load ooodles of maps at one time. I think my husband has the entire eastern US in city maps and most of two states in topo maps on his gps right now).

A local/nationwide marine parts store (Boaters World) in going out of bisness shortly and the have everything reduced quite a bit.

I believe they have some 76 CSX units.

The only thing I'm concerned about is "all sales are final".

I like having the option of bringing something back if I don't like it as with Best Buy ect.

What do you think???

Definitely agree with you about wearing polaroids and trying to read the Oregon's screen. It can't really be done...had to take off the sunglasses, but D'oh! They're prescription glasses, see, so I still couldn't read the screen thanks to myopia.

But out wandering around today, in my normal glasses, I could read it fine. Cloudy days help.

Otherwise, am really loving the Oregon. Nice clean design, great for Geocaching (paperless!) and very rich user interface. These devices have come a long way.

I can verify the waterproof part for the 60csx, and I assume the 76. My 60 came out of its belt mount one day. bounced down a steep hillside and landed in a river. I am glad it did not float since the current would have carried it away. As it was, once I got to the river I saw my gps and its nice easily read screen (even under water). I retreived it and it is still working fine.

As far as maps are concerned. This site has free high quality Topo maps for these units.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps

A local/nationwide marine parts store (Boaters World) in going out of bisness shortly and the have everything reduced quite a bit.

I believe they have some 76 CSX units.

The only thing I'm concerned about is "all sales are final".

I like having the option of bringing something back if I don't like it as with Best Buy ect.

What do you think???

Looks like the price for the 76CSX on Boater's World ($314) is still higher than it is on Amazon.com ($297) and you don't have to worry about the sale being final on Amazon.

Does the Colorodo have a working (actual functioning) compass-electronic I believe?

Does the 76CSX have a working (actual functioning) compass-electronic I believe?

Does the 60 CSX have a working (actual functioning) compass-electronic I believe?

Does the Colorodo have a working (actual functioning) compass-electronic I believe?

Does the 76CSX have a working (actual functioning) compass-electronic I believe?

Does the 60 CSX have a working (actual functioning) compass-electronic I believe?

Yes to all three.