Geowoodstock Deadline

J-Way

The deadline for signing up for GW7 is rapidly approaching. If you want food, a parking spot within 5 miles of the event, and one of the nifty lanyards with a nametag, you have until 11:59PM CDT (GMT-5), Friday, May 1 to register and sign up at www.GeoWoodstock.com. Posting a "Will Attend" log at the cache page isn't enough; you have to create an name tag (free) if you want one.

[Edit to fix day and time - I was off by 24-hours]

Edited by J-Way

Thanx for helping to tubthump with that message. We tried to deliver it even more strongly tonight via http://www.geowoodstock.com/final_call.html If you intend to attend GeoWoodstock VII this Memorial Day weekend, your time is running out to register.

It's been really weird seeing logs on the page for people that have planned their summer vacation around it, but haven't even read the cache page.

Think of it like hosting a Superbowl party. You want to know how many people attend, so you can buy an appropriate amount of munchies and have a reasonable number of chairs. Naturally, you ask for an RSVP.

If 20 people RSVP and 2 show up, you have just spent way more on snacks and beer than you needed to. While the thought of drinking 10x beers has some appeal, it may plunge you into financial straits and destroy your liver. We wouldn't want that to happen.

If 20 people RSVP and 60 show up, you have problems beyond the couch being crowded and having only two bathrooms; you probably have a living room that the fire marshal now disapproves of. :-)

Now, take a volunteer effort (not entirely unlike your Superbowl party) and add multipliers to it which require large out-of-pocket costs and long lead times and you have some sense why we've been asking for that RSVP all year long.

We've tried to deliver that message as clearly as we could, but the number of people that are genuinely surprised at the "RSVP" requirement shocks me.

The deadline for signing up for GW7 is rapidly approaching. If you want food, a parking spot within 5 miles of the event, and one of the nifty lanyards with a nametag, you have until Midnight, April 30 to register and sign up at www.GeoWoodstock.com. Posting a "Will Attend" log at the cache page isn't enough; you have to create an name tag (free) if you want one.

But if you don't care for the nametag or to eat their grub, you can still attend the event, right? It's still open to all geocachers, even those that don't learn of the game until May 1, correct?

Absolutely, everyone is welcome, but if you are already planning on attending it will really help us out to be able to count you before the event. If you are not planning on attending and then decide to come on out, we will welcome you with open arms, if you begin caching on May 22 and want to see what the big party is like, we look forward to welcoming you to the sport, but be prepared for the fact that the folks who registered may have some cool stuff that you won't be able to get.

We are up against several deadlines, so we are placing all of our orders this weekend, excepting those we have already had to make with a good guesstimate toward our needs. Robert's superbowl party analogy is perfect, so if you think you are probably going to come, it really helps us out to know that. I want to make sure that everyone, who wants one, can get a coin, shirt, name badge, meal, etc. and I want to make sure that we rent enough parking area for everyone and that we have enough porta-potties, enough parking shuttles, etc. As long as we have good numbers to go by, those are easy to calculate, but if we are off buy a thousand then things get messy. That is another thing that is important to remember, we are talking about thousands of attendees, it's a big job to organize and to try to get everything "right". Having good numbers makes that job much easier.

I think the other thing that has been frustrating for the web team is the relatively high number of people who have posted on the cache page that they have booked a plane and rental car and are coming to the event, who have not registered @ www.GeoWodstock.com. We have tried to get the word out everywhere we can think of, including a "big letter" announcement on the cache page to remind people that they need to register, but still we have many people who say they plan to attend who have never visited GW.com We just want to make sure that our guests have the best experience possible, and we know that arguing at the registration tent about a "will attend" is not going to be fun for anyone.

With that said, we are going to do everything possible to account for and accommodate our unregistered guests, but we have to dedicate resources to our registered attendees first. I think that is the way things are supposed to work, you make things easier for the people who make things easier for you.

We have a bunch of volunteers working their bottoms off down here trying to make sure that this is the best GeoWoodstock ever, so make it easier for us, when you can and we will all work together at having a great event. We look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.

Monkeybrad

GWVII Scapegoat in Chief

I suspect that it's this little tidbit that will trip up those who plan to just show up without registering, and certainly complicates the picture for the event hosts

make sure that we rent enough parking area for everyone

I completely disagree. I believe THIS is the most important tidbit:

want to make sure that we ... have enough porta-potties

You'll realize this if you're the 500th person to use a facility that was designed for 100. Also, you do NOT want to be 20-deep in the porta-potty line when that BBQ really starts to growl. I've walked a couple of miles from parking to an event before. It's annoying, but ultimately no big deal.

BTW, the minimum paid registration is $7.50 and includes parking, one meal, and registration packet. Since most "yard scalpers" will charge at least $5.00 to park, and ignoring the cost of the registration packet, that means you'll be getting the following meal for $2.50:

Award-winning Tennessee Pulled Pork Barbeque, we will also have a limited number of pulled chicken options for those who do not eat pork, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Bread, Cookie and Drink are on the menu for sure, we also have some special items that the caterer is bringing day of.

Our registered vegetarians are having vegetable plates prepared for them, you must register for a vegetarian plate as part of your registration. We are holding off on announcing which veggies, until we see what looks best at the Farmer's Market that week. This allows us to offer the best meal possible.

Our caterer has won awards all over the southeast, trust me you are going to love the food. Of course, you can always just go the the Bell Buckle Cafe for lunch, but the caterer owns that too and they are going to have similar options on event day, only at a higher price.

I haven't registered at the website because I have no clue if I'll be going. I wanted to combine the event with a day trip to Lynchburg, but I don't think that Cathy could handle the tour in her 'condition' (odors have been causing her to get really nauseous). Seems like signing up to say I am coming and then not showing would be just as bad for your counts.

I saw the title of this thread and got all exited, seeing as how I live about an hour from THE Woodstock (and Bethel, where Woodstock was really held). Imagine my disappointment upon hitting the geowoodstock.com web site and learning that the event is in Tennessee! :o

-K

While we are looking for as accurate a count as possible, so that we can provide for amenities and facilities, this is more about our guests having a great experience. If you think you are probably coming go ahead and register so we will have your badge, etc. printed and ready to go at the check in. We are really trying to manage our resources to make sure that we provide the best experience possible and getting an accurate count is the best way for us to do that, but the important thing is that anyone who wants to join us knows that they are welcome. We are going to do our best to make sure everyone has a great time, so anything that you can do to help just makes it easier for us. So tip your hat to Jerry MacGuire and "Help us, help you".

Thanks again, we look forward to seeing you all in May,

Brad

Edit to add:

While GeoWoodstock is in Tennessee this year, this annual event travels all over the place, if you want to see GeoWoodstock @ Woodstock encourage your local group to put in a bid to host the event. I think the THE Woodstock would be an awesome location for the event.

Edited by Monkeybrad

I think it bares mentioning that the free registration DOES NOT include parking. There are a few people that I've talked to that thought otherwise.

http://www.geowoodstock.com/faq.php?panel=cost and http://www.geowoodstock.com/store/index.php seem pretty clear. At the bottom, it doesn't say that the free registration doesn't include parking, but it also doesn't say that it doesn't include a unicorn. :-)

Yeah, the parking thing has been a huge headache. I thought we were providing a great perk, by going ahead and renting space for our guests to park, since it guarantees that they will have an area to park free of charge.

Bell Buckle is like anywhere else festivals or sporting events are held. People will be offering their yards, fields etc. for parking on the day of the event, for other events in town these prices range from $5.00 to $10.00 dollars. To keep the local vultures from "nickel and diming" our guests we decided to head this off by renting an area for parking and providing shuttles from the parking area to all of the event locations and around town. So we needed a good working number to make sure we rented enough space, and doing that through paid registrations seemed the best way, simply because people who have already invested in attending the event are more likely to actually arrive at the event and use the parking, and because I thought it would be a nice way to say thank you to the people who helped fund this party. I am sure that there will be ample parking for anyone who shows up, we are just trying to make sure that those we know are coming are provided for.

I haven't registered at the website because I have no clue if I'll be going. I wanted to combine the event with a day trip to Lynchburg, but I don't think that Cathy could handle the tour in her 'condition' (odors have been causing her to get really nauseous). Seems like signing up to say I am coming and then not showing would be just as bad for your counts.

If your wife's "condition" is the same as my wife's, then 1) Congratulations! and 2) Some of those vats at Jack's house could make anyone nauseous, but maybe she'll be over that stage by next month.

I say sign up anyway and come if you can.

This is the parking you receive as part of your registration, just show your receipt at the gate.

quote is of Monkeybrad's post in the GW7 forum

So to get into the free provided parking a cacher needs to bring a printout of a "confirmation" or "receipt" and what is that? more critically, where is that? a print out of the page with the paid registration? would that work? is that what you mean?

BTW, the minimum paid registration is $7.50 and includes parking, one meal, and registration packet. Since most "yard scalpers" will charge at least $5.00 to park, and ignoring the cost of the registration packet, that means you'll be getting the following meal for $2.50:

Except, if I pay the minimum for the total 5 people in my van (ignoring the cost of the registration packet) I would be getting one meal for $2.50 and four meals for $7.50; or five meals for $6.50.

Unless you're saying that I have to pay parking for each individual and not by the vehicle load...?

Edited by Castle Mischief

I think it bares mentioning that the free registration DOES NOT include parking. There are a few people that I've talked to that thought otherwise.

http://www.geowoodstock.com/faq.php?panel=cost and http://www.geowoodstock.com/store/index.php seem pretty clear. At the bottom, it doesn't say that the free registration doesn't include parking, but it also doesn't say that it doesn't include a unicorn. :-)

Cryptic and confusing. Does the free registration include parking or no? Your double negatives have me running in circles.

Here is the deal.

We decided to rent parking so that our guests would not have to hunt for free parking or pay a separate fee to park their cars. This cost us money. Since it is an amenity that we used time and money to provide, I thought it made sense to let people know that it was being taken care of on their behalf and that this was one of the many things that their money was going toward funding, so it was included as a perk in the registration packets. Since we are being charged for the parking location and it holds a finite number of vehicles, we decided that we would give first preference to our guests with paid registrations.

I think the links Robert provided were pretty clear that parking is not included in free registrations, and your parking pass covers the entire vehicle, not individuals. Don't worry though, this should not be that difficult, show up, have fun, I am sure that we will find parking for everyone, registered or not. We are trying to do what is best for our guests and we thought that making sure there was ample parking for people would be a good thing, I guess I don't understand why this is an issue.

As far as a "printed confirmation", things will go much more smoothly if everyone prints out their confirmed order page or their paid order summary and brings it with them, as requested in the confirmed order email that all registered guests should have received. You can find this under your account on www.geowoodstock.com, just go to the "My Account" tab and select view order history.

So, if one wasn't to pay for a registration and just showed up, how much would a unicorn cost?

Due to their costly and unpredictable nature, Unicorns are only available as part of the Double Secret Titanium registration level and will not be available for unregistered attendees on the day of the event. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I think the links Robert provided were pretty clear that parking is not included in free registrations, and your parking pass covers the entire vehicle, not individuals.

I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk, and I thank you for clearing up the issue and for the hard work you and the rest of the team have put into this event- but I don't see anything that is "pretty clear" in those links in regard to parking being per person or per vehicle.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't mind paying for the parking- I expect to pay for the parking. It just wasn't clear how much I was going to pay for the parking.

Don't worry though, this should not be that difficult, show up, have fun, I am sure that we will find parking for everyone, registered or not. We are trying to do what is best for our guests and we thought that making sure there was ample parking for people would be a good thing, I guess I don't understand why this is an issue.

It's an issue because it's money. Money is not a "not that difficult, show up, have fun" subject by default these days. I'm sure, with the time and money that you've put into this event, you understand.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Ok, you got me, it is a money issue, so I will spill the beans. I can only assume that you are looking for information trying to decide whether or not to upgrade your five current free registrations, so I will try to oblige.

A bronze registration breaks down like this, you pay $7.50 for the bronze registration, and here is how we apply that money to the amenities. We take $7.50 and place it in the general fund with the other paid registrations, sponsorships and donations. From that fund we purchase everything needed for the event, including but not limited to, a couple of thousand catered meals, facilities rental, parking rental, parking shuttle rental and salaries, insurance, sound equipment, tents, trash pickup, security, medical personnel, signage, communications, porta-potties, geocoins, t-shirts and other swag; not to mention a million and one various federal, state and local fees and taxes, the list goes on and on.

So when it comes to a bronze registration, $7.50 of what you pay goes to cover a portion of the cost of your meal cost, leaving exactly $0.00 to cover the remaining portion of your meal cost, your registration packet, badge printing , lanyard, parking pass and swag. Luckily, those additional costs are covered through the generosity of our sponsors, donors and those who chose to contribute something extra by purchasing a platinum membership.

So when you get to the event be sure to thank not only the volunteers for all of their hard work, but look around and thank all of the sponsors who help make an event of this size and expense possible. You might also want to offer a quick tip of the hat to those folks wearing a platinum badge, who chose to help defray the cost of this event so that we could offer amenities like guaranteed free parking to our other guests. Happily, it is a "show up and have fun" issue for anyone who chooses to attend whether they choose to purchase a paid registration or not, because of the generosity of a bunch of people and the hard work of literally hundreds of volunteers.

I hope that you find this helpful in your decision making process, if I can be of any other service please do not hesitate to contact me.

Ok, you got me, it is a money issue, so I will spill the beans. I can only assume that you are looking for information trying to decide whether or not to upgrade your five current free registrations, so I will try to oblige.

A bronze registration breaks down like this, you pay $7.50 for the bronze registration, and here is how we apply that money to the amenities. We take $7.50 and place it in the general fund with the other paid registrations, sponsorships and donations. From that fund we purchase everything needed for the event, including but not limited to, a couple of thousand catered meals, facilities rental, parking rental, parking shuttle rental and salaries, insurance, sound equipment, tents, trash pickup, security, medical personnel, signage, communications, porta-potties, geocoins, t-shirts and other swag; not to mention a million and one various federal, state and local fees and taxes, the list goes on and on.

So when it comes to a bronze registration, $7.50 of what you pay goes to cover a portion of the cost of your meal cost, leaving exactly $0.00 to cover the remaining portion of your meal cost, your registration packet, badge printing , lanyard, parking pass and swag. Luckily, those additional costs are covered through the generosity of our sponsors, donors and those who chose to contribute something extra by purchasing a platinum membership.

So when you get to the event be sure to thank not only the volunteers for all of their hard work, but look around and thank all of the sponsors who help make an event of this size and expense possible. You might also want to offer a quick tip of the hat to those folks wearing a platinum badge, who chose to help defray the cost of this event so that we could offer amenities like guaranteed free parking to our other guests. Happily, it is a "show up and have fun" issue for anyone who chooses to attend whether they choose to purchase a paid registration or not, because of the generosity of a bunch of people and the hard work of literally hundreds of volunteers.

I hope that you find this helpful in your decision making process, if I can be of any other service please do not hesitate to contact me.

I completely appreciate all the hard work of the largely unpaid group of people that have been putting so much of themselves to make it fun for everybody involved.

Please understand that what I say next is with respect: how much money I decide is within my budget is not affected by how much of my expenditure pays for which aspect of this event.

I have no issue with paying $7.50 for a catered meal. No issue with paying $7.50 to park my vehicle and certainly no issue getting both and the registration packet for the same price. It's simple matter of figuring out if I would need to pay $7.50 or $37.50. That's all it is. One is slightly more affordable than the other and as I'm sure you can see I've already paid for $15 for two bronze subscriptions- because I felt it was the best path to take considering my budget. My only question was if parking was per person or per vehicle and that has been answered.

I'm not challenging the value of the meal or the parking I'm just looking at my bottom line. There were many things to consider; will all five of us go, how many of us will eat, how long will we be in town, could we get by on bringing our own sandwiches, could we split the catered food, etc. We will show and and have fun and not worry about it when we get there, but in this stage of planning our trip it's all about the money.

I wish it didn't have to be. If we were able to I'd drop the cash for 5 plat tickets.