Designing products for cachers - help!

This aint spam, don't worry. :unsure:

Here's the skinny:

I make all natural soap and other personal care products. I also cache.

I'm designing a line of products that are specifically useful for people who enjoy outdoor activities that may take them far off the beaten path into various thorns, poison ivy, and bugs.

I can work off my experience as a cacher, hiker and camper, but would also like more feedback on what kinds of products y'all use (eg. bug repellent, sunscreen, lip balm, poison ivy soap, hand sanitiser, etc?) while on the trail, during a camp-out or after you get home from a long day in the wilderness. What is it that you would really like to see all in one line of products, tailored to your specific needs... especially if there are allergy and other sensitive skin concerns?

Thanks for any feedback and help you can give. :lol:

There are many products out there that serve these purposes I suppose. But I like supporting people who like to design and make producs on their own.

This weekend our top concerns were mosquitoes, flies, and sunburn. I don't really keep products on me that help with any of these things because i'm kind of lazy and my geobag is already huge and heavy. Perhaps some travel or small sized containers of items like this would be nice. A kit that can be used for 2 or so people but easily carried (and not lost at the bottom) in your geobag?

my $0.02!

:unsure:

Don't I deserve better than trolls?

I thought my request was pretty simple and straight-forward and obviously I have enough respect to not try to sell you anything because I haven't told you where/how to get anything I make. I'm just asking for information. Can't I get respect in return? :unsure:

Edited by Redneck Parrotheads

This aint spam, don't worry. :lol:

Here's the skinny:

I'm designing a line of products that are specifically useful for people who enjoy outdoor activities that may take them far off the beaten path into various thorns, poison ivy, and bugs.

I can work off my experience as a cacher, hiker and camper, but would also like more feedback on what kinds of products y'all use (eg. bug repellent, sunscreen, lip balm, poison ivy soap, hand sanitiser, etc?) while on the trail, during a camp-out or after you get home from a long day in the wilderness. What is it that you would really like to see all in one line of products, tailored to your specific needs... especially if there are allergy and other sensitive skin concerns?

Thanks for any feedback and help you can give. :P

How can I effectively SPAM this forum? Thanks.

Fixed. :unsure:

I'm no troll.

My first post was a joke based on your post quoted.

My second was what I think of your OP. Too much subliminal (or "just liminal enough to slip by") SPAM around here anymore.

Good luck with your products. I like natural products. SPAM isn't one.

(I'm not picking on you personally, you just caught me at the right/wrong time.)

I'm no troll.

My second was what I think of your OP. Too much subliminal (or "just liminal enough to slip by") SPAM around here anymore.

(I'm not picking on you personally, you just caught me at the right/wrong time.)

Alright... You have no clue where to buy anything I make and the thing I'm talking about doesn't exist. If that's spamming, I'm doing it wrong. :unsure:

I'm trying to get information and if you're in the wrong mood to provide some productive feedback, move along. It is a bit trollish even if you're not a troll. This aint my first rodeo. I'm not a virgin to this forum. I'm just looking for something that I can work with to make something somebody may want and find useful. I get there with feedback.

When the line is produced and marketed, it certainly won't be advertised on the Groundspeak forums! (unless it's in that little google box up top) :lol:

There are many products out there that serve these purposes I suppose. But I like supporting people who like to design and make producs on their own.

This weekend our top concerns were mosquitoes, flies, and sunburn. I don't really keep products on me that help with any of these things because i'm kind of lazy and my geobag is already huge and heavy. Perhaps some travel or small sized containers of items like this would be nice. A kit that can be used for 2 or so people but easily carried (and not lost at the bottom) in your geobag?

my $0.02!

:unsure:

Good ideas, Amianda. As for the rest of the post, OK kids recess is over.

I'm no troll.

Alright... You have no clue where to buy anything I make and the thing I'm talking about doesn't exist. If that's spamming, I'm doing it wrong. :unsure:

I'm trying to get information and if you're in the wrong mood to provide some productive feedback, move along. It is a bit trollish even if you're not a troll. This aint my first rodeo. I'm not a virgin to this forum. I'm just looking for something that I can work with to make something somebody may want and find useful. I get there with feedback.

When the line is produced and marketed, it certainly won't be advertised on the Groundspeak forums! (unless it's in that little google box up top) :lol:

Call it "market research" then, or whatever you want to. Still not the place for it, IMO, no more than it is for "check out my blog or youtube channel or MyFace or..." I'd as soon read "the usual suspects" endlessly debate the virtues/evils of poetry ALRs or why micros aren't really caches.

Again, good luck.

What about a soap that could be broken off, or shaved off...something that doesn't get wet and stay slimey, etc.

I don't know how to be more help or describe a product that solves that problem, but thats one of the things I currently dislike about typical bar soap. It gets wet, stays wet, and has to be carried inside a container which it will turn into a giant mess. Liquid soaps, such as body gels and the like, are nice but the use per unit ratio is not very high, and it doesn't last very long.

Probably not very helpful, but seeing your post, that was my first thought.

Good luck.

(And because your soliciting advise rather than shoving links down our throats, I don't see it as spam. If anything, you are asking for us to spam you lol)

Edited by stevensj2

Oh c'mon people. Throw me a bone here!

Glad to help. Thank you for having asked. The consumer products that would be most useful to me as a geocacher are those listed below; each should be all-natural, organic and free of synthetics; list follows

• an inexpensive jetpack which will stay aloft for at least 19 minutes on one fueling
  • a small inexpensive personal helicopter capable of traveling at least 150 mph and capable of traveling 500 miles on one tank of fuel
  • a small and safe and reliable interdimensional portal that will allow me to find caches on thousands of alternate dimensional worlds

Hope this helps!

What about a soap that could be broken off, or shaved off...something that doesn't get wet and stay slimey, etc.

I don't know how to be more help or describe a product that solves that problem, but thats one of the things I currently dislike about typical bar soap. It gets wet, stays wet, and has to be carried inside a container which it will turn into a giant mess. Liquid soaps, such as body gels and the like, are nice but the use per unit ratio is not very high, and it doesn't last very long.

Probably not very helpful, but seeing your post, that was my first thought.

Good luck.

(And because your soliciting advise rather than shoving links down our throats, I don't see it as spam. If anything, you are asking for us to spam you lol)

I've never seen something like this. I'm imagining a hersey chocolate bar... but of soap. Is that kinda what you're saying?

(and thank you)

Glad to help. Thank you for having asked. The consumer products that would be most useful to me as a geocacher are those listed below; each should be all-natural, organic and free of synthetics; list follows

• an inexpensive jetpack which will stay aloft for at least 19 minutes on one fueling
  • a small inexpensive personal helicopter capable of traveling at least 150 mph and capable of traveling 500 miles on one tank of fuel
  • a small and safe and reliable interdimensional portal that will allow me to find caches on thousands of alternate dimensional worlds

Hope this helps!

I want to change my answer.... :unsure:

Edited by Pork King

We agree, the wipes are the bomb! Maybe like a little travel pack of all kinds of wipes. Nothing better than a "wet one" after you just stuck your hand in a wet pile of yuck to pull out the cache! :unsure:

Around here the big worries are ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy and the sun. Too bad there isn't an all in one spray! Also, I hate whatever the stuff is in insect repellent is that melts plastic. If there was an all natural insect repellent that really worked and it didn't melt my flip flops, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

What about different type of wipeys? Maybe one with sunscreen and one with soap to take off fresh poison ivy oil, etc... Just wipe on and you're done! Convenient to carry, too!

• an inexpensive jetpack which will stay aloft for at least 19 14 minutes on one fueling what's 5 minutes?
  • a small inexpensive personal helicopter capable of traveling at least 150 mph and capable of traveling 500 475 miles on one tank of fuel what's 25 miles?
  • a small and safe and reliable interdimensional portal that will allow me to find caches on thousands of alternate dimensional worlds your interdimensional caching permit was pulled because you couldn't leave the nanny goats (and their interdimensional counterparts) alone and you know it, Vinny

Hope this helps!

I want to cahnge my answer.... :unsure:

Vinny's just griping, I have already provided him with his desires with only slight variations as indicated (and I had no need to SPAM or do "market research" on these forums, either. I knew my market.)

We agree, the wipes are the bomb! Maybe like a little travel pack of all kinds of wipes. Nothing better than a "wet one" after you just stuck your hand in a wet pile of yuck to pull out the cache! :unsure:

Around here the big worries are ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy and the sun. Too bad there isn't an all in one spray! Also, I hate whatever the stuff is in insect repellent is that melts plastic. If there was an all natural insect repellent that really worked and it didn't melt my flip flops, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

What about different type of wipeys? Maybe one with sunscreen and one with soap to take off fresh poison ivy oil, etc... Just wipe on and you're done! Convenient to carry, too!

Thanks! This is useful stuff! :lol:

Yeah the 'hersheys' bar of soap, especially if you made it that thin, would be good. Also good - if the soap was not harmful to the environment, so people could use it in the woods, with streamwater, or whatever where there wasnt a sink nearby.

I also like the wipes idea, expecially if there were different kinds (and they weren't too heavily scented!

Don't mind the grumps around here. Sometimes people can be unnecessarily mean. On the other hand I did think you were being a tiny bit impatient at the start of the thread, no offense.

My mantra is as always, everyone calm down, take a breath, and try to be friendly. :unsure:

Yeah the 'hersheys' bar of soap, especially if you made it that thin, would be good. Also good - if the soap was not harmful to the environment, so people could use it in the woods, with streamwater, or whatever where there wasnt a sink nearby.

I also like the wipes idea, expecially if there were different kinds (and they weren't too heavily scented!

Don't mind the grumps around here. Sometimes people can be unnecessarily mean. On the other hand I did think you were being a tiny bit impatient at the start of the thread, no offense.

My mantra is as always, everyone calm down, take a breath, and try to be friendly. :unsure:

Thanks!

I'm thinking the wipes would have to be quick disintegrating, even though cachers practice CITO. I don't know how any of this will come together but the feedback is good stuff. It's a great start to have something to consider. :lol:

• an inexpensive jetpack which will stay aloft for at least 19 14 minutes on one fueling what's 5 minutes?
  • a small inexpensive personal helicopter capable of traveling at least 150 mph and capable of traveling 500 475 miles on one tank of fuel what's 25 miles?
  • a small and safe and reliable interdimensional portal that will allow me to find caches on thousands of alternate dimensional worlds your interdimensional caching permit was pulled because you couldn't leave the nanny goats (and their interdimensional counterparts) alone and you know it, Vinny

Hope this helps!

I want to change my answer.... :unsure:

Vinny's just griping, I have already provided him with his desires with only slight variations as indicated (and I had no need to SPAM or do "market research" on these forums, either. I knew my market.)

It was jennie donkeys, not nanny goats, but I can say no more due to the gag order imposed upon me by the Fourth Interdimensional Circuit Court at the time of my conviction.

Thanks for any feedback and help you can give. :unsure:

I get annoyed when people yell after no responses. Yelling after only 10 minutes has to be a world record. I read the forum once a day. To hit that 10 window would have been a miracle. The real topper is that you are a Parrot Head. What ever happened to "Breathe in; Breathe Out; Move On"?

Here's the skinny:

It is well-known in the healthcare field that low-dose radiation from natural sources has been shown to enhance biological responses for immune systems, enzymatic repair, physiological functions, and the removal of cellular damage, including prevention and removal of cancers and other diseases. Despite the fact that radiation hormesis, aka radiation nutrition, has recently become a major fad in the alternative health world and even, to some extent, in the mainstream healthcare world, witnessed by the fact that several books and

have been published by MDs and others in the healthcare field on that topic in the past few months alone, there is nonetheless currently a real dearth of radioactive soaps, radioactive skincare lotions, radioactive clay pastes and radioactive mud packs in the marketplace for use on the skin in eliminating inflammation due to insect bites, sunburn, windburn, poison ivy and other irritants from plants and in repairing past damage. In fact, in the USA, the only producer/vendor of such radioactive products that I can think of is my friend and colleague Jay at Nighthawk Minerals in Colorado.

So, since geocachers regularly encounter all the situations listed above (i.e., insect bites, sunburn, windburn, poison ivy and other irritants from plants) and since at least perhaps 40% of geocachers are users of alternative health products, I would like to suggest that you create an all-natural and organic line of products as follows:

• radioactive uranium soap, containing finely-powdered/milled uranium ore
  • radioactive thorium soap, containing finely-powdered/milled thorium-rich sands
  • radioactive skincare lotion, containing from 5% to 35% finely-powdered uranium ore
  • radioactive mud packs, containing from 50% to 80% finely-powdered uranium ore, admixed with selected calcium bentonite clays
  • radioactive dry packs sealed in plastic sleeves, containing 50% to 80% finely-powdered uranium ore, admixed with sodium bentonite clays

Further, since many folks are now starting to drink radioactive water enriched with radon and radon progeny, you may wish to also come out with a bottled water product for geocachers and other outdoor sports aficionados, exhibiting a radiance of at least 100,000 pCi/L. You would produce the water in a stainless steel tank filled with crushed uranium ore, of course.

Hope this helps!

a well-known soap manufacturer makes a little package of soap that's little tiny leaves that are just big enough for one use, which is handy.

it would be handier if it were a poison ivy soap in a waterproof container so that it won't get soggy in humid conditions.

i use a lot of lip balm, but require something that protects and moisturizes. salomon (yes, the ski company) makes (or buys) a good one that they use promotionally, but i've never seen for sale. my previous favorite brand has just started adding floral scents, so that's a nightmare for me.

while out caching i typically wash my hair and body with a pint of water i heat on a single-burner stove. shampoo that rinses clean easily would be useful to me.

while caching i get bad hangnails and need a good moisturizer that's not greasy and is natural and largely unscented. there's a brand i like, but have never seen it available for sale (i get one or two samples a year).

i despise bug dope; i won't use poisons and natural bug dope just smells horrible and i'd rather be eaten alive than go around all day smelling like THAT.

so:

natural materials

unscented

does the job

comes in small containers for travel

Here's the skinny:

It is well-known in the healthcare field that low-dose radiation from natural sources has been shown to enhance biological responses for immune systems, enzymatic repair, physiological functions, and the removal of cellular damage, including prevention and removal of cancers and other diseases. Despite the fact that radiation hormesis, aka radiation nutrition, has recently become a major fad in the alternative health world and even, to some extent, in the mainstream healthcare world, witnessed by the fact that several books and

have been published by MDs and others in the healthcare field on that topic in the past few months alone, there is nonetheless currently a real dearth of radioactive soaps, radioactive skincare lotions, radioactive clay pastes and radioactive mud packs in the marketplace for use on the skin in eliminating inflammation due to insect bites, sunburn, windburn, poison ivy and other irritants from plants and in repairing past damage. In fact, in the USA, the only producer/vendor of such radioactive products that I can think of is my friend and colleague Jay at Nighthawk Minerals in Colorado.

So, since geocachers regularly encounter all the situations listed above (i.e., insect bites, sunburn, windburn, poison ivy and other irritants from plants) and since at least perhaps 40% of geocachers are users of alternative health products, I would like to suggest that you create an all-natural and organic line of products as follows:

• radioactive thorium soap, containing finely-powdered/milled thorium-rich sands
  • radioactive skincare lotion, containing from 5% to 35% finely-powdered uranium ore
  • radioactive mud packs, containing from 50% to 80% finely-powdered uranium ore, admixed with selected calcium bentonite clays
  • radioactive dry packs sealed in plastic sleeves, containing 50% to 80% finely-powdered uranium ore, admixed with sodium bentonite clays

Further, since many folks are now starting to drink radioactive water enriched with radon and radon progeny, you may wish to also come out with a bottled water product for geocachers and other outdoor sports aficionados, exhibiting a radiance of at least 100,000 pCi/L. You would produce the water in a stainless steel tank filled with crushed uranium ore, of course.

Hope this helps!

Just a quick post to add a belated footnote to my above post for the OP:

If you should need help in designing and formulating any of these radioactive skincare products or radioactive water products, I am willing to work with on this; I am a well-recognized internationally-known R&D and product development consultant in this field (and in a number of related fields) and can deliver prototype product samples to you within four weeks of initiation of contractual product development services.

Hope this helps!

Well gosh, Vinny, that's helpful! But I could just use this Artesian well. :unsure:

Hope this helps!

Well gosh, Vinny, that's helpful! But I could just use this Artesian well. :unsure:

So... let me get this straight: You came here and begged us repeatedly to give you product ideas for your business, and yet you have turned my suggestion into a JOKE? :lol::P:D

Sorry... I had mistakenly believed that your request was sincere, and that you were seriously looking for product suggestions for natural skincare products for geocachers. Now that I know that you are an idle dilletante who was simply trolling for the fun of it, I will refrain from sharing further product suggestions.

These may have been said, but I didn't feel like reading all those responses before work this morning. I'll read them later I promise

Anywhoo,

I am an avid camper, and by camper I mean find a clearing in the forest and make a camp. The problem I always have is it takes too much darn water to wash all the soap off. We have a homemade camp shower that is basicly a bucket with some holes in the bottom of it hung from a tree. We take milk jugs of water from the creek or river and fill the bucket and let the water be sun warmed and then take our "shower" at night. If you could make a soap that it doesn't take much water to wash off you would be one rich bird. :laughing:

These may have been said, but I didn't feel like reading all those responses before work this morning. I'll read them later I promise

Anywhoo,

I am an avid camper, and by camper I mean find a clearing in the forest and make a camp. The problem I always have is it takes too much darn water to wash all the soap off. We have a homemade camp shower that is basicly a bucket with some holes in the bottom of it hung from a tree. We take milk jugs of water from the creek or river and fill the bucket and let the water be sun warmed and then take our "shower" at night. If you could make a soap that it doesn't take much water to wash off you would be one rich bird. :laughing:

This is an actual intentional design by most commercial companies because people associate CLEAN with lather. So the more elements and preservatives that they toss in to build up the lather, the more people will psychologically feel that the soap works... and they'll buy it again.

You can get soap that will rinse easily right now and it doesn't have to be cacher-specific. What you're looking for is pure olive oil soap, or castile. Sometimes coconut oil is tossed in to add lather. If you want it completely without lather so the water isn't making MORE bubbles when you're trying to rinse it off, go with the 100% olive oil soap. TONS of people make it and it should be available from your local Natural Food store!

I hope this helps!

I'm no troll.

Ya right, too many people on this forum have what you said. Some people simply talk too much! :laughing:

Hope this helps!

Well gosh, Vinny, that's helpful! But I could just use this Artesian well. :laughing:

So... let me get this straight: You came here and begged us repeatedly to give you product ideas for your business, and yet you have turned my suggestion into a JOKE? :laughing::D:D

Sorry... I had mistakenly believed that your request was sincere, and that you were seriously looking for product suggestions for natural skincare products for geocachers. Now that I know that you are an idle dilletante who was simply trolling for the fun of it, I will refrain from sharing further product suggestions.

Awww, I'm sorry, Vinny. I should know better than to link to Waymarking here. :laughing:

Being an ole fat crippled guy who is, (according to my smarter half), hygienically challenged, I like simple solutions. Things that make my jaunt into the woods easier earn my dollar. Toward that end, I really like the earlier responses regarding different products in wipe form. For the casual hiker, wipes are dang near the ultimate storage solution. I think your biggest problem is going to be marketing. The big name companies already offer various hygiene and insecticide products in this format, so you'd be faced with convincing the consumer that yours was noticeably better.

I look forward to your success. :)

-Sean

This is an actual intentional design by most commercial companies because people associate CLEAN with lather. So the more elements and preservatives that they toss in to build up the lather, the more people will psychologically feel that the soap works... and they'll buy it again.

You can get soap that will rinse easily right now and it doesn't have to be cacher-specific. What you're looking for is pure olive oil soap, or castile. Sometimes coconut oil is tossed in to add lather. If you want it completely without lather so the water isn't making MORE bubbles when you're trying to rinse it off, go with the 100% olive oil soap. TONS of people make it and it should be available from your local Natural Food store!

I hope this helps!

see, now, you asked for practical advice and you ended up giving it.

i'll keep this in mind, thank you.

I hope this helps!

see, now, you asked for practical advice and you ended up giving it.

i'll keep this in mind, thank you.

You're welcome! I'm happy when I can give an answer to solve someone's problem now. :D

Basic H, made by Shaklee is a surficant (makes water wetter) that works for washing without a lot problems rinsing, and it isEco friendly.

I wouldn't recommend Shaklee because of the cost, but they do make a wipe version of their Basic H cleaning agent, which is difficult to find from people who specialize in making bar and liquid soaps. So if cost isn't a factor, they're alright. I'm not going to dive into this issue too much but I'll say that "organic" is a very flexible word for some companies and it's always wise to check the ingredients if being organic is important. If it's not important, then it wouldn't matter. :D