Stealth required?

walter96

I am new and have not looked for any caches yet. I was looking at some of the caches in my area pn the map and I was wondering what it ment by stealth required. Is it just saying that it is in an area that has people around it and you should be careful so you don't look out of the ordinary, or does that mean the cache is on private property or close to someones yard?

It means the finder placed it where muggles are present in such larger numbers that you have to look like a sneaky person worth reporting to authorities just find the cache. Or come back on the rare occasion when muggles aren't there.

Stealth required is their way to say. "Um please don't get caught looking for my cache I think it may go missing if you do".

It means there are normally lots of potential observers that may or may not watch as you find the cache, sign the log and replace it.

To me it means I should act boldy and walk right up to the cache location, take care of business and leave. Look and act like I know 100% for sure what I am doing and why. Act as though it is my job and business to be there doing that. Carry a clipboard. Such folks blend into the business of everyday life. People who act stealthy tend to attract a lot of attention.

I usually wander around aimlessly having a conversation with my GPS to my ear somewhere along the lines of " well you said 2:00.... well I'm not going to stay forever, when can you get there......uh huh uh huh ..."nd aimlessly poking and kicking thIngs; Nobody really pays enough attention to realize thart my GPS doesn't have a phone in it. You'd be suprised how little people in the US really pay attention to others. I've heard that it's different in hispanic countries... FYI, the rules say that if it's on pruivate property the Cache owner (CO) needs to get permission first. I still pre fer not to cross any signs that say " no trespassing" regardless.

It means there are normally lots of potential observers that may or may not watch as you find the cache, sign the log and replace it.

To me it means I should act boldy and walk right up to the cache location, take care of business and leave. Look and act like I know 100% for sure what I am doing and why. Act as though it is my job and business to be there doing that. Carry a clipboard. Such folks blend into the business of everyday life. People who act stealthy tend to attract a lot of attention.

OK, StarBrand, what is your secret for walking right up to the Cache location? :P

I usually wander around aimlessly having a conversation with my GPS to my ear somewhere along the lines of " well you said 2:00.... well I'm not going to stay forever, when can you get there......uh huh uh huh ..."nd aimlessly poking and kicking thIngs; Nobody really pays enough attention to realize thart my GPS doesn't have a phone in it. You'd be suprised how little people in the US really pay attention to others. I've heard that it's different in hispanic countries... FYI, the rules say that if it's on pruivate property the Cache owner (CO) needs to get permission first. I still pre fer not to cross any signs that say " no trespassing" regardless.

ROFL... that's one of my favorite stealthy techniques... "aimlessly" poking at stuff while on a fake phone conversation... Doesnt work very well if you have to get down and look underneath things though!

ROFL... that's one of my favorite stealthy techniques... "aimlessly" poking at stuff while on a fake phone conversation... Doesnt work very well if you have to get down and look underneath things though!

I suppose you could "drop" your GPS, unless you're on concrete in which case I don't recommend that.

True. This is the best method if you really don't want to attract attention but want to look when muggles are all around.

I suppose you could "drop" your GPS, unless you're on concrete in which case I don't recommend that.

How about this..the seeker is talking on the phone, notepad and pen in hand like he's taking notes from his caller. The seeker then "drops" his pen and it rolls under the hiding place. Of course he has to get on his hands and knees to retrieve the pen - and to look for the suspected cache in the hiding place.

How about this..the seeker is talking on the phone, notepad and pen in hand like he's taking notes from his caller. The seeker then "drops" his pen and it rolls under the hiding place. Of course he has to get on his hands and knees to retrieve the pen - and to look for the suspected cache in the hiding place.

I like that one a lot :rolleyes: Good idea!

My all time favorite "stealth" was when I was down in the US for work and thought I'd go out one night and do some caching. The GPS led me to this mall where there were a lot of cars and a sort of hedge between two sections of parking lot. GZ was in the bushes so I knew I'd have to dig through them to find the cache. With lots of people around, I literally through my rental car keys into the bush, and then had an "excuse" to be rummaging around.

You had it right the first time. Stealth Required means the geocache is in an area where you can be easily watched while looking and gives a higher probability of being muggled if you are not careful. Geocaches should never be on private property unless specifically told in the description.

-HHH :rolleyes:

OK, StarBrand, what is your secret for walking right up to the Cache location? :rolleyes:

Still wondering how you do this. :>}

Hehehe - Clipboard - I never thought of that. I need to pick one of those up, along with a magnetic 'cable company' sign for my truck and a grey 'Contracted by <insert cable company name here>' jacket.

:)

Having tried most of the stealth techniques described I use yet another - the mad photographer! Using the gps as a camera gives you a great excuse to look really silly when you try to catch that odd angle for your next shot. I've noticed people looking at me with that "what the heck is he... oh, he's taking a photo" look and then just move on. The phone approach is also great since people on the phone usually ARE looking silly, not aware of what they're doing at all.

Another thing I like is the "I have business here and it's official" approach. What I would like is a yellow or orange vest with a big "GeoTech" on the back side. That together with a clipboard and a device for uses unknown (your gps of course) would give you all the right in the world to poke into ventilation grills, behind pipes or wherever you fancy. Should anyone ask what you're doing an answer including "magnetic flux", "geotechnical survey" or some other mumbo jumbo will keep the muggler happy :)