Cell phone Caching

Have you considered what OS? There are geocaching applications for WM, Palm, iPhone, et cetera.

I've been looking at upgrading my cellphone to one that I can geocache with. What is everyone's experience with caching with one and what works well and what doesn't?

Thanks

My cell phone company is At&t. The only other company in the area are Alltel and im not really sure I want an iPhone.

Curve+BlackStar+PQs on the memory card. B* will import the caches, sort, you can log the cache right from the phone, and if you really need to, view it's location using googlemaps (can't use BBMaps on the new Curve).

My cell phone company is At&t. The only other company in the area are Alltel and im not really sure I want an iPhone.

I am telling you from a lot of research and experience I am a PC manufacturer and really had a hard time considering the iPhone but once I made the choice with the geocaching app as well as everything else it does it is by far the best phone I have ever had and I have had them all. You will love the geocaching app I use it with a cheap venture HC and have a great time with it!!

IMHO

Windows mobile has lots of great GeoCaching Apps (3 or 4 good freeware apps+ some pay ones). Any Windows mobile device with GPS and a good size screen should work great.

I have an HTC Touch Vogue (CDMA), it works great, but the GPSr in it was not super, so I bought an external Bluetooth GPSr for $70(Canadian); it was rather hard to get working, but now that it is, it wokrks great.

Is AT&T CDMA or GSM? If it is CDMA, I think that all of them will be stuck with the Qualcomm GPSr wich is like mine, is not super. Lots of people claim that the BB GPSr is top noch, but I have not seen any specs on them, so can't vouch for that.

so there is no hope for us Verizon customers?

Yes there is hope! Verizon IS in the process of UNlocking WM phones. I have the Omnia i910 with Prerelease software. Works great with google map and GCz. First wave of unlocked GPS Phone for VZW should be out around May 11th 2009 and most HTC phones that VZW sell have been unlocked. Hope this helps. Happy caching!

Note: the Omnia i910 is not the same as the Omnia i900

No. If you want to install custom software on your phone or do anything with it that doesn't involve your network operator billing you extra every second, then you picked the wrong network. Everybody should know this by now.

No. If you want to install custom software on your phone or do anything with it that doesn't involve your network operator billing you extra every second, then you picked the wrong network. Everybody should know this by now.

Wow...didn't try to stoke up any hostility! Easy there big guy! I have Verizon because out of over 500 people in my contacts list probably 498 of them have Verizon and plus where I live it is the only phone company that has coverage all over the areas I travel. I have tried them all, and I mean all through my company and Verizon has a signal everywhere that the other companies drop out.

Anyways, thanks for the info and I will wait on some of the unlocked phones!

Wow...didn't try to stoke up any hostility! Easy there big guy! I have Verizon because out of over 500 people in my contacts list probably 498 of them have Verizon and plus where I live it is the only phone company that has coverage all over the areas I travel. I have tried them all, and I mean all through my company and Verizon has a signal everywhere that the other companies drop out.

Anyways, thanks for the info and I will wait on some of the unlocked phones!

OK, technically that should read "you bought a locked phone from the wrong network operator" (although custom GPS software is problematic on any locked phone now since everyone's selling their own navigation services). If you get an unlocked CDMA phone you could do whatever you want with it, but they are somewhat harder to find than unlocked GSM/UMTS handsets, an the cynic in me has to remind you that since you don't have a SIM card Verizon can hypothetically refuse to activate your new phone.

There's also the possibility of replacing the crippled Verizon firmware; I've heard of people doing this to get full bluetooth OBEX support, so it could probably allow unrestricted GPS access (although you might be limited to BREW apps instead of J2ME for dumbphones)

Verizon has such a horribly abusive history with how they set up their phones that whenever someone wants to use their phone for bluetooth/gps/music player/etc i have to ask whether being able to talk to 80 million people for free is really worth losing all that flexibility.

Yes there is hope! Verizon IS in the process of UNlocking WM phones. I have the Omnia i910 with Prerelease software. Works great with google map and GCz. First wave of unlocked GPS Phone for VZW should be out around May 11th 2009 and most HTC phones that VZW sell have been unlocked. Hope this helps. Happy caching!

Note: the Omnia i910 is not the same as the Omnia i900

I have the Omnia i910. How do I use it to GeoCache? If I read your post correctly, you are using it?