The Really, Really Interesting EarthCaches

South Lyon Trekkers

Virgin Falls (Tennessee)

The Virgin Falls Earthcache by Monkeybrad is impressively unique. The waterfall exits from a cave and falls 110 feet to disappear into another cave. By the way, this thread mentions that a "led hike" to Virgin Falls is being considered for Sunday, 24 May 2009 (the day after Geowoodstock VII).

Cumberland Falls (Kentucky)

The Cumberland Falls Earthcache by hoppe2findyou is one of the only, if not the only, locations in the world that has a naturally occuring, predictable moonbow (lunar rainbow).

The one I mentioned in the other thread (I assume that's what you are talking about) is Centralia, The Burning Town. (Pennsylvania). It's definitely worth a stop if you're ever in the area. Don't miss the closed section of road, it's the highlight of the area!

The town of Witbank in South Africa has a similar situation of burning coal beds underground since the late 1940's at least.

Hey SA cachers - here's a great opportunity for you!

The one I mentioned in the other thread (I assume that's what you are talking about) is Centralia, The Burning Town. (Pennsylvania). It's definitely worth a stop if you're ever in the area. Don't miss the closed section of road, it's the highlight of the area!

The town of Witbank in South Africa has a similar situation of burning coal beds underground since the late 1940's at least.

Oh underground coal seam fires are FAR from rare, there's the burning mountain in Australia which is believed to have been started by wildfires, there's even a natural gas well fire somewhere in Turkmenistan. Centralia is only the most well known in the states, certainly far from the only one. There are also a number of tailings piles slowly smoldering as well. It's an interesting phenomena, and apparently difficult to impossible to combat.

Oh underground coal seam fires are FAR from rare, there's the burning mountain in Australia which is believed to have been started by wildfires, there's even a natural gas well fire somewhere in Turkmenistan. Centralia is only the most well known in the states, certainly far from the only one. There are also a number of tailings piles slowly smoldering as well. It's an interesting phenomena, and apparently difficult to impossible to combat.

From the South African threads:

Something that was copied from the web.

The oldest coal fire on earth is actually in Australia and has been burning for over 2,000 years!!!!! How I did not know this is a huge surprise to me.

China has the worst problem in the world, it seems large enough that is would be worth finding a solution but common sense dictates they don't leave them burning because they can put them out!!!!!!

Today, the main coal fire areas stretch along the coal mining belt in China, which extends for 5000 kilometers (km) from east to west along the north of the country. Here more than 50 coal fields affected by coal fires have been identified. At present in China an estimated 20-30 million tons of coal burn each year. This corresponds to the amount of Germany’s annual hard coal production. Actually, the tenfold amount of the resource is lost, since coal adjacent to a coal fire becomes inaccessible. The economic loss of the valuable resource in China is estimated to sum up to total 4.2 billion tons since 1960. Thus, China faces the world’s biggest problem of coal fires both in terms of the spatial area affected and the amount of coal lost each year.

Gerhard

I personally think the coolest place for an Earthcache is the same location as Oobleck and the Sea of Ice, which is located on Mt. Erebus.

Oobleck and the sea of ice is a rather tricky one. It is located on the summit and crater rim of the southernmost active volcano on Earth, the mighty Mt. Erebus. This mountain towers at the gate to the coldest, highest and driest continent on our planet. Temperatures on this mountain will drop below -60°C in the winter, when almost six months of darkness blanket this place, and blizzards with speeds well in excess of 200 kph will rage over this lonely peak in a sea of ice. Not only is it one of the most remote places on earth, but it also reaches some 3794 metres above sea level, with the thin atmosphere at the pole sometimes generating a pressure altitude of almost 5000 metres.

Yet you can make it if you really try hard. During the summer months, temperatures will climb up to -35°C and the wind can stop to almost zero on a good day. Getting there will be a bit of a challenge though, since it either involves a combination of helicopter rides and some climbing (the better option) - or a long and strenuous hike through the icy and crevassed slopes of Mt. Erebus (a bad idea). One waypoint for you should be the McMurdo station, run by the US Antarctic program, or the New Zealand operated Scott Base, both located at sea level at the base of the mountain, only a few tens of kilometres away.

Edited by Kit Fox

I've decided to write it up as an earthcache. I'm currently collecting more information and plan on doing one more rappel into the cave for more pictures and exploring.

This location is not an earthcache but it should be, ...
What's stopping you? It's even in KY. B)

Edited by Cav Scout