Help Me Return A Cach

daiwrc

Hello.

I have been reading up on geocashing and im intrested in starting my self.

I recently went on a walk with my son in my local area (south wales, UK)

we were walking along a tidal river bank and happend to find a small cach in a glass tube in the tidal drift.

on opening it i found a log and a pencil.

it was in with all the drift wood and bottles. Obiously this is not the proper location for this cach. How do i find out where to return it.

There are a number of logs (names and dates) in the log book if this helps.

Any advice you could give me would be great.

Thanks

Daiwrc

All properly placed caches should have their cache ID# written on the container, or AT LEAST the logbook.

If not, then check the logbook for a name you can read, then contact that member on the website.

It is possible it's not a geocaching.com cache though. It could be from another site somewhere.

You could look up the cachers profiles and then look at the caches they found for that date. Then click on each of those to look at the cache page to get an idea of where it was located, size of cache, and if it is still active or archived. Once you find out which cache it is, you can then send a message to the cache owner that you have it and what they would like to do.

Good luck...

Edit for punctuation.

Edited by ao318

Hopefully on the log or other place there is the cache ID - starts with GC. If so, look up that cache. On the cache page is who placed it. Email them and ask what they would recommend.

If not, then it becomes a bit more difficult. Is the last log date fairly recent? If it's a long time ago then maybe do nothing - the cache is probably already archived. If there is a recent date then try to email the recent finder (search for his/her online name). They may remember what cache it was.

Thanks for being concerned about a cache. Good luck!

Edit: Looks like we all replied at the same time!

Edited by KG1960

If you tell us which river in South Wales then we might be able to tell you which cache it is or at least narrow it down to a handfull and thus work out who the owner is.

I have allready had a bit of a look but can't find any fitting that discription - that dosn't mean there isn't on as there obvouisly is, just that we need to narrow it down a bit.

Thank you all for your replys.

There is no ID Number on the micro cache there are a few logs on the log book I will try and contact them to see if they remember were they found it.

Were i found the cache is on the river loughor and these are the GPS coordinates i got from google maps

N 51° 42.560 W 004° 03.240

Thanks

It is probably GC1G2CX Church Micro #322 - St. Teilo's Missing Treasure, going by the cords given, the river bank location and the probable size.

It is not listed as in need of maintenance so the owner probably donsn't know it's gone. They would be thankfull if you could drop them a note through there profile A, to make sure it is theirs B, so they can disable it and replace the cache with a new one C, they might as you understand want the container back with the log.

Thank you for trying to return it.

It is probably GC1G2CX Church Micro #322 - St. Teilo's Missing Treasure, going by the cords given, the river bank location and the probable size.

It is not listed as in need of maintenance so the owner probably donsn't know it's gone. They would be thankfull if you could drop them a note through there profile A, to make sure it is theirs B, so they can disable it and replace the cache with a new one C, they might as you understand want the container back with the log.

Thank you for trying to return it.

Church Micro is a preform....if keehotee and *mouse* are in the log on christmas morning then you have found it!

I just spoke to EP the cache owner he will be along shortly :antenna:

This is almost certainly GC1G2CX Church Micro #322 - it was placed under some stones on the opposite side of the bank near St. Teilo's Church (or where the church used to be, hence the cache name - it was relocated to a museum in the '90s). It looks like it's been dislodged in the recent spring tides which can easily reach the cache's location - it's ususally under some stones for this reason. Possibly the last finder (not necessarily a Geocacher) didn't replace the heavy stones.

I thought I'd written its ID on the log book - but may have missed out on this one... I'll get in touch with the finder.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin