Pocket Querys and Waypoint (GC) Names

dukeofurl01

Lately, when I run a Pocket Query, and get the results as a zipped gpx file, I've been unzipping it and opening it in MapSource just to verify it, and the waypoints all have GCXXXXX names. Shouldn't they have the english name of the cache? I have noticed in the past that when I upload to my GPS, all the geocaches have the name GCxxxxx, but in all my friends, the geocaches in their gps have the english names of the caches. How do I fix it? The waypoints need to have the proper names, not the GCxxxxx names.

Lately, when I run a Pocket Query, and get the results as a zipped gpx file, I've been unzipping it and opening it in MapSource just to verify it, and the waypoints all have GCXXXXX names. Shouldn't they have the english name of the cache? I have noticed in the past that when I upload to my GPS, all the geocaches have the name GCxxxxx, but in all my friends, the geocaches in their gps have the english names of the caches. How do I fix it? The waypoints need to have the proper names, not the GCxxxxx names.

depends on your point of view, I consider the GCxxxxx names the proper name, the other is a nickname.

Jim

I use GSAK to upload caches with the name. I believe some people use Cachemate.

I don't use GSAK, but I may someday. Also I thought that Cachemate was a seperate thing that you ALSO uploaded the .gpx file to, in order that it may have the information to make you paperless, not an intermediary between your PC and your GPS. I am curious, what do either of those have to do with the waypoint names though?

I use GSAK to upload caches with the name. I believe some people use Cachemate.

I don't use GSAK, but I may someday. Also I thought that Cachemate was a seperate thing that you ALSO uploaded the .gpx file to, in order that it may have the information to make you paperless, not an intermediary between your PC and your GPS. I am curious, what do either of those have to do with the waypoint names though?

I don't use cachemate but GSAK has the ability to interface directly with your GPS and also export files that can be fed into software that also interface, like mapsource. You can set GSAK to supply the cache name instead of the name id.

</waypoint><waypoint>

<name id="GC1ARP4"><![CDATA[Copperdog's Pantry by Plumberbutt]]></name>

<coord lat="42.0997166666667" lon="-91.2655666666667"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1ARP4</link>

Cachemate can also export gpx/loc files so I assume it can do the same.

I'm not aware of setting in Mapsource to show the CDATA name without first using these other applications.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Cache names are not designed to be unique. "Don't Fence me in" is a classic example. (I have found five of those). If Mapsource were to base itself on the cache name in the GPX, it would not be able to properly open a file that had two identically named caches in it.

The only field in a GPX file that is unique is the GC#. All programs that open a GPX, including GSAK, use the GC# to distinguish one cache from another. GSAK will create a unique "Smartname" built on the cache's name and allow you to export it your GPS, Mapsource, Cachemate, etc.

"Don't Fence me in"

GSAK smart name would call them:

"Don't Fence me 1"

"Don't Fence me 2"

"Don't Fence me 3"

I have figured out what the problem was. Everyone I know was using GSAK, except me. That's why they all had names for their caches, and I always had numbers. That feature of GSAK is enabled by default.

GSAK smart names make it so much easier. Walmart Lamp Post Cache is a lot easier to remember than GCA8K9Y

Except "Walmart Lamp Post Cache" doesn't work to well when it's time to log my find (and it also way too many letters for a waypoint). But GCA8K9Y will bring up the one and only cache with that designation.

Didn't want to start a new thread with this one already existing.

I'm somewhat computer illiterate, so please be patient with me.

I'm also using the garmin mapsource program, is there anyway to download all the caches within a certain radius of my coordinates to the mapsource program?

Thanks.

So I've got the file downloaded, and unzipped, but when I ttry to open it in mapsource, I get a message telling me it's not a valid mapsource file.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Update to the latest version of MapSource. Make sure you requested GPX type files in your pocket query.