Questions on Garmin 60 csx

krnlueck

We just got our new Garmin 60 CSX (thanks all for your input in choosing the unit) It seems fairly easy to operate and I think we'll like it fine.

I have messed with it a little and was able to download some geocache sites into it. I did it directly from MYgarmin.com. I have a few questions.

1. The geocache sites I have down loaded only show a description, coordinates and distance to site. What exactly do I need to do to get the map directions, hints and and size of cache? I am not yet a premium member. Do I get more info when I download them directly from geocache.com?

2. I just received the topo map. I have not installed it on my GPS yet. Any hints? The directions with the map say to install it on my computer. Does that mean install on my computer first then to the GPS?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Any other suggestions about what I should do next?

As for downloads and hints/descriptions - that gets a bit more complex on the 60CSx - you will need to be a premium member and then take advantage of Pocket Queries: see - http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Then you take the result of a PQ and convert it to a POI (point of interest) file and load that on your unit.

Essentially the 60CSx is not a paperless geocaching unit but can be sort of tricked into giving you at least partial information when on the trail. Best bet is forget using just the 60CSx and get a cheap PDA to carry the addtional info with you out in the field.

I assume you mean the TOPO DVD - yes install it on your PC first and then use the program to load info into your unit. Be sure to install the USB drivers from Garmin before connecting the GPS.

1. Yes. Premium member, get pocket Queries, load into GSAK using a macro-gives you a selection from name, size, type, hint, etc

2. Yes. Install on to your computer first, then onto the GPS. Does the 60CSX have a decent size microcard If yes, a large card may take most of the mapping you need.

I have a 60CSX and have all of the UK mapping intalled on it. I don't think you can get all of the US on one card though!

Yes. Go and find some caches with it!

Good Luck!

We just got our new Garmin 60 CSX (thanks all for your input in choosing the unit) It seems fairly easy to operate and I think we'll like it fine.

I have messed with it a little and was able to download some geocache sites into it. I did it directly from MYgarmin.com. I have a few questions.

1. The geocache sites I have down loaded only show a description, coordinates and distance to site. What exactly do I need to do to get the map directions, hints and and size of cache? I am not yet a premium member. Do I get more info when I download them directly from geocache.com?

2. I just received the topo map. I have not installed it on my GPS yet. Any hints? The directions with the map say to install it on my computer. Does that mean install on my computer first then to the GPS?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

The 60CSx will not hold cache page information. You need a PDA and a Premium membership for that. Without the PDA, you can still store a bit more info, by encoding the difficulty and terrain ratings, and cache type and size into the waypoint name. For example, on my unit GC54321-TR2.1+ means the waypoint ID is GC54321, Traditional type, Regular size, Difficulty 2, Terrain 1.5.

The 60CSx will not hold cache page information. You need a PDA and a Premium membership for that. Without the PDA, you can still store a bit more info, by encoding the difficulty and terrain ratings, and cache type and size into the waypoint name. For example, on my unit GC54321-TR2.1+ means the waypoint ID is GC54321, Traditional type, Regular size, Difficulty 2, Terrain 1.5.

forgive my ignorance, but can you explain to me how you code this? do you use GSAK to do this? thanks.

forgive my ignorance, but can you explain to me how you code this? do you use GSAK to do this? thanks.

Yes you use GSAK and Special tags.

You can put all topo on a card via a card reader but the gps firmware will limit the segments you can see to 2025. Topo US is 6639 segments. A work around.

If you have room copy all the topo disk to your hard drive and install it from there so you dont have to put the disk in each time you use it.

Edited by IBcrashen

You can indeed load cache descriptions, hints, and logs on a 60csx! It is a bit technical and you need to use GSAK, the free garmin poi loader and become familiar with Macros,. If you feel comfortable with that you can use a macro called 60scxpoiloader by tigerz, that can be found in GSAK's macro database. I have successfully used it and have over 2,000 caches, descriptions, and hints currently loaded on my 60 csx. It isn't as pretty as on a pda or colorodo/oregon, but it works nicely non the less. It sure beats having to carry two devises! If you want to try this route let me know and i can help you get it set up.

Edited by orion X

You can indeed load cache descriptions, hints, and logs on a 60csx! It is a bit technical and you need to use GSAK, the free garmin poi loader and become familiar with Macros,. If you feel comfortable with that you can use a macro called 60scxpoiloader by tigerz, that can be found in GSAK's macro database. I have successfully used it and have over 2,000 caches, descriptions, and hints currently loaded on my 60 csx. It isn't as pretty as on a pda or colorodo/oregon, but it works nicely non the less. It sure beats having to carry two devises! If you want to try this route let me know and i can help you get it set up.

But even after you do all that - now you can't use the units built-in Geocaching mode.

I don't carry paper when caching with my CSx, although it is a bit more labor intensive than is described here. I cut and paste the co-ordinates, cache name, hint, etc. from the cache page into Mapsource. The size and hint go in the note section. When all is done I send the info. to my GPS and away I go. This works well for smaller amounts of caches.

Personally, I think carrying a PDA (which I would do anyway, since it's also my phone), is a heck of a lot easier than trying to read a cache description in dozens of 80 character pieces. JMO.

But even after you do all that - now you can't use the units built-in Geocaching mode.

Sure you can. You load the caches twice. First as regular cache waypoints and again as POIs. Once everything is set up it only takes a couple of minutes each time. You then use the cache waypoints as normal, but if you need to check the hint switch to the associated POI.

Of course you are limited to 1,000 caches that will use the geocaching mode but I think that should be enough for a day of caching for most people. :D

Sure you can. You load the caches twice. First as regular cache waypoints and again as POIs. Once everything is set up it only takes a couple of minutes each time. You then use the cache waypoints as normal, but if you need to check the hint switch to the associated POI.

Of course you are limited to 1,000 caches that will use the geocaching mode but I think that should be enough for a day of caching for most people. :D

Can you load POI coords from Groundspeak or does it have to be done manually? Is there a Forum or website for Garmin 60CSx users.

Edited by BrrrMo