Best Android geocaching app?

Patuxent

I've been a Win Mobile Cachemate user for quite a while and was a happy customer. Now that I'm on the T-Mobile G1, I see that there are two potential replacements on the Android platform: Geocacher ($15) and Geodroid ($9.99, but free demo available).

I've used GeoBeagle, but it just doesn't provide the database capabilities that Cachemate did. Geocacher and Geodroid do but not in quite the elegant fashion as Cachemate. Until an Android Cachemate is published, do you have an opinion on Geocacher vs. Geodroid? I've tried out both and haven't made up my mind yet.

The latest version of GeoBeagle (on our website at http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/downloads/list) does store the caches in a sql database and has preliminary support for gpx importing and viewing of all the cache details.

Also, GeoBeagle is not only free, it is open source (with the very liberal Apache License), so you can also help add features you think are needed :lol:.

--Steve

Edited by fafoofee

There's quite a bit of info on geocacher here:

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=23358#post23358

I've been using geodroid demo (free, I can't get to paid apps yet unfortunately in Europe) but honestly, I don't think it's well programmed. It has a lot of trouble import gpx files larger then 6-700k (a 500 cache gpx pocket query is about 4-5 mb! and loaded perfectly fine in smartgpx for symbian I was using before), and it's really slow in loading nearby waypoints/geocaches from your list. I've used Geobeagle for multi's cause you can enter the coordinates by hand, much faster. I'm anxious to try geocacher, but since it's a paid app I can't, but from the screen shots it does look good.

I agree that Geodroid seems to be sluggish on loading apps. I tried Geocacher yesterday and the first issue I've come across is that it doesn't seem to retain loaded caches or your caches newly marked as found. Plus I get force close problems when I try to load multiple PQ files. I'll have to follow up with the developer on those issues.

I'll check out GeoBeagle again.

The latest version of GeoBeagle (on our website at http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/downloads/list) does store the caches in a sql database and has preliminary support for gpx importing and viewing of all the cache details.

Also, GeoBeagle is not only free, it is open source (with the very liberal Apache License), so you can also help add features you think are needed :D.

--Steve

Nice! Looks like GeoBeagle might be the way to go for me, I'm a programmer (PHP, Java is about 10 years ago but I can try!) so I might even be able to contribute.

Very nice work!!

Edited by WinnieThePoohNL

Does GeoBeagle support the importing of PQ files? I downloaded your latest version and can't figure out how to do it.

Yah, the UI is not that clear :D.

Go to the cache list page by clicking on "...". Then click on menu, and select the one option to import /sdcard/caches.gpx.

I plan to support importing from a directory as well as .zip file importing Real Soon Now.

The 100 cache limit should be lifted in a version tomorrow morning-ish.

HTH,

Steve

I've been using geodroid demo (free, I can't get to paid apps yet unfortunately in Europe) but honestly, I don't think it's well programmed. It has a lot of trouble import gpx files larger then 6-700k (a 500 cache gpx pocket query is about 4-5 mb! and loaded perfectly fine in smartgpx for symbian I was using before), and it's really slow in loading nearby waypoints/geocaches from your list. I've used Geobeagle for multi's cause you can enter the coordinates by hand, much faster. I'm anxious to try geocacher, but since it's a paid app I can't, but from the screen shots it does look good.

Please try uploading your large gpx file in the latest version of GeoBeagle and let me know if there any problems.

(Note that GeoBeagle can only import/sync one file, but this should be fixed shortly....)

--Steve

Please try uploading your large gpx file in the latest version of GeoBeagle and let me know if there any problems.

(Note that GeoBeagle can only import/sync one file, but this should be fixed shortly....)

--Steve

I tried importing the 500 cache gpx file in 0.26 yesterday and it worked fine, no problems (except of course it only showed the last 100 imported), and then tried some 100 cache files, also no problems. It's showing the lists quickly sorted by distance from my location, perfect!

One thing that would be nice is if you could see the type (traditional, multi, mystery) of cache in the list somehow, if only indicated by a letter.

For inspiration, I suggest you look at SmartGPX, it's an app I used on the Nokia 9500, it had some very nice filtering options for listing caches. I could send you some screenshots if you like.

Edited by WinnieThePoohNL

I love what GeoBeagle can do! Geodroid importing was bad, but seems fixed in one of the recent updates. I imported a 500 geocache pocket query without any trouble. <_<

My problem with GeoBeagle is that it requires you to rename your PQ file to caches.gpx to do the import. I think that is a needless hassle. It makes switching PQ files or loading more than one at a time problematic.

Wait a few days. <_<

I'm working on an update that will suck in all the gpx files from a directory.

Can up have it import directly from the zip file without the user having to unzip the files first? That would be excellent.

While I'm at it, here is another suggestion: How about the ability to SMS the find from within GeoBeagle to the gc.com fieldnotes?

I love what GeoBeagle can do! Geodroid importing was bad, but seems fixed in one of the recent updates. I imported a 500 geocache pocket query without any trouble. <_<

Good to hear Geodroid's import is fixed. What I don't like about the updated version (of the demo, I don't have access to paid apps in Europe :lol: ) is that it doesn't seem to work until it has a GPS fix, so I can't use it at home....

Multiple gpx files is on the marketplace as of last night--I wasn't able to get unzipping done in time for this release--I will shoot for the next one.

Does geocaching.com support SMS for fieldnotes? It looks like it's just text uploading from what I can see.

Steve

Wait a few days. :(

I'm working on an update that will suck in all the gpx files from a directory.

Can up have it import directly from the zip file without the user having to unzip the files first? That would be excellent.

While I'm at it, here is another suggestion: How about the ability to SMS the find from within GeoBeagle to the gc.com fieldnotes?

I must be dense or something because I just got a G1 went to the Market Place and did a search and couldn't find any of these apps.

This page has a web view of the apps available in the Android Marketplace. I did a search of geocaching and this is what I found.

Using the barcode scanner app on your G1. Scan the square bar code image on each app page to load the marketplace page on your G1.

Oh, that's neat! And probably not very hard to support....

Okay, it wasn't that hard to support, but there were a few other things I had to get to first :).

The latest version of GeoBeagle on the Android Marketplace now supports logging via field notes, check it out and let me know what you think.

Steve

The latest version of GeoBeagle on the Android Marketplace now supports logging via field notes, check it out and let me know what you think.

Steve

I logged 5 founds and 3 DNFs this weekend all via GeoBeagle and its field notes feature. Very cool. (Well the DNFs weren't cool, but being able to it via GeoBeagle was.)

Edited by Patuxent

Oh, that's neat! And probably not very hard to support....

Steve

yeah I already used that feature, works great, thanks !

Okay I finally got a G1. I can't find geobeagle in the app market. I went to the webpage, downloaded the newest version, allowed it to install, but I don't see the icon. Any ideas?

Go back to the market and download Barcode Scanner, it's a free app.

After installing Barcade Scanner go to http://www.cyrket.com/ on your computer (Not on your phone)

Do a search for geobeagle at cyrket and use the barcode scanner app to scan the QR code (the barcode looking thing). After it reads the barcode it will give you three options. Select the "open browser" option and it will take your phone straight to the market page to download the geobeagle app.

You will also want to install Radar

Here are some quick links to the apps for you

GeoBeagle

Radar

If you need any more help, let me know and I'll help where I can.

Okay I finally got a G1. I can't find geobeagle in the app market. I went to the webpage, downloaded the newest version, allowed it to install, but I don't see the icon. Any ideas?

Go to the Market on your G1. Search for "geocaching" which should bring up several apps including GeoBeagle. Select the app and Install.

Unlike the apps that have an integrated compass, GeoBeagle uses another app called Radar to show (poorly IMO) the distance and bearing. Search for "radar" in the Market and install.

Have fun.

Unlike the apps that have an integrated compass, GeoBeagle uses another app called Radar to show (poorly IMO) the distance and bearing. Search for "radar" in the Market and install.

Have fun.

I personally love the Radar. It's probably the video gamer in me but the radar just seems more natural than an arrow pointing in a direction, I wish more GPS systems had this method as an option.

If you play a lot of video games, especially FPS or flight games, then the Radar will most likely be second nature to you.

Edited by Purple-Penguin

Go to the Market on your G1. Search for "geocaching" which should bring up several apps including GeoBeagle. Select the app and Install.

Have fun.

I searched for geocaching and all I got was Orienteer and JOYity.

I did the barcode scanner thing, and it won't focus on the screen. This may be because it is an old CRT monitor... and the scan lines get in the way.

I may have figured out why none of the main geocaching apps are showing. My firmware is still 1.0, not 1.1 or the new 1.5 cupcake version. Since I just got the phone perhaps it will take a while before T-Mobile pushes the update, and perhaps they'll just wait until they roll the 1.5 to me. Unless there is some # code to use to force it to download the 1.1 update at the very least.

EDIT: Okay that was it for sure. I forced it to 1.5 and there were far more options in the Market.

Edited by brianathomas

Loving GeoBeagle but I do have a few suggestions/requests. First off, can we have the option of using feet/miles instead of meters/kilometers? And a way of searching the offline list would be awesome. Sometimes I have a specific cache in mind I want to find and it would be easier to search the list rather than have to search it online and import back to GeoBeagle (thus losing the details because it's only pulling the coords). Pretty please?

But seriously, awesome job with the app. I have officially retired my Garmin because of GeoBeagle!

I personally love the Radar. It's probably the video gamer in me but the radar just seems more natural than an arrow pointing in a direction, I wish more GPS systems had this method as an option.

If you play a lot of video games, especially FPS or flight games, then the Radar will most likely be second nature to you.

Interesting perspective. I don't play video games so I don't know the context in which a radar display is used but I would guess it is trying to simulate what people think a combat plane display looks like--the real one is far more complicated, of course. Or maybe it mimics the handheld gizmos that the movie actors clutch when the alien is coming for them in a cramped passageway.

Despite the glamour of tracking targets with electronics, modern ground navigation is still basic map and compass. It uses file servers instead of paper maps and the GPS to give a more accurate location. We still talk in terms of position, distance and bearing (plus altitude in mountains). Those things have to be presented as clearly as possible. The traditional compass is hard to beat for clarity and ease of use when we are walking around in the field.

I see that the recent GeoBeagle update has added a small radar on the main screen with a compass overlay. That helps but there is still the annoying pulsing of the radar "signal" and the display is far too small for accurate readings. Radar is a gimmick that may look cool but is a poor choice for a navigation tool.

OTOH, radar may suit some geocachers who are more interested in the hunt than navigation techniques. They may never do caches with stages, offsets, projections and coordinate systems. Geocaching has become a game of choices.

In my mind there can be no question. Geobeagle is the best FREE app in the market. It works great and its the only program I use for geocaching. I wrote a full review with screenshots and a video at this link

http://budurl.com/wc5u

That was YOUR video? Thanks a lot for that. I was in the market for both a new T-Mobile phone and a new GPSr and trying not to spend a fortune. I'd been watching the G1 with interest for a while and after watching your video bought one. Couldn't be happier. It's been a big step up from my old Garmin Legend (blue).

PS: I'm the person who just sent you a tweet with a similar message. :D

I'm using GeoBeagle, which works find except for downloading GPX files. After signing up for premier, I can locate a geocache, but when I click to download the GPX file, I end up with a "cache_details.aspx" file in my downloads instead of the GPX file that I want. Am I doing anything wrong here? I'm working around it by downloading the GPX file on the computer and copying it to the G1's SD card. There has to be a better way. :unsure:

I'm using GeoBeagle, which works find except for downloading GPX files. After signing up for premier, I can locate a geocache, but when I click to download the GPX file, I end up with a "cache_details.aspx" file in my downloads instead of the GPX file that I want. Am I doing anything wrong here? I'm working around it by downloading the GPX file on the computer and copying it to the G1's SD card. There has to be a better way. :unsure:

A bug in Android's browser (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1780) makes it impossible to download gpx files directly from geocaching.com. You can mail yourself the pocket query and then download it from your mail, or, as you have discovered, use your computer to download to your gps.

I personally have geocaching.com mail the pocket queries to me then use gmail in the browser to download the cache; that way I can do everything on my android phone.

Hi!

I'm using GeoBeagle on the new HTC Hero (similar with T-Mobile G2) and it easily finds the caches for me. I never ran into bigger problems but there are a few small things I discovered:

- While importing a GPX file from SD-Card, I'm not allowed to do anything. When I try to put the application into the background, the import fails. It even fails when I turn the phone 90° and the screen changes to wide. In both cases the import process stops without an error message.

- Injecting a cache into GeoBeagle by clicking on Google Maps doesn't work. If I do so, a blue rectangle appears around the link and nothing happens. (Well thats OK for me cause I always have GPX files for the region where I'm caching with me).

- (Maybe this problem comes from Android, I don't know): When I want to edit the coordinates of a cache, always the alphabetic keyboard appears so I have to switch to numeric keyboard first. OK, this is really not a big thing but I'm always the slowest guy when we do big multi/mystery caches and someone discovered new coordinates. :unsure:

PS: I know my english is not the best ;)

Edited by Raveheart

I'm in the process of switching from WM to an Android-based phone, and so far I have seen nothing that matches the functionality of GCz II. You have to love real-time access to GC.com and downloading the nearest caches based on your current location.

I'm someone who caches on the spur-of-the-moment and really don't plan ahead by creating and downloading pq's. Sure wish we could get a port of GCz II to Android. The other way to go would be a port of the iPhone app.

Anyone with the skills out there who can do this? (with appropriate permissions, of course!!!)

I'm in the process of switching from WM to an Android-based phone, and so far I have seen nothing that matches the functionality of GCz II. You have to love real-time access to GC.com and downloading the nearest caches based on your current location.

I'm someone who caches on the spur-of-the-moment and really don't plan ahead by creating and downloading pq's. Sure wish we could get a port of GCz II to Android. The other way to go would be a port of the iPhone app.

What Android geocaching apps have you tried? I believe all of them (CacheMate, GeGeo, GeoBeagle, Geocacher, Geodroid) can do live searches based on your location. Of course, these are all web-based searches. Groudspeak will eventually release an Android app with direct database access. There are other apps in the works as well. CacheMate has by far the most functionality of any existing smartphone geocaching app.

I hope Groundspeak releases an Android app. I switched from my iPhone 3G to the new Motorola Droid, and the GC app is what I miss the most. GeoBeagle works, but it's clunky and ugly. I know functionality is much more important than looks, but they certainly help. The iPhone Geocaching app was intuitive, fast, and looked great. Every geocaching app I've tried on Android looks so amateurish. But it seems that's a problem with Android, because almost every Android app I've used has had a terrible interface. I'm just spoiled by the iPhone apps looking and working so great I guess.

The thing I loved about my iPhone app is that it was quick and easy to use. I would go out hiking or out driving around with my girlfriend and just spur of the moment want to find a cache. So I'd pull my iPhone out, hit find nearby caches. Then it would bring up a list of all the caches near me. I would then have it show me on a map, where I could see which caches were near where I was headed on the hiking trail. Click that cache, and hit navigate to. I would also have access to the descriptions, logs, hints, etc. It made geocaching so easy and intuitive. I just really hope Groundspeak comes out with something soon. The developers they had make the iPhone app really knew what they were doing and did a great job.

With all these new Android phones coming out, I'd be surprised if Groundspeak wasn't thinking about releasing an app. At some point Android phones will outnumber iPhones, so it only makes sense they would make an app. It's just a matter of when.

Groudspeak will eventually release an Android app with direct database access.

Where did you hear that from? From what I've heard they don't care much about us Android-users... (In my opinion they should open up their database for everyone to use). Link?

From Jeremy Irish's Facebook page on 10/14/09: "Yes. We're working on an Android version."

Of course, that could mean almost anything. They have been working on an updated Wherigo for a couple of years! :lol:

I guess the best we can do is for everyone to send a mail to Groundspeak, asking for either an application made by them or for them to open up their database for use by the community.

- If they don't have the resources; let the open source community do it

- If it's about the money; we'll pay for the app like we did in the app store, and we'll pay for the ability to query the database

I really don't understand why Groundspeak are preventing their own users from using them...

edit:

@bigeddy: Oh, nice. Still, there's no harm in reminding Groundspeak that this is something we really really really want :lol:

Edited by josteinaj

I used contact@geocaching.com

edit: in retrospect, there's also contact@Groundspeak.com which seems like a good target. You can choose yourself, they'll forward it to the right recipient anyway. Also, sending it to different adresses might make more people in Groundspeak Inc. aware of the issue. But choose only one of the adresses.

Edited by josteinaj