Best Android geocaching app?

Patuxent

LOL

Sounds as bad as me.

I get it logged in and looking for caches but it doesn't have anywhere, that I've found yet, that allows me to sign into GC.com so I don't get cachings that are either mine or that I've already found...

That is kinda where I wanted this string to go when I asked about it all but it looks liek a bash to everything GC.

Although, it is pretty disconcerning that an App would be released with absolutley no instructions and/or help to operate.

This App IS NOT user friendly enough to just release it and be able to run it without somethig to help the user get it set up right; all this from someone liek me that has been using btoh Garmin and Magellan systems for nearly 6 years now...

2 or 3 people have tried to help you. Rather than following the directions, you choose to just gripe about it.

Also, pointed out previously, Android apps rarely, if ever, come with manuals. As the questions you have (i.e. login) follow standard Android practices, a manual was not needed.

There is the video you were directed to that should help. Here it is again;

Why don't Groundspeak just buy c:geo that's the kind of thing apple and microsoft do.

If someone out there has put in the hard work and made the best app why spend lots of time and money yourself doing it all again, when you could buy them out and put your own name on it.

That would be the best thing for us the Groundspeak customers we want the best apps so we get the best caching experience possible.

Why don't Groundspeak just buy c:geo that's the kind of thing apple and microsoft do.

If someone out there has put in the hard work and made the best app why spend lots of time and money yourself doing it all again, when you could buy them out and put your own name on it.

That would be the best thing for us the Groundspeak customers we want the best apps so we get the best caching experience possible.

Maybe the author doesn't want to sell?

LOL

Sounds as bad as me.

I get it logged in and looking for caches but it doesn't have anywhere, that I've found yet, that allows me to sign into GC.com so I don't get cachings that are either mine or that I've already found...

Start the Geocaching app. Once the disclaimer disappears and the application menu comes up, press the Menu button. Depending on the model of phone, the Menu button can either be a hard button or a capacitive button at the bottom of your phone's touch screen. Once you find and press the Menu button, a list of options should come up, one of which is for Settings. Select that, and the application settings should be displayed. The first section of the Settings screen should say "Geocaching.com Account Info". Click on the text box next to "Username" and enter the username you use for geocaching.com. Then click on the text box next to "Password" and enter the password you use for geocaching.com. Underneath that is a button that says "Login". Click that to login.

The next thing displayed on the settings screen is titled "Saved Field Notes". There is a button that says "Submit Saved Field Notes". It is grayed out if there are no pending field notes saved. You can use this to submit field notes if you try to enter a log and do not have data service at the time.

The next section on the settings screen is titled "Search Filters". It contains the description "Choose Basic to show only traditional geocaches. Choose Advanced to show all types of geocaches." Make your selection in the combo box if you want Advanced or Basic.

This section also has a description that says "Choose 'Hide Finds' to filter out the geocaches you have already found or placed (requires log in)." If you are logged in(completed the Geocacing.Com Account Info section which should now display the text "Logged in as " followed by your geocaching.com username) you can choose "Hide Finds" to only return caches which you have not found and do not own.

The next section of the settings screen is titled Returned Results. You can select the number of caches you want the application to display at a time when you search for nearest geocaches.

The next section is titled Units. You can choose "Miles/Ft" if you prefer distances to be displayed in miles and feet or "KM/Meters" if you prefer distances to be displayed as kilometers and meters.

The next section is titled Initial Navigation Mode. You can choose "Compass Mode" if you want the compass to be displayed when navigating to a cache or "Map Mode" if you want the map view. You can switch from one to the other while navigating to the cache by again pressing the handy Menu button and choosing the corresponding option.

The next section is Database Location. This allows you to set whether you want the database to be stored in internal memory or on the microSD card.

The last section is titled Search for GPX files on the SD card. You can press this if you want to load caches from a GPX file you have stored on your microSD card.

That's how you get to the settings menu and an overview of what the settings are. It probably would have taken you less time to press the Menu button and explore the options than it did for me to type it out. That's one of the cool things about Android. If you think there should be a setting for something, you can hit the Menu button on the phone and often get other options. Not everything has to be tied into the GUI like it does with those other phones that only have one button.

Edited by deercreekth

Yes you can. You can do that with any app purchased in the Marketplace.

Thanks, that fixed my problem.. Hope to give the app a good test run this weekend!

I tried to redownload this app on my droid and it is asking for the CC# again. I did not put it back in since I have less than 9.99 in my acct. Will it recognize that I have already purchased the app and not charge me or is there another way. I had to master reset my phone and thats how I lost it

Thanks, that fixed my problem.. Hope to give the app a good test run this weekend!

I tried to redownload this app on my droid and it is asking for the CC# again. I did not put it back in since I have less than 9.99 in my acct. Will it recognize that I have already purchased the app and not charge me or is there another way. I had to master reset my phone and thats how I lost it

If you uninstalled within 24 hours of the purchase, it credited your CC. Otherwise I would contact Marketplace. If for some reason you are not logged in would be the only other reason it will not recognize you purchased it.

Thanks Deer, I fumbled with the hard buttons and found the menu.

I didn't see any links in the prior 9 pages or I'd have watched it Baloo, instead I got to watch a lot of people mentioning a lot of things that had Zero to do with what I asked to begin this string.

Thanks everyone for the sometimes helpful hints and other times arrogant rants.

The Market ties everything together with the Google user name. Are you using the correct one? Also, changing the ROM can make a difference. AppBrain may be a better solution for you.

Thanks Deer, I fumbled with the hard buttons and found the menu.

I didn't see any links in the prior 9 pages or I'd have watched it Baloo, instead I got to watch a lot of people mentioning a lot of things that had Zero to do with what I asked to begin this string.

Thanks everyone for the sometimes helpful hints and other times arrogant rants.

Really?

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7527...av?ref=comments (your thread)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4492462

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4500109

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4506225

last update caused mine to exit after the splash screen as well. i have a droid x..

go to settings, applications, manage applications. select the geocaching app and choose clear data and clear cache... no need to uninstall and reinstall..

i bet this helps other applications as well.

you have to remember that your android phone is not just a phone... it's a little computer. a little maintenance will be required i bet.

back to the subject at hand....

i think the app for sale by Groundspeak is the best one. it is fully integrated with the websight. might not be the most friendly to the human user, but i'm happy.

it is a work in progress. and yes gs... there is more work to be done.

I am interested in upgrading my cell to a droid from a blackberry and I was curious what the caching applications are available for the droid. While a geocaching app for the droid will not be the deciding factor, it is one of the criteria I am considering. Most, if not all, of my spur of the moment random caching these days has been through a caching application on the blackberry. I don't think I'll mention the name of the application for fear that it doesn't comply.

Quick search here brings me to this thread which (by the title) seemed perfect. I read through this whole thing (at least as much as I could stomach...it's always good to be reminded why I quit looking at these forums years ago) but there are a few questions that remain unanswered as far as I can tell.

-I gather that the Groundspeak droid caching app costs around $10.00 Is that a one time charge or recurring?

-Will it work on all Droid phones? (My carrier is verizon)

-Is there a trial period? (I am not opposed to paying for something that I enjoy using...I just want to make sure that I get what I pay for)

-It sounds like some of the other free apps work pretty well. Can I assume that if they are mentioned above and haven't been censored that they comply with the terms?

Edited by Danman

-I gather that the Groundspeak droid caching app costs around $10.00 Is that a one time charge or recurring?

-Is there a trial period? (I am not opposed to paying for something that I enjoy using...I just want to make sure that I get what I pay for)

-It sounds like some of the other free apps work pretty well. Can I assume that if they are mentioned above and haven't been censored that they comply with the terms?

- My experience with the Groundspeak app is positive. Works as expected and is worth $10. It's a one-time cost.

- c:geo (can we say that now?) is the only app that I know of that causes Groundspeak to get upset. I've not used it recently, but it worked great the last time I used it. It's free.

- There are quite a few very good apps that process gpx (pocket query) files. I prefer GeOrg, but GeoBeage, GeoHunter, CacheMate and a few others work nicely and are quite popular. Some are free, some are not. All are under $10.

I've used all these apps on a Droid (and now on an LG Allay since my Droid died) on Verizon. They should work on any Android device.

You are right, you have come to the right discussion. The Groundspeak app for the Droid works very well and has the ability to do PQ's. Their app also will show you if you are in an area where a souvenir is available. There is a one time fee of 10 dollars. With that being said, there is also an app for the Android called c:geo. This app is hands down the best app there is for geocaching. This app includes live map view, you can be driving down the road and see what caches are around you. Then by just touching the icon you have all the info and past logs. This is a free app, and once you use it you will be hooked.

The C:Geo app is not okay to use and these posts will probably be censored soon.

I used GeoBeagle a few years ago and found it very good. Currently I use both the Groundspeak Android app and CacheMate. Both are excellent. But I tend to use these apps only for record keeping and storing PQs. I rely on my trusty Garmin 60CSx GPSr for the cache search as its antenna is superior to any in the Android phones today.

I also have a garmin rino 530 hcx and I use that for long caching weekends but that is only due to the poor battery life of the phone while caching. As for the antenna issue, I have never had any problems with finding caches with just my Droid incredible. I cached all weekend at a mega event with just my phone and 8 batteries. Plus with the app that you can't mention, you can see others who are using the same app and are catching around you, cool feature.

also there are all these people talking about these free apps and how they are improving, which is great but what about the actual geocaching app from geocaching.com? is it better now? I hope that geocaching.com sees this and decides to fix it because there saying there constantly trying to make the geocache experience better

I am interested in upgrading my cell to a droid from a blackberry and I was curious what the caching applications are available for the droid. While a geocaching app for the droid will not be the deciding factor, it is one of the criteria I am considering. Most, if not all, of my spur of the moment random caching these days has been through a caching application on the blackberry. I don't think I'll mention the name of the application for fear that it doesn't comply.

Quick search here brings me to this thread which (by the title) seemed perfect. I read through this whole thing (at least as much as I could stomach...it's always good to be reminded why I quit looking at these forums years ago) but there are a few questions that remain unanswered as far as I can tell.

i have a motorola droid and and also with verizion I am currently using c:geo, locus, and gps status. they all seem to work together pretty well and they are free apps

What application other than the Groundspeak app is Ok to use?

There are several countries which may not purchase apps from the Android Market yet - I am in South Africa and we are excluded.

None of the carriers advertise the fact that only free apps are available, you get to find out when you try to buy someting.

If someone has a work around I would be glad to hear it.

For a list of countries that may buy from the market - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market

Edited by AndyT1

c:geo is terrific and FREE. i see no reason to spend the $$ on Groundspeak's overpriced app (THE most expensive app i've yet seen for an android phone !)

Hi gpokmd,

I have exactly the same questions as you. I will be switching from

at&t to Verizon for better coverage in remote areas (tested by me

this last summer through the better part of seven states). Anyway,

can I add is there an Android app that will not only do on-the-fly queries

of the nearest caches (like the gc app and Geocache Naivgator), but

also import gpx files (through hardwire to PC or preferably from

email attachments like CacheBerry). Regardless of cell carrier,

there will be gaps and limited service in rural or hilly areas.

Having caches pre-loaded via gpx files is a real savior in these

areas.

Hopefully someone can answer all of the questions.

c:geo is terrific and FREE. i see no reason to spend the $$ on Groundspeak's overpriced app (THE most expensive app i've yet seen for an android phone !)

I use geohunter on my android phone because it seems a lot quicker than the other apps i've tried at dealing with large databases, the others taking ages to load cache lists, i normally have whole areas on my phone because i travel around a lot (2000+)mainly caches along a route so no matter where i decide to stop and cache i keep data usage to a min. You can also use offline Ordnance survey mapping (via Rmaps)with caches shown on map which is fantastic. I sync my PQ's with Bcaching.com via Auto email address and then sync phone with Bcaching once a week via wlan at home which gives me all updated logs , finds etc

I use c:geo...it's free and works really well

It's THE definitive Geocaching app.

It would REALLY be nice for these app authors to add these to the Amazon Appstore.

Many Android devices (like mine) are not recognized as such by the Android Marketplace, and refuses to download apps.

I asked the guy who does c:geo about getting his put on the Amazon app store. He said he will as soon as the App store is available in his country.

If you can't download it from the Android market, he does put his builds up on github which you can download straight from there: https://github.com/carnero/c-geo/downloads

To install those, what you will need to do is on your phone, hit "Menu" then "Settings". Go down to "Applications" and make sure "unknown sources" is checked. This will let you install programs from outside of the market.

You should try Cache Sense for Android now that it is available. What was only available for the Blackberry is now available on Android. I've been using it for a few weeks and the depth of functionality is great and the developer is adding more improvements regularly. I am convinced this will become the number one geocaching app for Android. Well worth trying it.

I've been using c:geo and it has been doing a good job for me. I like the live map and nearby features so you can geocache on the fly. I don't know about any of these other apps but "loading" caches sounds like a limitation when you can have ALL the caches show up on this app.

You should try Cache Sense for Android now that it is available. What was only available for the Blackberry is now available on Android. I've been using it for a few weeks and the depth of functionality is great and the developer is adding more improvements regularly. I am convinced this will become the number one geocaching app for Android. Well worth trying it.

I think you were right. CacheSense has risen to the top with regular updates. It has impressive capabilities using either the live API or stored databases that make the other apps look downright weak. The interface has become rather complex but that's okay given all its features.

The latest version of GeoBeagle (on our website at http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/downloads/list) does store the caches in a sql database and has preliminary support for gpx importing and viewing of all the cache details.

Also, GeoBeagle is not only free, it is open source (with the very liberal Apache License), so you can also help add features you think are needed :lol:.

--Steve

I just tried it and got an "address not found"

I've tried C:GEO, NeonGeo, and the latest GC Droid App. I cut my teeth on C:geo, a nice app, live map, and all the bells and whistles. NeonGeo, just never warmed up to it. The colors, the maps, font size, user(me)issues, ugh. The learning curve just wasn't worth it. The GC droid app has become my go to program.

It has taken me a bit to get used to it, learning a new program, its not unusual. I like to plan out my outings so I sit in front of the lap top and book list all the caches on my upcoming route, then PQ them, and they they are on my phone. They can be mapped, sorted, logged, and the cache page can be seen by all us vision impaired cachers that can't read the font of other programs. The app allows you to search for nearby caches, where ever you are, navigate to them, and so on. If you don't want to log from the phone you can save them easy enough for later attention. Cut and paste the logs of your 50+ finds right on the phone. The PQs are right there for you as well, 1000 caches, read them, map them. Nice.

I think there are to many steps to some of the actions and I'd like to see some default choices put in the app. It does not have a live map, the only advantage C:GEO has over it. Small issue.