Treasure Chest

redjada

Well, logged 2 more finds today. Had 8 loaded but just got too cold. We did manage to get our first hide put out and waiting for the review.

On our way home we came across a treasure chest sitting out for trash. Its about 2 feet wide 18 inches tall and 14 inches deep and looks just like a treasure chest. It needs a little work but its going to be worth it. When I get it ready, Ill post some photos.

So here's the plan. Being we are dog/cat people. Were going to load it with dog/cat toys. Take one/leave one.

Due to the size, its going to be hard to hide. But were in NE Ohio, Ill find a place. But it won't be easy. :unsure:

What do you think?

Redjada

:unsure: I LOVE IT! I love the fact that you found a "treasure chest" in the trash! You need to post a picture of your find on the Cool Cache Containers page of the forums. Being a Dog & Cat family too, it's great that your thinking of the geopups & geokitties in the world! :D The only concern I have is cat nip. Some toys contain cat nip, and you don't want some "wild critter" getting into the cache to eat the nip. It's one of the rules of geocaching, no food type items in the caches because the 'wild critters" can/will destroy the cache to get to it.

OOOO! I have an idea for a cat toy. Get a bunch of old shoe laces and tie it up in a bunch. If your cat is anything like my cat, she will ignor the $5 cat toy I just bought at petsmart, but love to play with my tennis shoe laces! :o Have fun making home made toys!!!

Well, logged 2 more finds today. Had 8 loaded but just got too cold. We did manage to get our first hide put out and waiting for the review.

On our way home we came across a treasure chest sitting out for trash. Its about 2 feet wide 18 inches tall and 14 inches deep and looks just like a treasure chest. It needs a little work but its going to be worth it. When I get it ready, Ill post some photos.

So here's the plan. Being we are dog/cat people. Were going to load it with dog/cat toys. Take one/leave one.

Due to the size, its going to be hard to hide. But were in NE Ohio, Ill find a place. But it won't be easy. :o

What do you think?

Redjada

That is so cool you just happened to come across a treasure chest... lucky!

Good luck with making it into a cache. The pet idea sounds great! :unsure:

What do you think?

Redjada

Very cool, I want to plant a treasure chest as the final for a pirate themed cache...have the chest, but my plan was to find a rubbermaid or loc n loc tub big enough to hold the chest...figuring no matter where I place it I'll have to protect it from the rain & snow. Are you planning to do that?

I think everyone likes to find a treasure chest cache! We have two treasure chest caches that are full of fake jewels and gold coins and everything else you would imagine finding in a treasure chest.

I'm sure you'll take the necessary steps to keep the cache waterproof. A box that big might need a tarp! :unsure:

Be sure to post pics in the CCC thread when you get it done.

What do you think?

Redjada

Very cool, I want to plant a treasure chest as the final for a pirate themed cache...have the chest, but my plan was to find a rubbermaid or loc n loc tub big enough to hold the chest...figuring no matter where I place it I'll have to protect it from the rain & snow. Are you planning to do that?

Yes, some how I'm going to water proof it and make it water tight. Team black-cat has a good idea. A nice camo tarp would help to keep it dry and help hide it as well.

After I Finnish my morning coffee, Ill put up some photos of what it looks like know.

cache.jpgA friend gave me an old vinyl covered toy chest. We spray-painted it to provide some camo and I filled it with toys, games, and children's books. Knew it would disappear quickly if I put it out in the "wild," so I simply put it in my front yard. Has been very popuar with cachers and their children.

That is cool!!

One of my favorite caches is a trunk, about 4 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 2 feet high, that's chained to trees in the bosque (woods).

It's locked, and you figure out the combination with a simple puzzle you find at Stage One.

Also, like mommio, there's a very large kid-friendly cache in a front yard in my area.

That'll be the biggest challenge, I'd think--to place it somewhere where it won't get muggled.

Good luck, and have fun!

That is cool!!

One of my favorite caches is a trunk, about 4 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 2 feet high, that's chained to trees in the bosque (woods).

It's locked, and you figure out the combination with a simple puzzle you find at Stage One.

Also, like mommio, there's a very large kid-friendly cache in a front yard in my area.

That'll be the biggest challenge, I'd think--to place it somewhere where it won't get muggled.

Good luck, and have fun!

Most definitely!!! I don't think this is going to an easy find. Going to have to work for this one. Its definitely going to off the beaten path. I like the idea about the combo lock. I'm going to give it some thought.

So... how'd it work?

Its almost done. probably another couple weeks. If I would just stay home instead of caching, It would have been ready by now. Everytime I do a little work to it. I keep thinking, I'm going to have to hide it at night. Any one else hide something this big? If so, how did you do it.