Where is Bear Mountain?

hukilaulau

I work in Manhattan. As the weather gets nicer I want to start taking day trips into NJ for caching and hiking. Someone mentioned that there is a train stop at "Bear Mountain." Can you tell me where that is? Is it possible to do some hiking and caching without needing a car?

If not, where would be a good place to drive to within, say, 30 or 40 minutes of Manhattan for a few hours of hiking and finding a few caches? Thanks in advance... :D

30 to 40 Minutes of Manhattan. Why there is an entire new world of cheerful people.

Wawayanda State Park,West Milford=NJ

Ramapo State Forest Oakland =NJ

Ramapo County Reservation Mahwah=NJ

Pyramid Mtn, Kinnelon =NJ

BrianSnat=NJ

High Mountain, Wayne NJ

Long Pond Ironworks, Apshawa, Norvin Green,- and on and on and on, all within 30 minutes early on weekend mornings. These all supply hiking opportunity within the time specified.

Subscribe to the Sunrise Stepoff Forum Thread, below, and you will be notified of upcoming hikes, to automatically receive updates to your E Mail you need to subscribe to the thread.

Where you will find a collegial group of local hiking cachers. They are so mellow, you might think they are daft. And they will not at all care about the fact that you are from NY.

We are scheduled for one on 2/22/09 at Kincaid Woods in Kinnelon area, about 30 minutes out of Lincoln Tunnel .

I can make it from Wayne NJ to Manhattan early on sunday mornings in about 20 minutes.Which I frequntly do to ride my bicycle in NYC.

This is cache rich territory, no one other than myself hides lame caches, they are truly good caches.

Look for NNJC Events, especially under the MMMMDonuts Category.

And remember there is more to NJ than just the odor. :D

Edited by Packanack

What is this "BrianSnat" thing you speak of? A mountain? A park? Can I log it?

'

'

'

'

Just kidding, of course! :D

I love the smell of maple syrup in the morning!

(Two little jokes to show that I DO know something about NJ)

Thanks for all the tips and links. That should give me all the info I need to get started. I did find a handful of caches a few years ago in the vicinity of the GWB. Those were a lot of fun once I realized that there several levels of roads and you don't really have to climb up or down the hill. (Didn't have any street routing back then.)

There is no passenger service on the West Shore Line which is the railroad that runs through Bear Mountain State Park. You can get a bus from Manhattan to the park. The NY-NJ Trail Conference has information on trails accessible by public transportation.

The east side of the Hudson is accessible by train. Manitou, Peekskill... Breakneck Ridge has it's own station. A short hike south of Breakneck is Mt Taurus. Some of the most incredible caches in the northeast and they get so few visitors.

The Bear Mountain I know of in NJ is near the Wanaque Reservoir and there is no train stop near there. There may be others - its a popular name.

There is a NJ Transit bus that will take you from the Port Authority to Bearfort Mountain (Warwick Turnpike in West Milford), which is an outstanding place to hike and geocache.

I also live in Manhattan and frequently go up to Bear Mountain using public transportation.

Here's how I do it.

Take the MetroNorth Train- Hudson Line- to Manitou NY. This is a hikers stop on the weekends only (more or less- though it will stop once on the way south in the AM and once on the way north PM M-F for commuters). On the weekends it will stop on the way north in the morning at two different times and on the run south twice in the PM. Check their webpage for the exact hours. You then walk south about 3/4 of a mile and walk across the Bear Mountain Bridge (great views). Turn left and there you are. I know you have kids and this might be too much of a hike for the family. You can also take the train to Peekskill and take a taxi to the Park.

There is a bus- gotten from Port Authority Bus Terminal that will go up there.

I often backpack across the park starting from the west side and one of the towns on Route 17 (like Tuxedo or Sloatsberg where there are geocaches to be found!) and take the train home form Manitou, or vis-versa.

Good luck.

I also live in Manhattan and frequently go up to Bear Mountain using public transportation.

Here's how I do it.

Take the MetroNorth Train- Hudson Line- to Manitou NY. This is a hikers stop on the weekends only (more or less- though it will stop once on the way south in the AM and once on the way north PM M-F for commuters). On the weekends it will stop on the way north in the morning at two different times and on the run south twice in the PM. Check their webpage for the exact hours. You then walk south about 3/4 of a mile and walk across the Bear Mountain Bridge (great views). Turn left and there you are. I know you have kids and this might be too much of a hike for the family. You can also take the train to Peekskill and take a taxi to the Park.

There is a bus- gotten from Port Authority Bus Terminal that will go up there.

I often backpack across the park starting from the west side and one of the towns on Route 17 (like Tuxedo or Sloatsberg where there are geocaches to be found!) and take the train home form Manitou, or vis-versa.

Good luck.

Thanks for this and all the other replies. This is very useful information!