what gps should i buy?

Crab_Soul

The Garmin eTrex H is a good, basic model but I recommend the Garmin Venture HC instead.

The reason being that the eTrex H has a serial connection and is not sold with the PC cable. If you get to the point where you decide that you want to download waypoints directly to your unit (and most regular geocachers do) it will cost you about $60 extra for the required cables for the eTrex H. The Venture HC is only a few bucks more than the eTrex H ($108 at Walmart.com right now) and comes ready to connect to your PC.

So in the long run the Venture HC is cheaper. Not only that, it's a more versatile unit that you are less likely to outgrow.

People like to bash the Magellan Tritons, but I have a Triton 400 and love it! I can download most of the cache info on the page to my unit, except for the size and logs which I don't really need anyway. You can input the coordinates manually if you want, but after a while, you will want to download them!

It's very easy to use and very accurate.

Some people have had problems with them, but if you read the forums you, you will see that people have had problems with all models of GPS's

you can get a Triton 300 at walmart for about $120 and a T400 for about $160.

im looking for a handheld gps. i want one that is strictly for just typeing in the cache point and finding it. i dont care for any extra gizmos or maps ect. i just want to to point me where im going eh?

I'm by no means the ultimate resource on this (having only found two caches so far) but I bought a refurbished (and warrantied) Garmin eTrex Legend HCx for $160 or so on eBay. It's great for dumping locations in directly from this site, it's easy to use, it's color, and it accepts a micro SD card ($5 for a 2 GB card with free shipping from NewEgg.com) allowing me to put Topo 2008 maps on it.

I like it a lot. Maybe there's something better, maybe there's something cheaper, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

Crab soul,

I will echo what briansnat said. I started off with an Etrex. It was a great little unit, but the time it took to manually load every cache got old real quick. I bought the serial cable, but had trouble with that.

From the excellent reviews I have read about the HC, it's sounds like a great starter unit.

im looking for a handheld gps. i want one that is strictly for just typeing in the cache point and finding it. i dont care for any extra gizmos or maps ect. i just want to to point me where im going eh?

The plain jane $99 etrex is for sure the easy and most economical way to go. You can poke in where you want to go and follow it. I would suggest staying with a Garmin, mainly because of all the online support, mostly from people who visit here. You can get anything for an etrex.

I'm 2 weeks into a Vista HCx, bought from adorama for $220, a steal. It's a bit more money, but I don't see needing to upgrade for a LONG time.

You can turn on only the pages you want, simple point & go or you can open a color map with waypoints and geocaches marked and waiting. You can send data straight to the Micro SD card, saving map loading time. If you aren't into maps, you soon will be. whatever your choice have fun and be safe. JM5

Etrex H, does the job. Very accurate, got a fair few FTF's with it.

I have been out with a few people and sorry to say but my etrex h does the job, better than others. For £70 its great.

I want to upgrade but my etrex H just does the job so well.

BTW a serial cable is a must.