who should log a find when caching as a team?

mj+4

Hello,

I'm a true newbe. I have been attracted to geocaching for several years and have finally found the time and resources to get started. My girlfriend and I will soon be going out to find our first cache (Ordered a GPS and it's in the mail now). My question is about logging finds. We will be going out and geocaching together as a team but have both created user accounts. Is it ok for both of us to log the find (or DNF) independently, or should only one of us make the entry? I couldnt find anything specific on the subject and wanted to know what the general rule is.

Thanks,

mj+4

Both of you can log a find!

Since you each have your own account you should both log those you find together. Some people log the cache even if the other person goes out and finds it alone, but my wife and I only log caches that we have personally visited.

Ok, we were leaning toward that logic; we just didnt want to assume it was ok.

Thanks alot for all of the replies...I'm sure i'll have more Q's once we get "out there"

I think that if you are a part of the team searching for the cache, you all log the find regardless of who actually uncovers it.

My personal ethic is that if I'm actively involved with the hunt I will log the find regardless of which member of my team actually finds the cache. If I'm standing there chatting with someone while everyone else hunts, or if I'm at the tail end of a group and the cache is already out when I get there, I don't log the find. But that's what feels right for me. Other people do it differently

Sometimes groups will allow each person to find the cache, then walk away and say "I found it", allowing the others to continue the hunt. This works pretty well with smaller groups, but isn't practical with a large group. Other groups will just gather around and sign the log when one finds it. Both are considered to be fine.

In the end, do what feels right to you. I don't think you'll get much grief from anybody no matter which method you choose.

Edited by briansnat

I agree with all the other posters above.

The only comment I vaguely have with groups caching is with DNF's. As a cache owner I have had a few groups DNF one my caches (it was a tricky hide and was in place at the time). Now very quickly you can have all 5 of the previous logs filled with DNFs when it was all done at the same time. Now ultimately you could argue that there is 4 or 5 independent cachers looking together so what difference does it make.

Just another perspective on the matter, but as a previous poster has stated when it gets anal about posting its time to get out!!