Using An 81MM Mortar Carry Tube For A Cache

Headhardhat

When looking at the container, I thought it's one of those painting/drawing/plans carrying tube. At 2 feet long, a format A1 sheet of paper (european format, slightly less than 2*3 feet) can be rolled up and fitted inside.

I'm not an architect nor a soldier, but I saw more architects carrying plans than soldiers carrying mortar shells, so I'm biased towards 'container for civilian use'.

My friend bought one of those at a flea market for 5 dollars yesterday. Theres a better chance of a regular tupperware container being mistaken for a bomb before one of the mortar conatiners does.

Let's do the math. Military explosives container + someone finds/sees it hidden = bomb squad practice. And you may get to pay for it!

Apparently any cache in any container anywhere, labeled or unlabeled can be blown up - but mostly it's about location.

I'd hide that tube way the heck out in the woods. Not around residential or commercial districts, downtown, urban or suburban or rural parks, or any kind of traffic structures no matter how remote ..... Lotsa places it doesn't go, but plenty where it's likely okay.

Indeed, I have a steel tube container out in some woods - beyond the 4x roads, beyond the bit of marked trail; out of the way of all but the geocachers. A hunter might find it, I doubt they'd call the bomb squad - but it could happen. More likely they'd take it, nice stainless container. Even more likely, it'll be out there for years.

I've been thinking about the label situation. It is becoming clear that using a geocaching dot com sticker won't stop the bomb squad from opening the container with extreme prejudice. So, I think we need to keep the bomb squad from being called out in the first place. I think we should use a different label. Something like your local banks logo. That way the muggle that finds it will think it is some stolen loot and just open it. May not save the cache, but would keep it out of the news.

Hide it in an out of the way part of the boonies and it should be fine.

Someone gave me one of these a couple of years ago. I've been waiting for just the right spot to hide it.

I've debated using something like pretty pastel pink paint or a giant hippie flower-power print on it to make it seem less threatening. I'm pretty sure I'd have to chain it to something to keep it from walking away. And I'f sure it would have to be hidden somewhere out of sight of casual passers-by. Probably on my own property or some other private property with explicit permission and full disclosure of that on the cache page would be best, so anyone likely to be around to see it would know what it was and that it was supposed to be there.

But I think it has possibilities.

Let's do the math. Military explosives container + someone finds/sees it hidden = bomb squad practice. And you may get to pay for it!

If using military surplus for cache containers at a minimum please use common sense (which I know always isn't so common). The best advice already posted is to put the cache on private proerty with explicit permission. The other is place the geocache sticker on it with FULL contact information on the decal. This could minimize potential headaches and/or bad press.

If you don't want the bomb squad to blow it up, just stick a note to the canister saying "This isn't a bomb, don't blow me up!" It's sure to work!

I do agree with Ramona, putting blatant contact information on the canister would dispel most suspicions of it being a bomb. That's not to say someone won't freak out anyway, but its better than nothing.

Has anyone tried using an architect's blueprint tube for a cache?

Couldn't agree more about the placement of a cache like this. I am a huge believer that we should be extremely cautious of where we place geocaches. I would not put something like this in an open urban area, even worse under a bridge or by a historic marker. Matter of fact I wouldn't place any geocache in spots like that now a days. Anything larger than a small is usually out in the woods somewhere.

Thanks for all the great feedback and keep it coming!

-HHH :)

Here is an interesting cache that I originally found while geocaching and now went out and bought one for myself.

We have a couple of 105mm Howitzer tubes in the wild. Longer. Wider. Very air tight and secure. Good for laying next to a log in the woods. Great container.

BTW, "bomb squad visits" depends on where you put the cache and the type of person likely to come across it.

Edited by CoyoteRed

I use them, but they can be hard to come by at times.

Similarly there is this from Agri Supply. It looks about the same, only it's listed as an "Operator Manual Canister" and it has some markings on the outside.

I've seen them at the local Tractor Supply Co. store too. If I remember right they were a little more expensive locally, but with shipping and such it may have been a wash.