need help

AriEthan

I am trying to find the coordinates to a mystery cache, I solved the puzzle, at least I thought I did, but the coordinates lead me to the wrong place. The message makes sense, but the coordinates are wrong. Can anyone help me out? The cache # is GC19CT6

Edited by ariethan

I am trying to find the coordinates to a mystery cache, I solved the puzzle, at least I thought I did, but the coordinates lead me to the wrong place. The message makes sense, but the coordinates are wrong. Can anyone help me out? The messages starts out..."The Cache can be found at"

The cache # is GC19CT6

Have you contacted the cache owner for help? It is generally considered bad form to post to the forums looking for puzzle cache solutions. :D

I am trying to find the coordinates to a mystery cache, I solved the puzzle, at least I thought I did, but the coordinates lead me to the wrong place. The message makes sense, but the coordinates are wrong. Can anyone help me out? The messages starts out..."The Cache can be found at"

The cache # is GC19CT6

Have you contacted the cache owner for help? It is generally considered bad form to post to the forums looking for puzzle cache solutions. :D

Why would it be bad form?

Yes I left a note on the log.

But...That is what these forums are for to discuss and compare caches, right? I solved the puzzle and I am just asking if anyone can come up with a different answer to help me out.

If anyone wants to find the answer or just a hint, but doesn't want to post it here through my profile

Edited by ariethan

The cache # is GC19CT6

Have you contacted the cache owner for help? It is generally considered bad form to post to the forums looking for puzzle cache solutions. :P

But...That is what these forums are for to discuss and compare caches, right? I solved the puzzle and I am just asking if anyone can come up with a different answer to help me out.

If anyone wants to find the answer, but doesn't want to post it here, please email me , I would appreciate any help.

Why? Because you should ask the cache owner first, or at least use the Geochecker. It's also not a great idea to post your email address in a public forum. :D Edited by mtn-man

The cache # is GC19CT6

If anyone wants to find the answer, but doesn't want to post it here, please email me , I would appreciate any help.

Hello? Hello? What am I missing here? Isn't a puzzle cache all about solving the puzzle yourself, rather than running to the forums and asking folks for the answer? And yes, some puzzles and encryptions do have multiple possible solutions, where only one is the correct answer. That is all part of the puzzle, and that does not warrant asking other geocachers to solve the puzzle for you and to give you the answer.

Edited by mtn-man

The cache # is GC19CT6

No the forums are not to come to get other people to solve puzzles for you. They are for people do discuss guidlines and caching in general.

Edited by mtn-man

notes on the cache page are not the same as sending a message to the cache owner through their profile. write to the owner and maybe they can tell you a hint or two. Solve the puzzle yourself with the owners help or maybe a local friend but don't ask for help solving puzzles here. No cache owner wants their answers given away without you earning it.

Hello? Hello? What am I missing here? Isn't a puzzle cache all about solving the puzzle yourself, rather than running to the forums and asking folks for the answer? And yes, some puzzles and encryptions do have multiple possible solutions, where only one is the correct answer. That is all part of the puzzle, and that does not warrant asking other geocachers to solve the puzzle for you and to give you the answer.

I am horrible with puzzles and I properly hide my shame.

There ought to be some kinda Cachers Puzzle Solver/Code Breaker apprenticeship program.

Geez, give the guy a break. We can't all be puzzle cache superstars. I've solicited help with puzzle caches before, albeit never on the forums. That's what Geocacher Meet and Greets are for!

That's fine to do. The problem with the forums is there is then a public, permanent solution to the cache. It's no different than posting a spoiler picture of a clever hide.

Geez, give the guy a break. We can't all be puzzle cache superstars. I've solicited help with puzzle caches before, albeit never on the forums. That's what Geocacher Meet and Greets are for!

Is that what they're for? Getting the answers to puzzles? :)

nevermind people. Just thought I could get a hand. and yes I asked the owner of the cache, but it didn't really help any.

thanks only for the few positive responses

I think the forum regulars have been less than polite in guiding a relatively new poster in the ways of the forums. Not everybody is aquainted with all the detail and even less aquainted with the rough and tumble of forum communication - it can be thoroughly offputting to a new visitor.

To the OP (Original Poster): Posting details of a puzzle you cannot solve on tthe forums is not good as it can give away secrets to a good puzzle. Best is to contact the cache owner or previous finders - there are many willing helpers out there. In my opinion I also see nothing so wrong in requesting help on the forums. Just do not give any details away and ask folks to contact via private email. Having said that, you naturally have a better chance of success by contacting the owner or previous finders directly than the forums as the chance of contacting someone who knows the cache on the forums is not as good.

There ought to be some kinda Cachers Puzzle Solver/Code Breaker apprenticeship program.

I tend to agree. There should be a CHEATERS section of the forum or perhaps a separate website for people who need to look up an answer like using the solutions in the back of a crossword book to fill in the grid. Just look at all the websites and books there are for cheating at video games. Someone could make a fortune selling answers to puzzle caches. :)

Is that what they're for? Getting the answers to puzzles? :D

That and discovering geocoins in someone's collection.

I tend to agree. There should be a CHEATERS section of the forum or perhaps a separate website for people who need to look up an answer like using the solutions in the back of a crossword book to fill in the grid. Just look at all the websites and books there are for cheating at video games. Someone could make a fortune selling answers to puzzle caches. :)

That'd be harsh if it were remotely creative. There's no need to be cheeky with me since I was actually tossing that out earnestly. I said apprenticeship. So experienced puzzle solvers can teach inexperienced puzzle solvers ways to solve puzzles on their own. I'm at a very beginner level. I can solve a cryptogram and anagram and anything that's very basic (like a font change to WingDings). I'm bewildered by most of the puzzle caches in my area.

If an experienced puzzle solver in my area set up an Event as a Workshop, I'd be there.

The cache # is GC19CT6

Why? Because you should ask the cache owner first, or at least use the Geochecker. It's also not a great idea to post your email address in a public forum. :D

And it's a really bad idea to post it in a forum that vinny has access to. :D:unsure::):laughing:

Edited by mtn-man

That'd be harsh if it were remotely creative. There's no need to be cheeky with me since I was actually tossing that out earnestly. I said apprenticeship. So experienced puzzle solvers can teach inexperienced puzzle solvers ways to solve puzzles on their own. I'm at a very beginner level. I can solve a cryptogram and anagram and anything that's very basic (like a font change to WingDings). I'm bewildered by most of the puzzle caches in my area.

If an experienced puzzle solver in my area set up an Event as a Workshop, I'd be there.

One cacher in Michigan has done some awesome presentations at events. I'll see if I can find his PowerPoint and link it here.

I'm all with you on that one. There have been several threads discussing general problem solving techniques and sharing resources for solving typical puzzles and there have been events where puzzle masters have shared these general tips as well. I've also seen events where you had teams working together to solve problems (and find caches). The event organizer would have rules to encourage the team to have members with varying puzzle solving experience so that people just starting out doing puzzles could learn from experienced solvers.

Well, in my area a puzzle cacher setup a series of puzzle caches as a teaching aid. Calls them Puzzle Solving 101. about 7-8 caches, each using a different style of puzzle. Then each cache you find gives you info to use to find the final and collect your diploma.