New and Confused

Ming3

Hello all. I am new to geocaching but have been wanting to try it for a long time. I finally got the chance this weekend at my sons Boy Scout campout and was totally hooked. My intention was to get a basic gps and maybe upgrade some time later. but the more i researched, the more confused i got about features.

do i need electronic compass? some say its a must, others say no. Same with memory. Some say 24mb is very basic while others say its more than enough.

If anyone would be so kind to help me choose a unit that would suffice my geocaching needs, it would be REALLY appreciated. I live in South Florida but would like to use my GPS and maybe go geocahing while on vacation as well.

I am currently looking at the:

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin Etrex Legend

Garmin eTrex Legend CX

GarminEtrex Summit HC

Garmin Etrex Venture HC

Or if anyone can reccomend another unit, preferably under $150, i would appreciate the help.

Looking forward to getting started. Wish i had done so a year ago when it first caught my attention.

THANKS TO ALL!

Hello all. I am new to geocaching but have been wanting to try it for a long time. I finally got the chance this weekend at my sons Boy Scout campout and was totally hooked. My intention was to get a basic gps and maybe upgrade some time later. but the more i researched, the more confused i got about features.

do i need electronic compass? some say its a must, others say no. Same with memory. Some say 24mb is very basic while others say its more than enough.

If anyone would be so kind to help me choose a unit that would suffice my geocaching needs, it would be REALLY appreciated. I live in South Florida but would like to use my GPS and maybe go geocahing while on vacation as well.

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin Etrex Legend

Garmin eTrex Legend CX

GarminEtrex Summit HC

Garmin Etrex Venture HC

Or if anyone can reccomend another unit, preferably under $150, i would appreciate the help.

Looking forward to getting started. Wish i had done so a year ago when it first caught my attention.

THANKS TO ALL!

I can't tell you what to buy, only give you my opinion. If you get an Etrex get either the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx, nothing less. BIG difference in the receiver with that upgrade. Plus it holds twice as many caches. If you get one that's not HCx it's a really old unit as they don't make them anymore. I had a Vista and upgraded to the Vista HCx. Was very happy with the upgrade. Keep an eye out for a good deal on price. Even the 60CSx which is supposed to be the top of the line before Colorado or Oregon has been on sale lately for close to your price range. In my opinion if you get one that doesn't have the bells and whistles and decide you love caching you are going to be looking to upgrade very soon. If you decide you don't love it you can sell your unit here usually for almost what you paid.

Thanks for the replies.

i was told about the 60csx, but the cheapest i had seen it for was close to $300 on amazon. Way out of my price range. Is there a website you could recommend where i could find them cheaper? Im not a big fan of spending that much for electronics on Ebay though.

I had contemplated the vista hcx in the sense that i can just get a good gps from the start and it would stay with me for a while before i had to upgrade.

Thanks!

The 60CSx deal has been from Target via Amazon.

Walmart.com has the Legend HCx for $174 right now. They were the ones with the good Vista deal, but they aren't offering it now.

Yeah i saw Walmart had the Legend HCX for $174 and the Vista HCX for $196.

would you sugest the Legend or go with the Vista for the extra $22?

You could also check out the DeLorme PN-20, I think it's around $200 or less and it is a GREAT unit! A bit slower than it's big brother the PN-40, but still a good unit for the price! The PN-20 comes with all the maps you'll need to route, it's somewhat paperless (but should improve even more soon) and is expandable!!

Look around, there's other units besides the Garmin!!

Don't know if this will help you decide what is important to you or just make it even more confusing but here is what those letters mean:

"H" = high sensitivity receiver

"C" = color screen

"x" = microSD card reader

"S" = barometric altimeter and electronic compass

PN-20 is very underpowered for what it's meant to be able to do i.e. use imagery. You're hamstringing yourself there, the PN-40 is the Delorme unit that matches power with it's actual ability.

For the money you are saying, ignore the bells and whistles of imagery or true paperless caching and go for an etrex Legend HCX or Vista HCX. The lack of electronic compass is not a deal breaker. 24Mb is enough to load on a state worth of maps if you go on to buy some later, but you will love the "X" expansion card in time...much extended mapping, ability to add custom POI, unlimited caches with limited description. The Vista HCX is a VERY similar unit to the 60CSX in terms of sensitivity, accuracy (similar chipset) and ability (same UI). I had a Vista HCX for over a year, you can squeeze a LOT of functionality from it.

Edited by Maingray

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin Etrex Legend

Garmin eTrex Legend CX

GarminEtrex Summit HC

Garmin Etrex Venture HC

Oh, so you came by our geocaching session at the Lincoln-Marti Camporee???

You should have taken the chance to chat with us about possible models. We had several eTrex, and I had some Garmin brochures. Its funny that we had GPSr from 3 different people and we all had various eTrex models.

Of your 5 possible choices, I would say go for one with a "H" in it over one without. H means 'high sensitivity', which means it picks up the signals from satellites better.

After that, you have to decide what other features you want. Personally, I don't see the need to pay extra for the electronic compass and altimeter.

I personally now use a Legend HCx, which replaces my Venture. (I still keep the Venture as my 'loaner' for others to use).

Comparing the Summit HC, Venture HC, and Legend HCx, these where what decided it for me.

* the Legend HCx is expandable. I had found this a problem with my Venture. I can also add full maps, which is nice. (all three have a 'basemap', which is the major highways, and that's it)

*the Summit HC has an electronic compass & altimeter. Don't see a value in that, so its a reason I wouldn't get it.

Otherwise the features of the 3 are the same.

As others advised, check on-line prices. Once I had decided on a model, I kept an eye on Amazon, as they were every so often given prices within the range I wanted to pay. I think within 2 weeks or so, it dropped to the point I was willing to pay, and got it.

FWIW, I was also looking at the 60Cx vs the Legend HCx. Once I found the reception of the 2 was the same, the higher cost of the 60Cx pushed me to go with the Legend HCx.

PN-20 is very underpowered for what it's meant to be able to do i.e. use imagery. You're hamstringing yourself there, the PN-40 is the Delorme unit that matches power with it's actual ability.

For the money you are saying, ignore the bells and whistles of imagery or true paperless caching and go for an etrex Legend HCX or Vista HCX. The lack of electronic compass is not a deal breaker. 24Mb is enough to load on a state worth of maps if you go on to buy some later, but you will love the "X" expansion card in time...much extended mapping, ability to add custom POI, unlimited caches with limited description. The Vista HCX is a VERY similar unit to the 60CSX in terms of sensitivity, accuracy (similar chipset) and ability (same UI). I had a Vista HCX for over a year, you can squeeze a LOT of functionality from it.

Imagine if you will...you want to go out caching, so you do one of two things:

1) you break out the Vista, look up caches in the area, print out the descriptions and then you are ready to head out (maybe only 15-20 minutes if you hurry and aren't going after too many caches...). You arrive at the cache parking location, shuffle the papers to find the right one, read the description and realize you forgot to decrypt the hint...not a biggie, just a slight hassle.

OR

2) You decide to go caching, so you grab your PN-20 and head for the Jeep. While on the way, you acquire sat and look up the closest. Reading the info as you let the Jeep warm, you decide to go for it and you're off! Get to the location, you double check the info to see the hint and away you go on your adventure!

Don't let them tell you this bell and whistle is someting you don't need! :)

1) you break out the Vista, look up caches in the area, print out the descriptions and then you are ready to head out (maybe only 15-20 minutes if you hurry and aren't going after too many caches...). You arrive at the cache parking location, shuffle the papers to find the right one, read the description and realize you forgot to decrypt the hint...not a biggie, just a slight hassle.

OR

2) You decide to go caching, so you grab your PN-20 and head for the Jeep. While on the way, you acquire sat and look up the closest. Reading the info as you let the Jeep warm, you decide to go for it and you're off! Get to the location, you double check the info to see the hint and away you go on your adventure!

Don't let them tell you this bell and whistle is someting you don't need! :)

LOL and heck, no I'd have a $10 PDA with the Vista for unlimited paperless. I did close on 2,000 caches without paperless, but probably printed out about 5 paper pages ever. A paperless GPSr is something you want after you've grown sure you want to remain Geocaching... I still maintain you should rather get the PN-40 than the PN-20, and that is out of his stated price range. Heck, you don't even need a mapping unit to go caching.

OR

Don't let them tell you this bell and whistle is someting you don't need! :D

LOL and heck, no I'd have a $10 PDA with the Vista for unlimited paperless. I did close on 2,000 caches without paperless, but probably printed out about 5 paper pages ever. A paperless GPSr is something you want after you've grown sure you want to remain Geocaching... I still maintain you should rather get the PN-40 than the PN-20, and that is out of his stated price range. Heck, you don't even need a mapping unit to go caching.

And you're right, that's an option. Since you're paying less for the PN-20 than you are for the Vista (considering maps will be bought for the Vista), why would you?? Considering also, how tricky it is to learn GSAK (needed for the Vista and for the PDA), all the extra work involved and the added risk of having an accident (which, while maybe not expensive, losing the PDA could spell the end of a trip), I'd still not discount the PN-20!!

But, I also wouldn't stop there and just shoot for the PN-40 at around $320! :) If you can afford it of course...it would mean no need to upgrade for awhile!! Many say the PN-40 will be THE GPS unit when the update comes out (which I hope is soon)!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

But, I also wouldn't stop there and just shoot for the PN-40 at around $320! :) If you can afford it of course...it would mean no need to upgrade for awhile!! Many say the PN-40 will be THE GPS unit when the update comes out (which I hope is soon)!

I'm with you Rockin Roddy, I hope it comes out soon too!

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=1...c&start=126

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

But, I also wouldn't stop there and just shoot for the PN-40 at around $320! :D If you can afford it of course...it would mean no need to upgrade for awhile!! Many say the PN-40 will be THE GPS unit when the update comes out (which I hope is soon)!

I'm with you Rockin Roddy, I hope it comes out soon too!

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=1...c&start=126

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

If only DeLorme had mainstream software developed for Canadian GPS users :)

just another newb here following this thread and trying to deside on a unit myself. Mostly I want paperless geochaching, as well as accuracy and ease of use. NEver even heard of these delormes before. want to get a unit, a good one, and not have to upgrade next month when i realize I didnt get the one I should have. So far have been looking at Garmin Colorado, Garmin GPSMAP 60 CXs, and Magellan Tritons. Some claim to be capable of paperless cahcing, and others people say you can make them work with software. This thread has only served to confuse me more. lol. Would love to hear from folks that have used these units and how good the paperless caching works and if it is easy to enable. :)

just another newb here following this thread and trying to deside on a unit myself. Mostly I want paperless geochaching, as well as accuracy and ease of use. NEver even heard of these delormes before. want to get a unit, a good one, and not have to upgrade next month when i realize I didnt get the one I should have. So far have been looking at Garmin Colorado, Garmin GPSMAP 60 CXs, and Magellan Tritons. Some claim to be capable of paperless cahcing, and others people say you can make them work with software. This thread has only served to confuse me more. lol. Would love to hear from folks that have used these units and how good the paperless caching works and if it is easy to enable. :)

I own the PN-40 and I can't say enough about it! Paperless at this time is limited slightly, but will definitely improve with the update which is promised to come out soon! With the PN-40, you simply downlad the cache in GPX format and load it to the maps included with the unit, simple export from there to the unit and you're done. No need to fiddle with the GSAK, no need to do any other steps, the info is there! The entire process is simple even for me, and I'm a computer moron!!

Before this, I used the PDA to paperless, but the GSAk was tricky at best and I couldn't figure out how to make it work like it should! The PN-40 comes with everything you need right in the box (maps, batteries, SD card, cables etc), setup is a breeze and using is simple as well!! DeLorme has their own forums to answer questions (very helpful and quick), and it sounds like the DeLorme team is always there to help.

The PN-20 is basically the little brother to the PN-40, it's a litle slower due to only having one processor (PN-40 has dual), but just as capable!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

If only DeLorme had mainstream software developed for Canadian GPS users :laughing:

Thank you for the request... we've definitely heard this from a lot of users here and on our own forum. While an XMap upgrade is our only solution available at this time for the PN-Series devices we are listening to the requests...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

...... Some claim to be capable of paperless caching, and others people say you can make them work with software. This thread has only served to confuse me more. lol. Would love to hear from folks that have used these units and how good the paperless caching works and if it is easy to enable. :laughing:

Allow me to attempt to help here.

Firstly, I have only used the DeLorme models, PN-20 and -40 for geocaching. Therefore, the characterizations that I make regarding other handheld GPSrs are based on readings herein and if I mis-characterize any of these others, hopefully I'll be corrected.

Regarding the Garmin models, only the Colorado and Oregon support paperless geocaching right out of the box, nothing else to buy. As I understand it the other models require the user to aquire aftermarket software and hardware. For example, to paperless cache with the 60CSx, one needs to buy a PDA (Palm Pilots suffice) and the Cachemate and GSAK software applications.

I got lucky with my aquisiton of the DeLorme PN-20 with respect to its capability to provide a paperless geocaching experience as I bought before I became aware of the sport. There may be some here who will advise that there are currently some minimal limitations to the PN-20's and -40's capabilities to support truly paperless geocaching. However, I don't want get in a big row with them over that, so I will concede the issue. OTOH, I do have a real issue getting these guys to run around clutching papers in their hands, but they find 'em regardless. :blink:

If only DeLorme had mainstream software developed for Canadian GPS users :laughing:

Thank you for the request... we've definitely heard this from a lot of users here and on our own forum. While an XMap upgrade is our only solution available at this time for the PN-Series devices we are listening to the requests...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

DeLorme is a no-go in the UK too unfortunately.

Many people already have mobile phones/PDAs that can be used for paperless caching these days. The ability to connect to geocaching.com's WAP site is a big draw too.