Please help, I'm struggling

Hi, I am new here, this is my first post and I'm not sure what the etiquette is on starting new threads, so apologies if I'm repeating things you've all heard before.

I have been wanting to start geocaching with my children for a while and I got a TomTom One for Christmas and thought I would give it a go with that. I've realised that this probably isn't the best thing for the job and I think my expectations were too high as well, I was kind of expecting to be led to exactly the right spot without having to think.

I've realised that I need to get an OS map and a suitable GPS. Money is a big issue for me, I'm a single parent with 4 children, so I can't buy anything expensive. I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me. I have been reading the forum and I've now got so much information going round in my head, I can't think straight anymore. I also don't really understand about base maps etc etc.

TIA.

first off welcome to the forum and to the joys of caching.

You can get a basic Garmin (yellow extrex) which will do the job you require from ebay (currently Tesco also have them 1/2 price). You will still have to think but that will be part of the fun, pick some simple caches to start with

You can get O/s maps on loan from your local library.

Where abouts are you caching?

Hello and welcome,

I to am new to the site and geocaching. I am yet to go out on a hunt still waiting for my new GPS to arrive (Hopefully tomorrow) I have found this site very good assisting me on which to get. There are many units on ebay up for grabs fairly cheap.

As already said it my pay to see if there is anyone local to you that would be able to help. Where are you from?

Hello and welcome to geocaching! :) Prefer yourself for long, cold, frustrating days! ;)

I use the Garmin GPS60 which I can vouch for being a cracking bit of kit. But at £90 or so, I realise it may be out of your price range, so worth checking out the Garmin Extrex as others have mentioned. Just had a look for you and it's £40 on Tesco: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-8029.aspx

When I started out I only had an OS Explorer map which allowed me to get a rough idea of where the caches were. It's possible to do but it was a bit hit and miss!

Worth having a look at the Ordnance Survey's free Get-A-Map website which allows you to downloads maps at every different scale. That'll save you £7.99 a pop or a trip to your local library.

Here's the link for Get-A-Map: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

If you're caching in Kent, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help! :)

I use the Garmin GPS60 which I can vouch for being a cracking bit of kit. But at £90 or so, I realise it may be out of your price range, so worth checking out the Garmin Extrex as others have mentioned. Just had a look for you and it's £40 on Tesco: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-8029.aspx

But bare in mind the tesco one is the Etrex, not the Ertex H which is a higher sensitivity model. The Extex H is on Amazon for £60. I use one and have no trouble at all with it - basic but functional. It can be slow to get a fix if you turn it on in woodland, but once it has a fix I've never lost it.

When I started out I only had an OS Explorer map which allowed me to get a rough idea of where the caches were. It's possible to do but it was a bit hit and miss!

I still use OS maps when I'm out caching and for planning trips - sometimes it good to check which side of a river you need to walk along to find the cache ;)

If you're caching in Kent, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help! :)

Us Kent Cachers must be online in force today - somone in another thread was from Canterbury - must be the pouring rain keeping us all inside :)

Edited by hawkeye81

Thanks for your help so far. I saw the Garmin Etrex on the Tesco website, you think that would be the best thing for me then?

I live near Maidstone in Kent. I've been out a couple of times already and I'm really enjoying it. The kids don't seem to have the patience to go for a long walk before finding a cache, but hopefully that will change as I learn what I'm actually doing and the weather improves.

Thanks for your help so far. I saw the Garmin Etrex on the Tesco website, you think that would be the best thing for me then?

The Tesco forty quid deal is reasonable but it's only about ten or fifteen quid less than you can find the enhanced model ('eTrex H') which has a markedly better receiver inside. You might struggle to get a satellite fix under trees with a regular eTrex (the one Tesco are selling) which shouldn't happen with the H model. If your budget stretches another 15 quid, go for the H model.

There are currently a few new/retail packaged eTrex H units on Amazon Marketplace for around 56 quid. Linky

You dont need maps!

I have them in in digital but you can easily get away with a number of free downloads.

• Download Firefox Browser and ditch IE

• Download Greasemonkey extension for Firefox. link but read the thread esp. the latest pages. Look for Edgemaster's scripts for mapping.

• Download Google Earth and download the Google Mapping Features KML extension. Look at your Account, its on the right hand side of the page.

Then armed with all this you can then get a good idea as to where the caches lie (traditional ones that is)

That is very kind of you Moote, if you are sure you don't need it I would love to take it off your hands. I'd be more than happy to give you something for it though.

I have sorted the Google map thingy and also had a look at Streetmaps and I think if I prepare myself a bit better, I should be able to manage with those.

Thanks for your help everyone.

That is very kind of you Moote, if you are sure you don't need it I would love to take it off your hands. I'd be more than happy to give you something for it though.

I have sorted the Google map thingy and also had a look at Streetmaps and I think if I prepare myself a bit better, I should be able to manage with those.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Hey no problem, I'll dig it out for you

I still use OS maps when I'm out caching and for planning trips - sometimes it good to check which side of a river you need to walk along to find the cache ;)

Haha, good point hawkeye! I've done that a couple of times! :lol: Most embarassing moment was a two mile walk along the Medway, getting 300ft away from the cache ... only to find the tide was high and the path was covered! ;) You live and learn!

There's a lot of us on here today - good point about the rain. I was hoping for another nine caches in Medway today that would've given me my 100. Alas!

Methinks the Kent cachers are due a meet up soon! Is there a group in Kent already do you know? :P

Hi and welcome.

I don't want to overload you with info, so I'll keep this short.

We survived OK with a Yellow for our first couple of hundred caches. The big thing is they only cope with 6 character names, and all newer caches have 7 characters. Not a problem if you enter them by hand, but once you get a cable to download them direct, it gets a little more complex, but still quite easy. That's something to cover when you get that far.

Don't worry about maps, just use the 'Geocaching.com Google Map' link or one of the others, and print off the results, like this link Map example . It's more than enough for basic use. You could even switch to the satellite view. OS are only needed if you go into wild country!

I live near Maidstone in Kent. I've been out a couple of times already and I'm really enjoying it. The kids don't seem to have the patience to go for a long walk before finding a cache, but hopefully that will change as I learn what I'm actually doing and the weather improves.

If I were you, I would perhaps contact a local cacher and ask if they wouldn't mind you tagging along, or perhaps would they show you the ropes....

Although I'm all the way up in the North West, there are a few cachers I know wouldn't mind you contacting them... try Little Miss Naughty, Moo Too, Team Skully... any of those....

Welcome - I'm sure you'll be as hooked as all of us in no time!!!

Definitely go for the Etrex H option,make sure it is the H(higher sensitivity)or you`ll get very frustrated down in the woods!

We cache with our kids and have had heaps of fun,after your initial outlay you`ll probably save money especially in the early days when your nearest caches will be close to home.

Don`t forget if the kids get fed up,pack up and go home,or they may not want to go again ,and keep them involved,decoding hints ,making /hiding caches ,using the GPS etc.

Oh and welcome! :lol:

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who offered me help and advice. Sorry it took me so long to come back.

My children are visiting their dad for the weekend, so I may well venture out alone tomorrow before the snow arrives on Sunday!

Why should snow put you off? :antenna:

Welcome to the addictive world of Geocaching :D

Don't let the snow put you off!

Chances are you'll be muggle (members of the public who may 'mug' the cache when you're gone) free whilst you have a look around, some of my best 'sessions' have been when it's cold and raining :D

I think it was Sir Ranulph Fiennes who said

" There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. "

Get out there and enjoy it!

Welcome to the addictive world of Geocaching :D

Don't let the snow put you off!

Chances are you'll be muggle (members of the public who may 'mug' the cache when you're gone) free whilst you have a look around, some of my best 'sessions' have been when it's cold and raining :D

I think it was Sir Ranulph Fiennes who said

" There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. "

Get out there and enjoy it!

Very true BUT while it's one thing finding caches under heaps of sticks or stones, it does definitely get harder when you first have to locate the said sticks or stones under 6 inches of snow or floodwater