Track Distances in 60CSx

azspecter

Sure. "SAVE" the active track. Select any saved track and its distance is displayed.

huh. That didn't work. It's saying I walked 132 miles today. I know that's not right (although, I wish!) Here's what I got-

I have a 'confined' track on the screen that I walked today. I don't see any other tracks on there, and deleted all waypoints before I went caching today- not sure if that deletes all existing tracks or not. So I deleted all waypoints, loaded new caches (via GSAK), turned off the unit. Turned ON the unit when I arrived on location to start caching. I did my caches, then turned off the unit again.

Can you maybe walk me through step by step to figure out the distance I walked today? I really appreciate it!

Sure. "SAVE" the active track. Select any saved track and its distance is displayed.

huh. That didn't work. It's saying I walked 132 miles today. I know that's not right (although, I wish!) Here's what I got-

I have a 'confined' track on the screen that I walked today. I don't see any other tracks on there, and deleted all waypoints before I went caching today- not sure if that deletes all existing tracks or not. So I deleted all waypoints, loaded new caches (via GSAK), turned off the unit. Turned ON the unit when I arrived on location to start caching. I did my caches, then turned off the unit again.

Can you maybe walk me through step by step to figure out the distance I walked today? I really appreciate it!

Do you have Mapsource?

If so, upload your tracks into Mapsource and edit the track as necessary to see what you walked. That will tell you the distance.

If you don't have Mapsource, Trip and Waypoint Manager may do the same thing...I'm just not sure.

The way that I keep records of my track is,

1. turn the tracklog on when I hit the trailhead (or other starting point)

2. hike, bike snowshoe, explore.

3. turn tracklog off when I get back to the beginning (or other end point)

4. at some point plug the gps into computer with mapsource (trip and waypoint manager installs this too)

5. click the button to download from gps, then select what I want to download, usually tracks and waypoints)

6. find the track I am interested in and select it, right click and select track properties. near the bottom of the info box is the info you are looking for.

hope that helps

Bryan

No, didn't know I wanted to see how far I was going to walk until after the trip was over- so I didn't turn it on. I DO have MapSource and Trip Manager- just haven't installed it yet. I got a new laptop- but it has Vista on it. Will these run with Vista?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hey guys-

Is there a way with my 60CSx to figure out how far I've traveled based off my tracks?

Thanks!

Pull the track into MapSource and select the track to view.

You can with the selection tool, select the points you want to see how far it is (done by click and drag over the area of the track you want to see the distance).

No, didn't know I wanted to see how far I was going to walk until after the trip was over- so I didn't turn it on. I DO have MapSource and Trip Manager- just haven't installed it yet. I got a new laptop- but it has Vista on it. Will these run with Vista?

Thanks for the help guys!

Without tracks turn one, you're pretty much out of luck.

I guess you could recreate the track in MapSource with the track tool; from the starting point to where you walked. That would probably give you a rough idea of the distance.