Challenge Caches

240 Jordy

We recently posted and got approval for our first Challenge Cache called "42 - Do you have your towel", we're anticipating it taking approximately 1 year to get a finished. What they don't know is that each month it's delayed the FTF prize gets better..

We wanted it to be unique, but had a little bit of a challenge to find a full list of existing challenge caches that are unique.

We've seen the:

555 (find 55 caches with a terrain 5 or difficulty 5)

A-Z challenge (find a cache that starts with each letter of the alphabet)

and he well known Fizzy Challenge

But apart from those we haven't seen any others..

While we think of the next one we wanted to know what else is out there, as we don't want to claim our own cache we're having to much fun watching people claim this one - at the last event people were wondering if there was a misplaced nudist colony walking around with their towels..

So if you know of one can you send it our way.. I'm also looking for ideas for a province wide challenge as I'm part of the executive of the BC Geocaching Association so hoping we can find a few good ideas

Edited by Tulameen Turtles
We recently posted and got approval for our first Challenge Cache called "42 - Do you have your towel", we're anticipating it taking approximately 1 year to get a finished. What they don't know is that each month it's delayed the FTF prize gets better..

Wow, just looked at your listing & that's definitely a challenge!

Even though we are very far away from your location, we will enjoy watching the logs on this one. ;)

Awesome idea for a challenge cache!

My only objection is the rule that all found caches must have been hidden before yours. What, do you think that a ton of people are going to rush out and hide 5-star caches so their friends can claim it to satisfy your requirements?

Awesome idea for a challenge cache!

My only objection is the rule that all found caches must have been hidden before yours. What, do you think that a ton of people are going to rush out and hide 5-star caches so their friends can claim it to satisfy your requirements?

Actually in general I believe it's a Groundspeak rule - Not ours - We're actually quite flexible about that portion. The view, from my understanding, is in no way can we encourage people to place caches just to meet a requirement to get a cache as it could lead to poorly maintained caches and some other issues.

Our first idea was to place a challenge cache where you had to hide a cache that filled the difficulty/terrain grid and now understand why that was turned down. (not going to go there in any discussion ), and we had to think again.. On the 5 we are very flexible, even if it was placed after ours as long as it required effort to obtain we'd allow it. That's also why we're ok with 4.5's or something that isn't quite that as we have had 4.5 caches that we had to spend an hour 4x4ing into and a 7 hour hike, and another where there was a 3 hour 4x4 road and then a 5 hour hike.. lok those were a 4.5 and a 4 for terrain..

there's this one, and this one.

i think it'd be fun to have one where you can trade finds with another cacher to complete, but that'd be a nightmare to administer. the idea is that if i have two finds in one town i could give one to you, but i can't give it twice. once it's given, i don't have the spare in my inventory anymore.

We have the New Mexico Challenge. You need to find all 33 County Caches and take your picture for proof to comlpete the challenge. Once you complete the challenge you get a medalion!! It sounds easy enough but all 33 Counties in NM are HUGE counties, and the caches are really spread apart. I think I still have 15 counties to find before I complete the challenge and I've been at it for well over a year. The first cacher to complete the challenge did it in 7 days, but they only went after the 33 county caches, skipping all other caches they drove by!!

JEFF

Here's the link to see all the counties: All 33 County Caches

Here's the cache I placed for The New Mexico Challenge: Bernallilo County Cache

I want to do one of these but maybe someone can answer this, the cache would not be at the listed coords? the cacher emails you his completion you verify and send him the coords?? :laughing:

It would depend - For ours here in BC the cache is where it's stated. I know quite often with Challenge Caches that we have seen that is the case - but you quite often have to e-mail the owner prior to claiming a find.

Ours is in our backyard as the Swag for the FTF is going to be a bit pricy - but after that it will be put in a new happy home. But for the rest they will be where they are listed at.. More fun that way.. he he

Our next one will be a mountain top to mountain top multi - and will be placing the coordinates on metal tags at each of the locations in plain sight - and no hiking - all driving will just take a bit of effort - figure it will be a summer time goal - but first we have to get to the tops and the snow gone.. :blink:

so someone could find it without completing the challenge but you would have to delete the log if they dont meet the requirements, I want to put some cool stuff in it but we've had a problem of people taking TBs and coins out of caches so I think for at least the first few finders Ill have themm send me there info. I think I can have some fun with this.

Actually in general I believe it's a Groundspeak rule - Not ours - We're actually quite flexible about that portion. The view, from my understanding, is in no way can we encourage people to place caches just to meet a requirement to get a cache as it could lead to poorly maintained caches and some other issues.

Our first idea was to place a challenge cache where you had to hide a cache that filled the difficulty/terrain grid and now understand why that was turned down. (not going to go there in any discussion ), and we had to think again...

Thanks for that explanation. I had no idea that the reason why all those challenge caches had the "caches must have been placed before this one to count" rule. Yet another "unwritten rule" where the only way to find out about it is to break it and be told by a reviewer. I can understand the reasoning, I just wish they would put rules like this in writing. Or is it in writing and I just don't know where to find it?

What really makes it hard are the "before and after" rules... the cache must have been placed before the publication of the challenge cache, but the find must be made after publication. That rule seriously penalizes experienced cachers because they have to search far and wide for qualifying finds. I've had people drive a considerable distance to find one of my caches that starts with an "X"... because a specific alphabet challenge has the "before and after" rule and they'd already found all the local caches.