Flash Mob Event?

KJcachers

Yes, flash mobs have gone commercial; flash mobbing has been adapted by Madison Avenue execs, and thus all is lost -- flash mobbing is now sooo out!

Excuse me while I Twitter, Brighkite, Plurk, Jaiku, Pixelpile and Facebook all my followers to advise them that flash mobs are soo nineties and have gone commercial.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Yes, flash mobs have gone commercial; flash mobbing has been adapted by Madison Avenue execs, and thus all is lost -- flash mobbing is now sooo out!

Excuse me while I Twitter, Brighkite, Plurk, Jaiku, Pixelpile and Facebook all my followers to advise them that flash mobs are soo nineties and have gone commercial.

Please update your MySpace page and Yahoo mail list when U R done. KTHXBYE

Please update your MySpace page and Yahoo mail list when U R done. KTHXBYE

HOT911! Eleventy!!! ZOMG!

I'm missing the geocaching relevance...

Do you know what a flashmob event is? Think of this commercial but instead of dancing everybody signed a logbook at the same time and disolved back into the crowd. get it now? :P

OMG Yeah, I get it. I know what a flash mob is.

Unless there was another flash mob in this video where a bunch of people were signing a logbook and I missed it because of all the dancing, this thread belongs in Off-Topic.

Otherwise, let's share recipes because, hey, geocachers have to eat... so it's relevant, too!

I think more to the geocaching point would be to show that the video shows what a real flash mob event is suppose to be. I don't think geocaching ones hit it at all and those that do them could learn from that video how they are actually suppose to be done. All I hear are that you meet somewhere, pass out some candy, sign a logbook, take a picture and disperse. To me, that isn't a flash mob event. What I see in that video is more of what I would expect to see. A few have tried something "wacky", but only a very few.

Do you know what a flashmob event is? Think of this commercial but instead of dancing everybody signed a logbook at the same time and disolved back into the crowd. get it now? :P

Unless there was another flash mob in this video where a bunch of people were signing a logbook and I missed it because of all the dancing, this thread belongs in Off-Topic.

Otherwise, let's share recipes because, hey, geocachers have to eat... so it's relevant, too!

The relavence of Flash Mobs to geocaching are Podcachers twice yearly WWFM events.

As I think it's a great idea, from what I have seen poorly executed by many.

As the mobs so far have been more about a 15 minute event, rather than skew the perspective of muggles.

And before anyone says, why don't I org one. I have offered my services to my local gc group and am awaiting their response as to what they want to do.

I attended a flash mob in Brevard County that was a hoot. Everybody came armed with protest type signs saying "Free Gas" and/or "Eat Beans", which they kept in stealth mode. At a prescribed time, a whistle blew and we converged along the side of a busy thoroughfare, waving furiously. A few minutes later, another whistle dispersed the crowd, and the majority of us wandered over to Hooters for grub.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Do you know what a flashmob event is? Think of this commercial but instead of dancing everybody signed a logbook at the same time and disolved back into the crowd. get it now? :D

Mtn-Mn hit it on the head. This is a classic example of what a geocaching flash mob could look like. So yes it does have geocaching relavance.

BTW,What's wrong with just appearing out of no where at a given time, dropping a note in a log bucket, gathering for a group photo and moving on just as quickly? Sounds dumb and fun at the same time! :D

Someone in Virginia is planning a flash mob event wedding this spring so that ought to be fun too!

Edited by KJcachers
BTW,What's wrong with just appearing out of no where at a given time, dropping a note in a log bucket, gathering for a group photo and moving on just as quickly? Sounds dumb and fun at the same time! :D

But, it doesn't sound like what a flash mob event really is. The video in the first post shows observers stopped and looking over the top level at the people below. The participants are well rehearsed. It starts with a few, and over time people throughout the crowd on the floor join in randomly, but are in time with the dance. People stop and stare, which is the point of the flash mob event. No one is going to stop and stare at a group signing a logbook and taking a picture. Maybe if you did something in the same way as what Clan Riffster describes below...

I attended a flash mob in Brevard County that was a hoot. Everybody came armed with protest type signs saying "Free Gas" and/or "Eat Beans", which they kept in stealth mode. At a prescribed time, a whistle blew and we converged along the side of a busy thoroughfare, waving furiously. A few minutes later, another whistle dispersed the crowd, and the majority of us wandered over to Hooters for grub.

That's about the best one I have heard of yet from geocachers. There have been a couple of others I've heard of (I think some people did a "freeze in place" thing), but just doing the same old pass out candy, sign a log and take a picture and disperse has been pretty much done over and over.

Just my opinion.

Would a Conga Line work?

Hmmm.... I like! My personal interpretation of a flash mob is a gathering so bizarre, and so sudden, that those not in the know, (I.e. muggles), should be left in a state of perpetual wonder, thinking, "What the heck was that?" For maximum effect you could direct the attendees to station themselves casually around the food court of a mall. One person with a boom box begins the Congo line, dancing around the perimeter. As she/he passes each attendee, they go from clueless observer to active participant, joining in the dance line. Just after the last attendee joins in, the lead dancer shuts off the boom box and everybody wanders off aimlessly.

Dude that is AWESOME!!!

Would a Conga Line work?

Hmmm.... I like! My personal interpretation of a flash mob is a gathering so bizarre, and so sudden, that those not in the know, (I.e. muggles), should be left in a state of perpetual wonder, thinking, "What the heck was that?" For maximum effect you could direct the attendees to station themselves casually around the food court of a mall. One person with a boom box begins the Congo line, dancing around the perimeter. As she/he passes each attendee, they go from clueless observer to active participant, joining in the dance line. Just after the last attendee joins in, the lead dancer shuts off the boom box and everybody wanders off aimlessly.

You both so get it.

Organizing geocachers is probably like herding cats.

Hmm... When are the Flash Mob Events this year? Would a Conga Line work? Everyone hide behind a tree. when he Conga Line comes by, join the end, and drop your signed slip in the log box. Then disperse. Hmm...

Did someone say Conga?!?!

4305e947-4558-44f5-8b21-3188076c9fc4.jpg

And that's right in the heart of Newport.

I have a kewl idea for next November's WWFM event in Newport. Stay tuned....

For more cool ideas, visit Improv Everywhere. The Food Court Musical and Suicide Jumper are great.

OK, geocache flash mob:

Create a multi-stage geocache. At the first stage is a solar powered FM transmitter (I am planning on using this combined with this) set to transmit once a month? once a year? with the offset for stage two. As long as you make sure the transmitter doesn't get found accidentally, everyone who wanted the cache would have to meet at the prescribed time.