Cache ratings

inperfected

One thing that I regularly do is go to caches that just are not good hides and aren't in nice areas... I'd much prefer to go to good ones - particularly when away from home! Also quite a few people ask about good caches in "this or that" area.

One possibility to make it easier for this is to have cache ratings when someone lists it as found. I'd expect a 1-5 star rating would work, and it means that the good hides would get recognition.

Anyone interested?

This is a very often discussed topic.

While many want some kind of rating - we ALL want such rating to be fair and honest. Many schemes have been proposed many flaws have been pointed out. (you might like caches that I hate, change in cache rating over time etc...)

The 2 proposals I like best are allowing all PM users to put up to 5% of thier finds on a "favorites" list and then allowing users to see how many lists a particular cache was on. The other proposal is a sort of "if you liked this cache you might also like to vist xxxxx nearby". A netflix style rating.

The last is a cool idea I think. The "If you liked this you might like ____". It's not really a rating but it points you in the right direction.

Something similar, and this might be impossible but something for PMs where you rate caches for yourself and the system scales the your ratings compared to other PM users. Basically, if you rate a cache favorably it will look at other cachers that rated that cache favorably and compiles a list of caches based on others that like the same caches you like.

Something like Amazon.com's "Other people who bought this book also bought ...."

Again, it might be too intensive and impossible. It also might be impractical because a lot of people don't care and just go for caches that are close to them and will go to a cache just because it's within 30miles of their home and they're running out of caches to go to.

I see something like StarBrand was talking about (on a limited basis) already in place. Many PMs have a bookmark list of favorite caches. All cache pages will have a box on the right side of the page to indicate how many bookmark lists they are on; really outstanding caches will be bookmarked by many more people than average ones.

This is a very often discussed topic.

While many want some kind of rating - we ALL want such rating to be fair and honest. Many schemes have been proposed many flaws have been pointed out. (you might like caches that I hate, change in cache rating over time etc...)

The 2 proposals I like best are allowing all PM users to put up to 5% of thier finds on a "favorites" list and then allowing users to see how many lists a particular cache was on. The other proposal is a sort of "if you liked this cache you might also like to vist xxxxx nearby". A netflix style rating.

I feel the OP's pain. I like both of those. I heard that they were going to launch an awards type system but maybe that got shot down...

I have from time to time been totally in favor of a rating system. But, the more I think about it and see the variation in what people like, I feel that if I read the cache page and a couple logs I can get a better picture than a 3.5 or a 2.6 or whatever star cache rating will give me.

One thing that I regularly do is go to caches that just are not good hides and aren't in nice areas... I'd much prefer to go to good ones - particularly when away from home! Also quite a few people ask about good caches in "this or that" area.

One possibility to make it easier for this is to have cache ratings when someone lists it as found. I'd expect a 1-5 star rating would work, and it means that the good hides would get recognition.

Anyone interested?

It's only been 3 weeks. This subject is supposed to only get posted every 4 weeks. Please check the schedule next time!

Cache Ratings - every 4 weeks

Who's Watching My Cache - every 3 weeks

Micros Should Be A Cache Type - every 6 weeks

Bring Back Virtual Caches - every 2 weeks

I Want The Whole World In A Pocket Query - every 8 weeks

What's the point of scheduling subjects that get posted over and over again, if we're not going to stick to it?

Edited by Prime Suspect

Anyone interested?

It's only been 3 weeks. This subject is supposed to only get posted every 4 weeks. Please check the schedule next time!

What's the point of scheduling subjects that get posted over and over again, if we're not going to stick to it?

Time flies... :D:angry:

I'd much prefer to go to good ones - particularly when away from home!

In the meantime you can look for a local active cacher in that area, send them an email explaining your travel situation and the kind of caches you would like to find. I have always received a positive reply when doing this

Most people are quite happy that you asked for their advice on caches to look for and will provide you plenty of choices.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Tell me about it. I have a great line to post for a micro bash thread and the topic is way over due! :D

:angry: I'm waiting for the next "Nanos should have their own size category" discussion.

Anyone interested?

I Want The Whole World In A Pocket Query - every 8 weeks

You forgot:

How do I change my user name - every 0.7 weeks

Night caches should be thier own type - every 4 weeks

[Time flies... :D:angry:

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

The problem with 'any bookmark list', is that my NJ DeLorme Bookmark list is out there. Not to say that I didn't enjoy a lot of them, but most of them would not make my top 10% List.

My Top Ten % List? Is that One for each Ten finds? Ten for each Hundred? Or just a bookmark for exceptional caches? What about the archived ones? My Monkey will always be in my Top Ten!

TPTB would have to set up a special category. And I don't see them doing that.

I am trying the idea of highlighting good caches idea at my new webstie CacheGuide.Com. I too thought of a rating system, but that turns out to be unfair to way too many caches.

The community on my site is going to come up with a way to highlight great caches, either in as awards system. It will be broken down so that as many people as possible get to try the award of the month cache. ie some scattered around the country, so that there should also be a cache of the month in Ohio as well as Washington state. That way people who have not found it yet, have a real chance to go out and try it after the award.

The site is up and running and while I know others have tried and failed, I am seriously giving it a go. Stop by and help get the ball rolling.

Two comments:

1. I think a 5 star rating system with half stars would be worth a try - after a number of finds, the rating would level out and give people an idea of whether it was worth it or not. Would there be issues? Sure, there always will be - but I would find it useful.

2. I find it entertaining that topics are brought up in new posts over and over again and people complain - and then I find it even more entertaining when people complain about how someone brought to life and old, ancient thread. Would we rather people start a new topic about star-ratings or bring up the oldest of the previous ones.