My Cache wan't published...please HELP!

Calvin, thank you for trying to create a new cache. Without new caches to find, this game would stagnate kwickly. I'm glad that you are looking harder at the guidelines, as they are what keeps this game mostly on an even keel. I hope you won't include me in the "must've voted for McCain" camp, (as the person I voted for didn't win even one electoral vote), but I have one more piece of advice: You mentioned a pro-Obama sticker on the actual cache. Ask your reviewer if they are OK with that. The reason I bring this up, is if I saw a cache with "I love Obama (McCain/Barr/Nader/Jesus/Mohamed/etc) " stickers on it, I would perceive that as an agenda and report it with an SBA. If you cover your tracks ahead of time, getting the approval of your reviewer for such blatant political pandering, you won't need to worry about any incoming logs.

Good luck!

-Sean

thanks for your reply Jim...I think I will move it. But isn't the rule just a guideline? Cache Saturation

"The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 metres) of another cache may not be published on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline"

The guideline can also go the other way. You could place 5 caches 650 feet apart and have them denied for being "too close." I've seen special circumstances where caches were allowed to be closer than 528 feet (one is on the top of a mountain, the other on the valley floor 1500' below), and I've seen them get denied when they're further apart than 528 feet too.

It's a guideline in that the reviewer has some discretion, but normally caches closer than 528 feet aren't allowed.

Do you think a hundred feet too close to another cache is justification for my cache not getting published? The truth is I think the reviewer didn't like my political views...This cache was supposed to be a tribute to Obama. But the reviewer told me " Thanks for the history lesson but this cache seems to have a political agenda" You can't see it now but I had a little back round of Obama. And he calls this an agenda. The guy is already in office, what agenda could I have...to be frank, i think this guy is a McCaine supporter....So in an effort to appease him I took that bit out....But now he's being a stickler about 100 feet. I understand the rules about over saturating an area with Caches, but this area only has a few caches around...Please let me know what you think. And if you have any tips to help me get this published I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Cache Saturation from Geocaching.com

"The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 metres) of another cache may not be published on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...85-c26dcf6499ab

1) At this time, your cache does not appear to meet the guidelines because it is too close to another cache. Caches should not be placed within 0.1 mile (528 feet) of existing caches, unless there is some sort of natural barrier between the two locations.

Guidelines for geocaches can be viewed at the following link: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sat

Your cache is only 419 feet from this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC15C9

Please re-locate this cache so it conforms with the guidelines for placement. Once you have moved it, just update this same cache page to reflect the new coordinates and description, then click on the ''click to enable'' link at the top of the cache page to put the cache back onto the reviewer queue.

2) Thanks for the history lesson but this cache seems to have a political agenda even though you didn't mean it to be, but put yourself on the other side. This is supposed to be a light and fun activity and not something to bring politics or religion into.

Just move the stupid cache

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Just move the stupid cache
Good advice!

:laughing:

Oh, wait, he already took that advice back in the 3rd post...

thanks for your reply Jim...I think I will move it.
My best advice: Read a thread before responding to it. Not only does it allow me to see what advice has been given already, but it lets me have a chuckle when I find someone who hasn't. :laughing:

Most people familiar with the guidelines would not object to the outcome here: move the cache and tone it down. However, it is not as cut-and-dried as many of the posters make it sound. The guidelines can be quite subjective and difficult to understand, even for an old-timer like myself.

Take, for example, "political agenda." What does that mean? How do you decide when a cache is simply related to an interesting topic or person and when is it pushing an agenda? I rue the day when we become so PC that only bland caches are published.

I had a cache approved that was a tribute to a candidate for president (albeit a dead one) although it did not promote a point of view. I had another cache approved that was a puzzle about how the two major parties choose their presidential candidates. By all accounts people had fun doing the caches and learned something, yet both were "political" and had an "agenda" of education.

When researching both these caches I found many others that were clearly political in subject matter. Whether or not they had an agenda is a judgement call. We rely on the judgement of volunteer reviewers which, although inconsistent, generally works well for us.

Compared to "political agenda," the 528-foot guideline seems specific but even it requires judgement. I have seen differences in how this guideline is applied, and in a few cases it even appears that the reviewer forgot to check. I bet this guideline trips up would-be cache placers more than any other. It is especially frustrating in areas where there are puzzle and multi-caches. The game has become quite complicated and I don't think the cache submittal process has kept up with it.

As an aside, I have an active puzzle cache based on the 528-foot guideline. It is precisely that distance from two other caches but the finder has to deduce where among the several choices. Funny how some experienced cachers don't seem to understand the concept.

I just wanted to say congratulations to Drew and Calvin on the new cache. The location looks like a good one and your geocache is sure to be enjoyed by many.

I like the placement of the new geocache much better than your first proposed location, it adds to the caching landscape very nicely in it's new place, no proximity issues and I see there have already been finders and even a comment on the view.

Calvin will probably enjoy the walks to check the cache as well!

It is too bad it wasn't totally painless but in time you will appreciate the memory of doing the extra work and hopefully getting the extra rewards of great comments from happy geocachers.

So here's to you Drew (you too Calvin). :D

A bit off the orignal topic, but related in terms of learning.

On your cache page it says:

"There is a very cool Geo Coin inside as well. Please only take for trade of another coin or TB. Thanks."

This is typically frowned upon and looked at as a TB/Geocoin prison.

TBs and Geocoins are menat to be moved and are not part of the "trade even" philosophy.

The owners of said items expect their items to be moved along without resrtictions of having to trade for it since you can't keep it.

To ask somebody to trade for something that isn't yours isn't fair.

I hope you see this as educational and not an attack.

Congrats on getting published!

Do you think a hundred feet too close to another cache is justification for my cache not getting published? ...

Persoanlly I think 100' is fine. You won't confuse your cache for the other. However that's not the guideline. The guideline is 528' unless there is something to justify it like a cliff that has a long hike to get around and a cache on top or the bottom. or one side of a river and the other.

I had a cache that was about 300' from another. The spot I used was up a small cliff. 528' from the other cache was a parking lot. Because I placed my cache in the better spot ignoring the 528' rule and because my case wasn't enough (I was complimented on making a good case but they could not justify the 300') I ended up listing that cache on another site. I don't think it's ever been found.

...Please re-locate this cache so it conforms with the guidelines for placement....

Keep in mind the guidlines are for listing. Not so much placment. If your location is "The spot" why in the heck would you ever choose a crappier spot for the cache for the sake of getting it listed?

I even placed a cache to prove the point. One cache was alongside a busy road about 15' off the road at the base of a small basalt cliff. The spot does have some merit but the road detracts. 528' away is the animal shelter. Behind it in the sage brush near the dumpster was another cache. Again near that basalt cliff, but the shelter took away from it. In the middle though was a spot in the park sheltered by trees. You could climb up a crack in the cliff and then were in a location hidden from the road and from the park where you could kick back, sign the log, and sip a cold one. That's where I put my cache. I didnt' even try to get it listed here. One finder. They don't even know what they are missing when GC.com exclusive folks look for the other two.

Now if you do have another great spot that does meet the 528' rule for listing...no problem. There is thousands of square miles of backcountry in my state that looks about like all the rest. Moving a cache is no big deal in most of it.