Trache Caches Revisited

Maybe you should read my posts too then? I completely understood sbell and have commented as such.

When putting the "fake trash" out, what would make the "fake trash" any different than the real trash is my question. If the container is already there, placing "fake trash" isn't doing any better than placing real trash as camo.

So, my question was, how do you "fake" trash?

Maybe you should read my posts too then? I completely understood sbell and have commented as such.

When putting the "fake trash" out, what would make the "fake trash" any different than the real trash is my question. If the container is already there, placing "fake trash" isn't doing any better than placing real trash as camo.

If the container itself is made to look like what would normally be considered trash- if the camo is intrinsically incorporated into the container and that camo makes it look like a discarded object then that container is "fake" trash. It is not really a discarded object, it's status as such is untrue and "fake".

EDIT: Much in the same way as there are "fake" sprinkler head caches. While it is still a "real" sprinkler head it is not functional in the conventional sense and is in effect "fake".

Edited by Castle Mischief
So when you said, "Or did I read it wrong when sbell posted it?", is that commenting that you completely understood Sbell?

When putting the "fake trash" out, what would make the "fake trash" any different than the real trash is my question.
The same as when you put an ammo can in the woods, it's not trash. It's a cache container. A fake piece of chewing gum, or a fake chapstick tube (to use the examples in the original post that we've tried to get you to read), are containers that the person put in place to hold a log book, and this container wasn't already there. Other trash in the area makes it harder to realize what the cache is the same way that all the rocks around a fake rock make the cache hard to spot.

If the container is already there, placing "fake trash" isn't doing any better than placing real trash as camo.
But Sbell was saying that if he'd accidentally picked up the cache, he would feel okay putting it back if it were a fake container, like the kind mentioned in the original post, and not so much if it were trash that was just trash.

Once again, go read post #1. It discusses buying some fake chapstick tubes and very pricey fake chewed gum. Put in log book, place it somewhere in public, and suddenly you have fake trash.

Geocaches all over the world use containers that are designed to look like something else. I have a couple of fake rocks that you'd never know were not actual rocks until you picked them up. People have fake tree limbs made out of plastic tubes covered with bark. There are fake electrical panels make from real electrical panels without the dangerous insides that aren't connected to power. There are fake sprinkler heads, fake stumps, fake bird houses, fake pine cones, fake faucets, fake snakes, fake poo, fake almost anything you can think of.

Look at the thread called "Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)" and you'll see plenty of examples of fake caches, including fake trash like the kind mentioned in the original post of this thread.

GUYS...stop thinking I don't understand and READ what has been written.

Starting from the top:

Sbell said he'd replace the container...right (well, actually, someone else did, RK maybe??, but sbell just agreed to that part)

Sbell then said he'd NOT replace the real trash, rather, he'd replace it with "fake trash"...right??

So, if sbell already has the real container in place and starts throwing "fake trash" about, how would that fake trash be any different than real trash. It's being used ONLY for camo of the real container...right??

I went on to say I could understand if he was throwing out a bunch of decoys, but again, wouldn't the decoys be nothing more than trash? (yes, even if fake trash).

Mushtang, I wrote the OP, I understand what the topic is about!!

Starting from the top:

Sbell said he'd replace the container...right (well, actually, someone else did, RK maybe??, but sbell just agreed to that part)

Sbell then said he'd NOT replace the real trash, rather, he'd replace it with "fake trash"...right??

So, if sbell already has the real container in place and starts throwing "fake trash" about, how would that fake trash be any different than real trash. It's being used ONLY for camo of the real container...right??

I went on to say I could understand if he was throwing out a bunch of decoys, but again, wouldn't the decoys be nothing more than trash? (yes, even if fake trash).

I'll try one more time, and I'll have to make it as simple as possible.

1) CR went into the woods one day to look for a cache. He didn't find it, but picked up a bunch of trash while he was there.

2) Among the trash that CR picked up was a metal cabinet (or whatever) that sat in the back of his truck while they looked for the cache some more.

3) About 45 minutes later, CR saw that the cache was a magnetic container stuck to the metal cabinet. The metal cabinet was trash, the magnetic container was the cache.

4) Recently, CR tells this story in this thread, mentioning that he wasn't willing to put the real trash back just so the cache would have a place to hide.

5) Sbell reads the story and states that if the cache was a fake container (as are the examples in the original post), and not attached to real trash, he'd be willing to replace it, had he had been in the situation CR was in.

6) Roddy reads approximately half this story and can't understand why Sbell would want to put out a lot of real trash in order to cammo a cache hide, which Sbell never said he'd want to do.

7) Mushtang tries to explain to Roddy, but fails miserably.

8) Mushtang stops trying.

Starting from the top:

I'll try one more time, and I'll have to make it as simple as possible.

1) CR went into the woods one day to look for a cache. He didn't find it, but picked up a bunch of trash while he was there.

2) Among the trash that CR picked up was a metal cabinet (or whatever) that sat in the back of his truck while they looked for the cache some more.

3) About 45 minutes later, CR saw that the cache was a magnetic container stuck to the metal cabinet. The metal cabinet was trash, the magnetic container was the cache.

4) Recently, CR tells this story in this thread, mentioning that he wasn't willing to put the real trash back just so the cache would have a place to hide.

5) Sbell reads the story and states that if the cache was a fake container (as are the examples in the original post), and not attached to real trash, he'd be willing to replace it, had he had been in the situation CR was in.

6) Roddy reads approximately half this story and can't understand why Sbell would want to put out a lot of real trash in order to cammo a cache hide, which Sbell never said he'd want to do.

7) Mushtang tries to explain to Roddy, but fails miserably.

8) Mushtang stops trying.

It is YOU who cannot comprehend what is being written. Stop thinking you're right for a second and READ will you?? No need to explain to me, I am fully in this conversation, I think it's you that needs it explained to!

What's funniest, you type the exact same thing I said and yet, you keep thinking I'm wrong??

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Starting from the top:

You are misunderstanding my post, I think. In order to understand my post correctly, substitute the phrase 'put back' for 'replace'.

I'm not sure that I would replace put back actual litter for the cache's benefit. I would likely replace put back 'fake' litter.

Clan Riffster's issue was that the cache was magnetically attached to a piece of junk that he had removed while CITOing. He later realized that he had removed the cache. He then put back (replaced) the piece of junk.

Starting from the top:

You are misunderstanding my post, I think. In order to understand my post correctly, substitute the phrase 'put back' for 'replace'.

I'm not sure that I would replace put back actual litter for the cache's benefit. I would likely replace put back 'fake' litter.

Clan Riffster's issue was that the cache was magnetically attached to a piece of junk that he had removed while CITOing. He later realized that he had removed the cache. He then put back (replaced) the piece of junk.

Right, I am with you, I have been with you all along! You then said you'd replace put back fake trash instead of throwing all the real trash back. So, if you already put the container back (as CR did said he did do), what would you use for the real trash that CR was putting back??

CR said he replaced the trash (along with the one object that had the magnetic container attached), since leaving the one piece there alone would make the find too obvious...I assumed you were speaking of this real trash when you said you'd not replace real trash, you'd put back fake trash. I then asked my question.

(Deleted by moderator... profanity in a foreign language is still profanity)

I was merely posing two similar hypotheticals and explaining how I would react to them.

In the first scenario:

I'm not sure that I would replace put back actual litter for the cache's benefit.
If I found a cache hiding under a piece of trash, I might CITO the trash.

In the second scenario:

I would likely replace put back 'fake' litter.
If the cache container was desguised to look like trash, I would not CITO the cache. Edited by mtn-man

I was merely posting two hypotheticals that differ enough that I would react differently to them.

In the first scenario:

I'm not sure that I would replace put back actual litter for the cache's benefit.
If I found a cache hiding under a piece of trash, I might CITO the trash.

In the second scenario:

I would likely replace put back 'fake' litter.
If the cache container was desguised to look like trash, I would not CITO the cache.

I agree with both, just thought that's what you had said in the first place!! :anicute:

In the case of the container disguised as the pop can I had once found, I did the same thing. I picked up all the trash I could handle (which was less than half of what was there) and picked the can up in the process. We then noticed the mistake and I replaced the container, but not the trash!!

I'd have picked up much more, but we'd filled the Jeep full and still had a huge pile left!

CR said he replaced the trash (along with the one object that had the magnetic container attached), since leaving the one piece there alone would make the find too obvious

If it helps, I'll clarify. The only trash I replaced was the metal cart holding the blinkie. The 6 or 7 bags of beer bottles/cans went home with me.

Based on my past knowledge of this area, I'm assuming that more beer cans/bottles will propagate. When the cache is no more, I will CITO the offending cart, as well as any other trash that has been left there since my last visit.

I've edited your post sbell. Come on now. While I don't speak French, I still know a few words.

:lol:

We need a list of words that we aren't allowed to use.

All the ones that the "dadgum" program doesn't catch... :cry:

Heh. If I list them, MissJenn will throw an admin brick at me. :D

You are still posting, so at least I didn't throw one at you! :rolleyes:

What TrailGators said pretty much (in any language), and now back to the topic...

CR said he replaced the trash (along with the one object that had the magnetic container attached), since leaving the one piece there alone would make the find too obvious

If it helps, I'll clarify. The only trash I replaced was the metal cart holding the blinkie. The 6 or 7 bags of beer bottles/cans went home with me.

Based on my past knowledge of this area, I'm assuming that more beer cans/bottles will propagate. When the cache is no more, I will CITO the offending cart, as well as any other trash that has been left there since my last visit.

You're a good man!

crapaud.
Removing -aud and translating to French is basically what I posted.

Anyway, how about that fake trash?

Many years ago, there were threads discussing the use of those fake shaving cream cans and the like for caches. Does anyone know how these containers held up in the wild?

FM9MFJ8Y1ZEWP86J17.MEDIUM.jpg

Edited by sbell111
crapaud.

Many years ago, there were threads discussing the use of those fake shaving cream cans and the like for caches. Does anyone know how these containers held up in the wild?

I wondered about those myself. Haven't seen them around for years, but I assume they still make them?

Edited by Rockin Roddy

May sound gross but If I saw one of those I'd be like HEY FREE SOUP! And if it got weighted properly then I wouldn't know what it was till I destroyed it trying to eat.

Well scratch some of that for that particular can, turkey soup is nastier than my most disgusting anti-waste method.

And if it got weighted properly then I wouldn't know what it was till I destroyed it trying to feed it to my cat.

crapaud.

:DJanuary 15 by KBI (538 found)

Took: Thick stack of twenties

Left: used golf ball

Cool container. TFTC!

crapaud.

:rolleyes:January 15 by KBI (538 found)

Took: Thick stack of twenties

Left: used golf ball

Cool container. TFTC!

:)January 15 by Bassanio (176 found)

Took: used golf ball

Left: Thicker stack of $100's

I can't believe people give these golf balls away!

TFTC!

Bruce