Trache Caches Revisited

My opinion, I like the used gum cache when I first saw it. I have found a dog poop cache and thought it was clever. I have also found a old chapstick tube, it wasn't gross. Just like any other cache, it's easy to just ignore the ones you don't like. Plenty of others.

My opinion on this thread, if some of you are soo sensitive to other's comments, why do you bother posting? Surely you know not everyone will agree with you.

My opinion, I like the used gum cache when I first saw it. I have found a dog poop cache and thought it was clever. I have also found a old chapstick tube, it wasn't gross. Just like any other cache, it's easy to just ignore the ones you don't like. Plenty of others.

My opinion on this thread, if some of you are soo sensitive to other's comments, why do you bother posting? Surely you know not everyone will agree with you.

I love it when I'm told to ignore something if I don't like it...of course this is an option, and one I will do. However, are you now saying we can't discuss it?

It's not a question about sensitivity, it's about how people twist words to make it look like a comment is something it isn't. It's not this thread alone which this happens to, and if it happens to you, you'll see why it's so aggravating! Threads totally derail simply from comments which falsely make it appear an opinion is something it isn't!

I never asked everyone to agree, I simply ask that my words not be made into something they aren't! Simple.

You first plea that I let YOU decide...where did anyone say you couldn't? This leads me to believe you see something in these posts that isn't there!

Your original post was very clearly in favor of people using something other than fake chapsticks and fake chewing gum as camouflage for caches you might hunt. You made it clear that you would never place such a cache yourself, specifically out of concern for the delicate sensibilities of your fellow cachers.

I posted that I do not share you opinion; that I prefer the hider place the cache anyway and let seekers decide for themselves.

Did I misunderstand that point about your post? If so, then please clarify.

Not one person here is asking for change be made by TPTB. Is my opinion somehow threatening to you? Do you see my opinion as the starting point for asking for a ban?

For the second time: No.

I'm fine with Fizzy's comment, he's making a point as to his OPINION! Not making it look like someone is asking for mandatory ANYTHING!

Read my post again.

If you do, you’ll see that the word 'mandatory' was used ironically. Same as the way you used "fake used hypo needles" and "fake used condoms" to make your point. I was responding to your slippery-slope suggestion. When I said "mandatory" I was merely following your lead.

In other words: I am fully aware that nobody here has actually proposed the use of fake used hypo needles and fake used condoms as cache camouflage. To suggest you said otherwise would be taking your words out of context, no?

So who is doing the word-twisting? You have plainly taken MY words out of context. Read my post again.

So, do you have an opinion or would you like to just derail this topic??

I might ask you the same question.

What happened to your recent promise not to get emotional in forum discussions? :D

To expand on your opinion, what do you find creative about this? I too have found fake poo, most of thse are easy to tell they're fake though, it doesn't take much looking to see this.

Truly, creative aside...if I thought my cache would need replaced everytime a cacher threw it away, I'd not want to waste my time! How would you make these work without giving the creative aspect away? I mean, if you hide it so it's where only a cacher would mess with it, then it's likely an obvious container, if you place it where it "fits in" how do you keep people from throwing it away??

I'm not only stuck on the "gross" aspect, I don't see how this is useful!

You first plea that I let YOU decide...where did anyone say you couldn't? This leads me to believe you see something in these posts that isn't there!

Your original post was very clearly in favor of people using something other than fake chapsticks and fake chewing gum as camouflage for caches you might hunt. You made it clear that you would never place such a cache yourself, specifically out of concern for the delicate sensibilities of your fellow cachers.

I posted that I do not share you opinion; that I prefer the hider place the cache anyway and let seekers decide for themselves.

Did I misunderstand that point about your post? If so, then please clarify.

Not one person here is asking for change be made by TPTB. Is my opinion somehow threatening to you? Do you see my opinion as the starting point for asking for a ban?

For the second time: No.

I'm fine with Fizzy's comment, he's making a point as to his OPINION! Not making it look like someone is asking for mandatory ANYTHING!

Read my post again.

If you do, you’ll see that the word 'mandatory' was used ironically. Same as the way you used "fake used hypo needles" and "fake used condoms" to make your point. I was responding to your slippery-slope suggestion. When I said "mandatory" I was merely following your lead.

In other words: I am fully aware that nobody here has actually proposed the use of fake used hypo needles and fake used condoms as cache camouflage. To suggest you said otherwise would be taking your words out of context, no?

So who is doing the word-twisting? You have plainly taken MY words out of context. Read my post again.

So, do you have an opinion or would you like to just derail this topic??

I might ask you the same question.

What happened to your recent promise not to get emotional in forum discussions? :D

If I'm mis-reading your posts, my apologies. As for emotion...if you think I'm emotional here, you're WAY off! I am asking for opinion, not asking you to analyze mine!! If I can't have the opinion of how I feel about a container, then we might as well not even have a forums! I am all for you asking me to expand on my opinion, but your use of words points it in a totally different direction!

It wasn't a "slippery-slope" suggestion at all, I asked a simple question. Where do we actually draw the line? If we're merely going for craetivity, where will the line be drawn?? I'm not twisting a single thing

Your use of mandatory implies someone is asking for something here...other than opinion!

And again, have you an opinion or would you like to continue with your analyzing of mine??

Edited by Rockin Roddy
To expand on your opinion, what do you find creative about this? I too have found fake poo, most of thse are easy to tell they're fake though, it doesn't take much looking to see this.

One of the most entertaining caches I ever found was lying in the tall grass, in plain sight, in a trash-strewn inner city vacant lot.

I had two friends along for the hunt, and it took us half an hour to locate the cache. It was an empty aluminum malt liquor tall-boy can with the base cut out and a glass peanut jar inserted as the container. AWESOMELY effective and ... clever!

I had been wasting my time searching in trees, in bushes, under rocks, etc. It was my non-caching friend who found it. I laughed out loud, and was very impressed with the quality and creativity of the camouflage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So is creativity, cleverness, entertainment ...

Truly, creative aside...if I thought my cache would need replaced everytime a cacher threw it away, I'd not want to waste my time! How would you make these work without giving the creative aspect away? I mean, if you hide it so it's where only a cacher would mess with it, then it's likely an obvious container, if you place it where it "fits in" how do you keep people from throwing it away??

Excellent point.

In the case of the above described malt liquor can, the lot was later cleaned up and the cache went missing. It was archived by the owner. But it entertained while it lasted!

It is the clever hider indeed who can design his fake-trash cache in such a way as to effectively counter the threat of cleanup.

One of the most entertaining caches I ever found was lying in the tall grass, in plain sight, in a trash-strewn inner city vacant lot.

I had two friends along for the hunt, and it took us half an hour to locate the cache. It was an empty aluminum malt liquor tall-boy can with the base cut out and a glass peanut jar inserted as the container. AWESOMELY effective and ... clever!

I had been wasting my time searching in trees, in bushes, under rocks, etc. It was my non-caching friend who found it. I laughed out loud, and was very impressed with the quality and creativity of the camouflage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So is creativity, cleverness, entertainment ...

Excellent point.

In the case of the above described malt liquor can, the lot was later cleaned up and the cache went missing. It was archived by the owner. But it entertained while it lasted!

It is the clever hider indeed who can design his fake-trash cache in such a way as to effectively counter the threat of cleanup.

Yeah, I've found similar...and then decided right there and then that my idea of caching is NOT looking at trash. I can do that anytime, caching isn't a time I'd want to spend mucking around in trash! I suppose one man's trash is...well something else to another.

I myself would rather the "wow" effect be more to the view, to the walk and to the enjoyment. I find nothing wowing about trash, I can't seem to enjoy a trash heap!! Again, my opinion and I understand others' opinions are different!

Also, if you'll note, I took exception to the $20 price tag. In no way would I spend $20 on something that's likely to be thrown away instead of being found!! The gross factor is simply one aspect I object to here!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
If I can't have the opinion of how I feel about a container, then we might as well not even have a forums!

For the third time: No one has suggested otherwise. You are obviously not reading.

It wasn't a "slippery-slope" suggestion at all, I asked a simple question. Where do we actually draw the line? If we're merely going for craetivity, where will the line be drawn??

This is a direct contradiction. You deny slippery slope, but then you describe your argument using the classic slippery slope fallacy.

Your use of mandatory implies someone is asking for something here...other than opinion!

I explained exactly what I meant by the word "mandatory." You apparently did not read that part. I also asked you to read my post again to see what was meant by the word in context. You apparently did not do that either.

I was responding in kind to your slippery slope "argument." I recommend that you don’t use the "argument" if you don’t understand how it works.

And again, have you an opinion or would you like to continue with your analyzing of mine??

It’s not okay when I discuss your opinion ... but it’s okay for you to repeatedly and completely misrepresent my opinion?

Fine. It’s your thread. I’m outta here.

If I can't have the opinion of how I feel about a container, then we might as well not even have a forums!

For the third time: No one has suggested otherwise. You are obviously not reading.

It wasn't a "slippery-slope" suggestion at all, I asked a simple question. Where do we actually draw the line? If we're merely going for craetivity, where will the line be drawn??

This is a direct contradiction. You deny slippery slope, but then you describe your argument using the classic slippery slope fallacy.

I explained exactly what I meant by the word "mandatory." You apparently did not read that part. I also asked you to read my post again to see what was meant by the word in context. You apparently did not do that either.

I was responding in kind to your slippery slope "argument." I recommend that you don’t use the "argument" if you don’t understand how it works.

It’s not okay when I discuss your opinion ... but it’s okay for you to repeatedly and completely misrepresent my opinion?

Fine. It’s your thread. I’m outta here.

THANKS!!

I feel that caches disguised as ordinary garbage are a bad idea, and in direct conflict with the concept of CITO. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. No matter what anyone says, and edits out of their post. :D
I pretty much feel the same way and will ignore caches like this. However, I can imagine some funny/clever caches using this approach that would be fun to find. I haven't found any but I can imagine them existing.
I feel that caches disguised as ordinary garbage are a bad idea, and in direct conflict with the concept of CITO. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. No matter what anyone says, and edits out of their post. :D
I pretty much feel the same way and will ignore caches like this. However, I can imagine some funny/clever caches using this approach that would be fun to find. I haven't found any but I can imagine them existing.

One I found was a pop can cut in half with the container inside. While I would give them an A for trying to be creative, it was less than impressive! The only reason we found it was because we were picking up the junk all around and noticed the can! In that case, the CITO was the reason we made the find!

One I found was a pop can cut in half with the container inside. While I would give them an A for trying to be creative, it was less than impressive! The only reason we found it was because we were picking up the junk all around and noticed the can! In that case, the CITO was the reason we made the find!

I'll see your half a can and raise you with a black plastic trash bag under a rock... :D

Yeah, I've found similar...and then decided right there and then that my idea of caching is NOT looking at trash. I can do that anytime, caching isn't a time I'd want to spend mucking around in trash! I suppose one man's trash is...well something else to another.

I myself would rather the "wow" effect be more to the view, to the walk and to the enjoyment. I find nothing wowing about trash, I can't seem to enjoy a trash heap!! Again, my opinion and I understand others' opinions are different!

Also, if you'll note, I took exception to the $20 price tag. In no way would I spend $20 on something that's likely to be thrown away instead of being found!! The gross factor is simply one aspect I object to here!

This post points to the fundamental disagreement that accounts for more than half of the long threads in the forum.

One group sees geocaching as a game where someone hides a cache someplace and posts the coordinates for others to find. There is no requirement that the location be "wow". There is no requirement that the hide be clever. Hides can be really easy to find or very difficult. Some hiders try to find hiding techniques that are original in order to fool cachers looking for the cache and not just to prevent the cache being found by a muggle. If the cache is hidden in a interesting location or makes the finder take a hike in the woods, that is just a bonus and not fundamentally part of the game.

The other group believes that the purpose of geocaching it to take people to interesting places or spend some time enjoying nature. Caches should be camouflaged only so as to keep them from being muggled. This group can't understand all the caches hidden in lampposts in parking lots. The purpose of the the cache hide is not to fool the finder or impress them with the cleverness of the hide. The purpose was to take you someplace nice. If you are being taken to a "nice" place it makes some sense to say that a cache disguise as litter is going to distract from the enjoyment of the location and may even make the cache more likely to be muggle prone. If the cache is in some location where it may last a long time disguised as trash then that is a location this group would feel is inappropriate for a cache.

The one thing I can agree with Rockin Roddy on is why would anyone pay $20 for a pre-made cache like this. It is pretty easy to disguise as cache a trash without spending that kind of money. By pointing out the weakness of this kind of hide (namely that not only geocachers doing CITO but even some muggles will go out of their way to pickup and throw away garbage) he is at least letting people know that they may just be throwing away good money on a cache that might not last very long.

Caches can become traches if the wrong type of container is used and it is not well-maintained. This is one of the sticking points that certain rangers bring up against Geocaching. There is no arguing with them.

By using the word Trache in the subject line, the OP may have confused the point. I believe the issue is caches that are disguised to look like trash. The word trache has been used by some to refer to any cache they might not like. TG is using it here to refer to caches that don't stand up to the elements and are not maintained. I think he is even taking it a bit father to refer to caches that need maintenance but the are abandoned by the cache owner. In this case, some park rangers have express concerns about having the remains of the cache removed so that it doesn't look like litter.

While writing my previous response I though about the great logs I have been getting on one of my caches. It is disguised as a pumpkin. Finders are surprise at finding this sort of container out in mountains. However the cache is just a peanut jar and the way it is put in the pumpkin it sits with the lid down. When it rains the lid sits in a puddle of water at the base of the pumpkin. Needless to say this is not very watertight. I found the cache full of water on my last maintenance visit. Not expecting this, I did not have a dry logbook or any plastic ziplock bags to use to proctect the contents. The log was in a ziplock bag but a previous finder had not sealed it. Since that visit, I have been getting logs complaining of the moldy log book, but still saying the container made them laugh. Eventually I will get out to replace the log and bring a heavy duty ziplock to protect the contents. In the meantime I guess I own a trache cache.

So, I still have gum and chapstick caches for sale if anyone is interested.....just contact me.....

:D lmao, but in all seriousness, I do

As for the explanation of why the gum cache is never trashed...it is actually quite simple, who pulls chewed gum off benches? and if someone is doing that they will easily realize that it isnt actually gum and that it is some kind of secret container, especially when they see the shiny magnet on the underside, thus making this cache more likely to be stolen than thrown away, but nevertheless neither of these occurences happen simply because there isnt a large population of people pulling gum off the bottom of benches. The end. :D

Caches can become traches if the wrong type of container is used and it is not well-maintained. This is one of the sticking points that certain rangers bring up against Geocaching. There is no arguing with them.

By using the word Trache in the subject line, the OP may have confused the point. I believe the issue is caches that are disguised to look like trash. The word trache has been used by some to refer to any cache they might not like. TG is using it here to refer to caches that don't stand up to the elements and are not maintained. I think he is even taking it a bit father to refer to caches that need maintenance but the are abandoned by the cache owner. In this case, some park rangers have express concerns about having the remains of the cache removed so that it doesn't look like litter.

While writing my previous response I though about the great logs I have been getting on one of my caches. It is disguised as a pumpkin. Finders are surprise at finding this sort of container out in mountains. However the cache is just a peanut jar and the way it is put in the pumpkin it sits with the lid down. When it rains the lid sits in a puddle of water at the base of the pumpkin. Needless to say this is not very watertight. I found the cache full of water on my last maintenance visit. Not expecting this, I did not have a dry logbook or any plastic ziplock bags to use to proctect the contents. The log was in a ziplock bag but a previous finder had not sealed it. Since that visit, I have been getting logs complaining of the moldy log book, but still saying the container made them laugh. Eventually I will get out to replace the log and bring a heavy duty ziplock to protect the contents. In the meantime I guess I own a trache cache.

You're right, I did use the term to mean caches made to look like trash! I also agree with the first post, my wow factor isn't looking at, wading through or handling trash. Must be some like this?

To the OP, you're right, not many people go around pulling gum off things, that's my point! Why aren't people pulling gum off things?? Mainly because most of us find this unappealing! Again, some might find this fun, so I'll leave them to it! Like I had said before, good job trying to be creative, please continue on and good luck!

I didn't make up the phrase trache cache, ...
'Trache cache' is just one more way that some people have chosen to insult others and pat themselves on the back at the same time. Please be more mature than those people.

I'm doing neither....why do you even say this? The caches I'm speaking of are made to look like (or are made of in the case of the chapstick) trash! They are made to be passed off as trash to non-cachers. What should they be called?

'Trache cache' is just one more way that some people have chosen to insult others and pat themselves on the back at the same time. Please be more mature than those people.

I'm doing neither....why do you even say this? The caches I'm speaking of are made to look like (or are made of in the case of the chapstick) trash! They are made to be passed off as trash to non-cachers. What should they be called?

Ummm, you might wish to reread my post. I didn't suggest that you were doing anything. If you are, then you certainly didn't care to follow the suggestion in my second sentence. That's fine, also.

I always thought the term was used to describe caches that could be mistaken by a muggle as trash (cache + trash = trache). I think there are some valid lessons to be learned with the variety I brought up. However, I guess we were only talking about the other type, so I'll quit discussing that variety.

P.S. I would not view your cache as a trache cache. I would see it as a pumpkin that needs a better way to keep the logbook dry.

Edited by TrailGators

I always thought the term was used to describe caches that could be mistaken by a muggle as trash (cache + trash = trache).

There are only 3 things that a muggle could mistake a cache as:

1. trash
  2. a bomb
  3. equipment belonging to the utility company that you shouldn't poke
    danger.jpg

I found a small cache before I knew what caching was and thought it was a secret container that kids were hiding. I was curious about it but put it back it where I found it. However, if it had looked like trash I might have CITO-ed it. I CITOed before I knew what that was too.

Edit: I'm not going to talk about #3 because the mods are sick of that subject....

Edited by TrailGators

I'd still like to know how any of these have held up in the wild.

Pure luck?? I don't know truthfully, maybe they don't and are replaced often.

The "ABC" cache we did on 2006 is still going strong. :grin:

Which one is it, I looked but couldn't find it!

A.B.C.

:ninja:

Do you have any pics you'd be willing to email me?? I'd like to check it out!!

Ummm, you might wish to reread my post. I didn't suggest that you were doing anything. If you are, then you certainly didn't care to follow the suggestion in my second sentence. That's fine, also.

I'm not and I didn't say you said I was, I was just wondering why you asked? Toz and you have pointed out that trache cache doesn't fit these containers, I assumed that was what the other topic was about (but I never visited that topic that I can recall)!

I truly am a bit curious about this, I haven't seen one of these kinds (chapstick or ABC). While I still wouldn't hide or search one out, I am curious! Although my personal opinion is that these are a bad idea, it doesn't mean others might like it, I can buy that!

I'd still like to know how any of these have held up in the wild.

Pure luck?? I don't know truthfully, maybe they don't and are replaced often.

The "ABC" cache we did on 2006 is still going strong. :P

Which one is it, I looked but couldn't find it!

A.B.C.

:grin:

Do you have any pics you'd be willing to email me?? I'd like to check it out!!

We didn't take any pictures. :ninja:

Basically, it was sculpey clay, which had been formed to look just like chewing gum, with a nano inserted inside the "wad" with the magnet end sticking out slightly. I'm guessing she used glaze over the sculpey, to make it more durable with weather.

I'm not and I didn't say you said I was, I was just wondering why you asked? Toz and you have pointed out that trache cache doesn't fit these containers, I assumed that was what the other topic was about (but I never visited that topic that I can recall)!

I truly am a bit curious about this, I haven't seen one of these kinds (chapstick or ABC). While I still wouldn't hide or search one out, I am curious! Although my personal opinion is that these are a bad idea, it doesn't mean others might like it, I can buy that!

I say this because the term was invented in the same spirit as those pearls LUM and DPM. Their only purpose was to insult others while patting themselves on the back for their 'wit'. Edited by sbell111

I say this because the term was invented in the same spirit as those pearls LUM and DPM. Their only purpose was to insult others while patting themselves on the back for their 'wit'.

Gottcha! What's DPM?

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I say this because the term was invented in the same spirit as those pearls LUM and DPM. Their only purpose was to insult others while patting themselves on the back for their 'wit'.

Gottcha! What's DPM?

A childish insult.

(PM sent.)

Edited by sbell111

...Am I alone in this thought? What are your thoughts?

Found one that would qualfiy as trash camo (urban camo?). We found the cache, thought it was trash. My kids had found spraypaint while looking for the cache and asked if they could paint the trash. I said "sure". They did, then they figured out that it was the cache. Whoops. We weren't even sure where we had found it. I had to send the owner an email.

A trash camo job runs the risk of being mistaken for trash and dealt with accordingly. Call it a job well done, and it's the risk the owner assumes when they camo it that way. I'd love to see how the authorities deal with trash that's called in as suspiciouse.

Personally I think it's both legit and questionable at the same time and needs to be treated based on the individual locations in question. At best the cache owner has to understand the risk even with a perfect placment.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Found one that would qualfiy as trash camo

One of my more memorable hunts involved what I perceived to be trash. My wife and I had been searching with 4 other cachers for a cache whose size was listed as unknown. It was deep in the Ocala National Forest, at a spot frequented by folks who apparently liked to leave their rubbish behind. I took a break in my search to do some CITO, filling up 6 trash bags with beer bottles & cans, as well as numerous other, larger items which would not fit in a bag. One of these items was a rusty metal kitchen cart. Judging by the vines growing through the rust holes in the cart, it had been there for some time. I drug the cart out, tossing in the back of my truck with all the other trash, and went back to hunting. After a while, I took another break, leaning against my tailgate. I glanced at the cart and noticed the magnetic blinkie attached to the bottom. I felt bad for two reasons: First, about 45 minutes of our groups 2 hour hunt was when the cache was in the back of my truck. (Doh!) Second, to maintain the "integrity" of the cache, I had to replace the litter, which I felt was a real eyesore.

One of my more memorable hunts involved what I perceived to be trash. My wife and I had been searching with 4 other cachers for a cache whose size was listed as unknown. It was deep in the Ocala National Forest, at a spot frequented by folks who apparently liked to leave their rubbish behind. I took a break in my search to do some CITO, filling up 6 trash bags with beer bottles & cans, as well as numerous other, larger items which would not fit in a bag. One of these items was a rusty metal kitchen cart. Judging by the vines growing through the rust holes in the cart, it had been there for some time. I drug the cart out, tossing in the back of my truck with all the other trash, and went back to hunting. After a while, I took another break, leaning against my tailgate. I glanced at the cart and noticed the magnetic blinkie attached to the bottom. I felt bad for two reasons: First, about 45 minutes of our groups 2 hour hunt was when the cache was in the back of my truck. (Doh!) Second, to maintain the "integrity" of the cache, I had to replace the litter, which I felt was a real eyesore.

I'm not sure that I would replace actual litter for the cache's benefit. I would likely replace 'fake' litter. Others will quickly disagree with me (pretty much no matter what I post).

I'm not sure that I would replace actual litter for the cache's benefit. I would likely replace 'fake' litter. Others will quickly disagree with me (pretty much no matter what I post).

Not me, I agree! But...how do you fake the trash? :anicute:

Not me, I agree! But...how do you fake the trash? :anicute:

Please see post #1.
But, if it's not the cache, isn't it just more trash??
Why wouldn't it be the cache? Did you go back and see post #1? It discusses fake chapstick caches (not trash, actual containers for log books) and fake gum (not trash, but actual containers for log books).

This is what Sbell was talking about when he mentioned "fake" litter.

There have also been coke cans and other fake trash containers mentioned in this thread.

I have found 3 magnetic legs of multi's in the woods attached to garbage that I can think of; a couple of tire rims, and one on what I think was a car frame (not a whole junk car). I've also found probably 10 regulars that used common garbage as "cover" for the cache. Disgarded pieces of sheet metal, hubcaps, and an old political sign come to mind. What does anyone think of this? Or is it off topic?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Interesting. How long have you noticed this trend? :anicute:

I'm not sure that I would replace actual litter for the cache's benefit.

I disagree!

(J/K!) :anicute:

It was an awkward moment for me. Kind of an emotional conundrum. I'm a closet tree hugger from way back, and the thought of leaving honest to Gaia trash, in an otherwise beautiful patch of woods, just so other folks could get a smiley in some game, felt wrong. Ultimately, I caved in, under the premise that when the cache gets archived, I'll be there faster than Rosie O'Donnell driving to a Ben & Jerry's free ice cream event, to finish my CITO.

Why wouldn't it be the cache? Did you go back and see post #1? It discusses fake chapstick caches (not trash, actual containers for log books) and fake gum (not trash, but actual containers for log books).

There have also been coke cans and other fake trash containers mentioned in this thread.

If the container is already out there, how do you replace the trash with fake containers unless you leave a lot of decoys out there. I can buy that, but wouldn't it be more or less just trash if it isn't the actual container?

Or did I read it wrong when sbell posted it?

If the container is already out there, how do you replace the trash with fake containers unless you leave a lot of decoys out there. I can buy that, but wouldn't it be more or less just trash if it isn't the actual container?

Or did I read it wrong when sbell posted it?

It would help if you read the post that Sbell quoted to see what he was talking about. CR took a bunch of trash during a CITO and realized later that he'd taken the cache that was attached to some trash, but didn't feel right replacing the trash just to give the cache it's home back.

Then Sbell suggested that he might not feel right replacing real trash, like CR found, but would be okay putting back 'fake' trash, like the kind mentioned in the original post.