Need help deciding

ralitaco

I am looking at buying an inexpensive gps since I am new to this sport.

I have seen on my local craigslist a

Magellan Sporttrak Pro for $60 w/ topo maps

On this board I have seen a:

Magellan 315 for $25

Garmin Etrx for $90

Garmin Legend for $45

and lots of others for over $100

Of course the $25 one seems to be the lowest cost, but

"Cheapest isn't always least expensive"

Any help sorting all this out would be great

BTW I have a tom tom that I use to get around on the highways

I even used it to find my first 3 caches, a 4th eludes me.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

I am biased to Garmin. They work hand in hand with Geocaching.com, unlike the Magellan. Garmin has great customer support unlike the Magellan. I would say any Garmin product would be a good choice. Some are better than others but to get started you really do not need one with all the bells and whilstles that some think you need. The Etrex is a great starter gps in my opinion. I know a lot of people that have started out with this unit and I have never heard anyone that does not like it. Yes, they change units eventually due to the fact they want one with more toys.

The Etrex should be somewhere around the $30-50 range used!

Cheap isn't the always way to go with a GPS, you'll likely regret it and want a new one soon after buying the cheapie!

I had an Etrex for quite awhile, bought a Magellen Explorist 500LE and loved the unit! The Magellel is a good unit, but you should know what you're getting into before acquiring one of these!

The problem with older, cheaper units is the software. You want the sirfIII or better technology as that'll get best reception! The older etrex I had (and all like it) would lose signal if a cloud went over (I may be overstating this a small bit, but...). The etrex Legend is OK, but if it's older, you'll still have signal problems!

You're going to want a unit which will connect and share info from the computer, don't forget this!

I'd personally buy the best unit I could afford! You'll thank yourself for it! Do some homework, read some reviews of different units before jumping in! Check out DeLorme, Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and maybe a few others and then go from there!!

You can buy a new DeLorme PN-20 for around $140 (great unit for the money), you can buy a new Etrex for around $100 (with good reception technology), you can buy a Magellan for comparable (but I wouldn't recommend these at this time, sorry). If I had the money and could buy one, I would be after the DeLorme PN-40 for $338...WOW!!

I started with the garmin legend, and yes i agree that if you dont want to be entering all your coords manually (unless you have other programs to do it with) the garmin would be best as it is the geocaching.com brand. The legend i think is a little better than the yellow etrex because it does have the mapping feature but i guess if you have a car GPS thats not a huge deal to you. I used my legend for my first 6 months of caching and my mom used it for the next 8 months and its still in great shape, we just sold it the other day to another set of cachers.

Hope you find the one you like!

mm_daancer

I started with the garmin legend, and yes i agree that if you dont want to be entering all your coords manually (unless you have other programs to do it with) the garmin would be best as it is the geocaching.com brand. The legend i think is a little better than the yellow etrex because it does have the mapping feature but i guess if you have a car GPS thats not a huge deal to you. I used my legend for my first 6 months of caching and my mom used it for the next 8 months and its still in great shape, we just sold it the other day to another set of cachers.

Hope you find the one you like!

mm_daancer

Nearly ANY GPS will upload the caches from the computer. In fact, most of this statement is misleading, I suggest the OP do their homework!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I suggest the OP do their homework!

rod,

I thought that's what I was doing by asking others on the forum.

I read your previous post and found it very insightful...you also pointed out that all gps don't connect w/ the computer.

I also thought MM's post was helpful. I was wondering the diff b/n the 2 models.

your last post was less than helpful.

Jim

I suggest the OP do their homework!

rod,

I thought that's what I was doing by asking others on the forum.

I read your previous post and found it very insightful...you also pointed out that all gps don't connect w/ the computer.

I also thought MM's post was helpful. I was wondering the diff b/n the 2 models.

your last post was less than helpful.

Jim

What I mean by doing your homework is go to the diffferent manufacturer websites or whatever and read about the different models. The comment about most units connecting to the computer is true, almost all units (from the etrex yellow on up) will connect to the computer and download to the unit. The statement made about manually loading is what I'm referring to. ALMOST ALL will connect and load caches, some are harder to do than others. Garmin might be the unit easiest, but they almost all will and none are all that tricky...in other words, don't buy a GPS merely because someone said it was the unit GC suggests!!

Back to the homework...you say coming in here is doing the homework, I agree...to an extent! People will only tell you about the unit THEY like! More people have Garmins than most others (many only because of perception). In order for you to know what you want, you'll have to read about the different units and options!! I don't buy brand merely to buy brand (I own a Kawasaki instead of Harley mainly because the Kaw was similar yet cost $10,000 less)...I don't believe in buying just for the name!

Personally, I wouldn't buy an etrex Legend unless I couldn't afford any other unit! The Legend and it's little brother the yellow etrex are starter units (at best). If you can afford a Legend, you can easily afford the PN-20 that I posted about above!! The Magellan Triton is available with maps for around $200! Now, these are my opinions, and as I said, I would only tell you of my likes and dislikes. I have owned both of the etrex units and I can tell you this...DO NOT buy a used older one unless you cache in an area devoid of tree, mountains, buildings, clouds etc!! The software isn't good(it used to be, but better has come out and we can now see the difference like night and day). Now, the SifIII chip installed in these units (newer) will get you great reception even inside!!

I'm sorry if my last post seemed harsh, I didn't buy into the hand entering comment and I hoped you didn't as well...do you think people with Magellans hand enter each and every coord?? If this were the case, then we'd all own Garmins...right?? :unsure: The reason I steer you away from Maggies is because they have horrid customer service! Not a problem as long as you never need them...and their units are good (I own a Maggie 500LE and love it!).

Now, back to the PN-20 and PN-40...I am more liking these than most other units these days (mainly because I expect delivery of my new PN-40 tomorrow lol). The PN-20 comes with all the maps right out of the box! Not only that, but you also can pay $30 and get unlimited access (for one year) to an array of other maps like arial views, and some I don't even know what they do!! Basically, you get all the Topo and such needed right in the box, plus have access to all the maps DeLorme has to offer (which is a LOT)!!

NO OTHER UNIT comes with the mapping software included unless it's a bundled set (and these cost more than the unit alone)...if you buy a Garmin, you'll need to buy maps if you wish to have detailed views while on the road or trails...another thing I liked about the PN-20 & 40...it'll route ON THE TRAILS as well as on the roads! Ooops, and of course the Garmin Colorado and the Oregon, but I think they are limited maps (like base)...the DeLorme will route (both on the road and on trails) right out of the box!!

You said you'd not need maps, you'd be surprised, my friend!! The maps really help on the roads as well as off!! Getting to the parking area is only half the battle, seeing a lake or stream or other blockage in the wild is helpful!!

So, again, do some more homework and see what you feel is the unit you need!! If you have questions like the difference between unit A and unit B, many here can help you, but you need to know what you want before comparing finely like this!! Not at all being rude or mean here, I am hoping this is helping!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

The Etrex should be somewhere around the $30-50 range used!

Cheap isn't the always way to go with a GPS, you'll likely regret it and want a new one soon after buying the cheapie!

I had an Etrex for quite awhile, bought a Magellen Explorist 500LE and loved the unit! The Magellel is a good unit, but you should know what you're getting into before acquiring one of these!

The problem with older, cheaper units is the software. You want the sirfIII or better technology as that'll get best reception! The older etrex I had (and all like it) would lose signal if a cloud went over (I may be overstating this a small bit, but...). The etrex Legend is OK, but if it's older, you'll still have signal problems!

You're going to want a unit which will connect and share info from the computer, don't forget this!

I'd personally buy the best unit I could afford! You'll thank yourself for it! Do some homework, read some reviews of different units before jumping in! Check out DeLorme, Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and maybe a few others and then go from there!!

You can buy a new DeLorme PN-20 for around $140 (great unit for the money), you can buy a new Etrex for around $100 (with good reception technology), you can buy a Magellan for comparable (but I wouldn't recommend these at this time, sorry). If I had the money and could buy one, I would be after the DeLorme PN-40 for $338...WOW!!

The quoted and enlarged comment is meaning that, believe it or not, not all units will hook up! Some were not made to! Not many though!!

Having just left the store yesterday...the Etrex yellow sells for about $80 new, the Legend for around $120-$140 new, The Magellan Triton 400 sells for around $200 and that's for a bundled set (maps included). Do a bit of shopping online and you'll find the price range you can work with, then choose the unit you want!!!

Can I ask...how much are you willing to spend and what exactly would you like out of the unit you buy?? If your answer to the latter is simply to point you to the cache, a NEW etrex would work just fine. If you want a little more out of it, you'll need to look into which options work best for you. Do you want to paperless cache? Do you want to plan and follow week long hiking trips?? Want to auto-route a 20 cache run...a 50 cache run?

If your answer to the first question is "unlimited"...well, go with the DeLorme PN-40 SE (only available through DeLorme) or the Garmin Oregon or 60CSx!! :unsure: Did I mention the PN-20 and the PN-40 will paperless cache just like the Colorado and Oregon will?? Wooo-hoooo!

ooops, just checked Amazon.com and see the price of the PN-20 went up to $219 now...WOW!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

The Colorado 400T is being replaced by the PN-40, the regular 1gb unit. For the price on Amazon, $407, the unit, 16gb card and map purchase card - what a deal.

Just lookede at the reviews for the PN-40 and does it look good......Gotta save some money up :unsure:

I,m still using an old Meridian Gold and the PN-40 looks like a real upgrade....but then again i guess anything would

Joe

The Colorado 400T is being replaced by the PN-40, the regular 1gb unit. For the price on Amazon, $407, the unit, 16gb card and map purchase card - what a deal.

Just lookede at the reviews for the PN-40 and does it look good......Gotta save some money up :unsure:

I,m still using an old Meridian Gold and the PN-40 looks like a real upgrade....but then again i guess anything would

Joe

You'll love it!!

Here's more to drool over!! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FVLTNA/qid=1229487105

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I am looking at buying an inexpensive gps since I am new to this sport.

I have seen on my local craigslist a

Magellan Sporttrak Pro for $60 w/ topo maps

On this board I have seen a:

Magellan 315 for $25

Garmin Etrx for $90

Garmin Legend for $45

and lots of others for over $100

Of course the $25 one seems to be the lowest cost, but

"Cheapest isn't always least expensive"

Any help sorting all this out would be great

BTW I have a tom tom that I use to get around on the highways

I even used it to find my first 3 caches, a 4th eludes me.

Thanks

Jim

Before you do anything you should decide what features you are looking for.

Color screen Vs. Monochrome screen

Map display Vs. No Map display

Loading coordinates by hand Vs Loading coordinates with computer

Of the ones on your list,

the Magellan is a very old unit, as I recall they even predate geocaching. That is one that I would not recomend because you will have trouble finding accesories you may want or need. It will not support a map display.

The e-trex at $90.00 must be a new one at that price if it is the basic yellow version. if you want to load coordinates with a computer you are going to have to buy the data cabel. It it is used the price is way to high, even with the data cable the price is way to high for a used e-trex. The basic e-trex does not support a map display.

The e-trex Legend, if it is the original at $45.00 is a good price this GPS when new was sold with the Data cable included in the price. If it does not include the cable you should check the price on Garmins web site.

If you want to add a detailed map to any GPS you will have to figure in the price of the map software with any GPS.

IMO any used GPS or GPS should sell for 50% of it's original retail price. But the original retail price is not the same as the sugested retail price, no one sells GPS units for any thing even close the the sugested retail price. You also are not getting a factory warranty with a used GPS.

As far as this comment by Rockin Roddy

This is not the big of a problem, it will not keep you from finding caches, most cachers are not all that creative with their hide style. Many cachers found lots of caches in the early days of geocaching. We did not always have GPS units with 12 or more channels and we did not always have WAAS.

You do not need sirfIII technology It is also a myth that a GPS will lose it's signal on cloudy or rainy days, I know I have been out in cloudy rainy days with an old garmin yellow e-trex, garmin e-trex legend and also an old magellan sport trak color and sport track map, and I have never had a problem with reception.

There are many cachers the still use the older units and they have not problems finding caches. It is more about experiance than what GPS you are using.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Joe

You'll love it!!

Here's more to drool over!! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FVLTNA/qid=1229487105

That is the deal I went went. The Colorado 400T is a fine device; however, I got tired of the scroll wheel real fast. The screen refresh rate, the slow moving cursor to pan around, accuracy and so forth were concerns from the first. Had I come across the PN-40 first, I still would have gone with the Colorado 400T; but having hit the 400T first, the PN-40 now looks as a better alternative. I also thought about a touch screen device; however, touch screens do go bad.

As far as this comment by Rockin Roddy

This is not the big of a problem, it will not keep you from finding caches, most cachers are not all that creative with their hide style. Many cachers found lots of caches in the early days of geocaching. We did not always have GPS units with 12 or more channels and we did not always have WAAS.

You do not need sirfIII technology It is also a myth that a GPS will lose it's signal on cloudy or rainy days, I know I have been out in cloudy rainy days with an old garmin yellow e-trex, garmin e-trex legend and also an old magellan sport trak color and sport track map, and I have never had a problem with reception.

There are many cachers the still use the older units and they have not problems finding caches. It is more about experiance than what GPS you are using.

I can only tell of my experiences, I have owned a yellow etrex and a Legend, both would lose signal just driving down the road in open sky. Both would lose signal and take quite awhile in many cases to re-acquire signal. Both were inaccurate and sometimes had me walking well away from others using better technology. Now, I have taught Grls Scouts with a fleet of new etrex yellows, these do hold signal much better, but still have their problems!

Bought the Magellan Explorist 500LE and rarely lost signal, could lock on inside buildings (I bought it and batteries at Wal-Mart, had the unit on and acquiring signal while still checking out). Rarely had interference from trees, buildings etc and I even used it climbing mountains, no problem! Now own a PN-40 and have not lost signal yet, but I also just bought it!

My experience tells me to stay away from the old tech (and, I might add, I used my old tech etrex yellow for around 500 caches before realizing the difference), I wouldn't recommend anyone any differently! Not sure where you cache JV, but if it's Vegas, you're not likely to have the tree coverage problems we see in many other areas (and I've cached in Vegas several times). Dense tree cover WILL interfere with signal! I also used an old Magellan (pre-caching) which couldn't see through the Red Rock Canyon mountains I had hoped to use it in! It did accompany me to the peak of Turtlehead, but never had signal until near the top!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I am not in Las Vegas, I am N cal. area, most of my caching has been in the San Francisco bay area and I the Sacramento area. I have cached under lots of trees and in rain storms with several Garmin and Magellan units, I still have a Tom Tom one 3rd edition, Magellan sport trak color, Meridian gold, Explorist 500LE my primary is the Explorist 500LE and my Tom Tom, But I still use the Meridian gold from time to time. I also have to Triton 500s that have never been used, I got a deal on them so at least one if not both are going the e-bay route.

I have owned or used in the past, Garmin e-trex yellow, e-trex Legend, e-trex Vista, Magellan sport trak map, Explorist 500 (non LE version) and a Garmin street pilot 320.

I have tried lots of others, before I retired I was a buy for a Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance dealer in the Bay area.

The days of sirf being the big boy in the GPS chip market are becoming something of the past. There stock has been in a downword spiral for about two years, it is now valued at a small fraction of what it was a few years ago. There are other companies that have chips that work as well as the sirfIII chipset.

Sirf stock has gone from just under $40.00 a share two years ago to about $1.65 today. They make the rest of the market look good :yikes:

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I am not in Las Vegas, I am N cal. area, most of my caching has been in the San Francisco bay area and I the Sacramento area. I have cached under lots of trees and in rain storms with several Garmin and Magellan units, I still have a Tom Tom one 3rd edition, Magellan sport trak color, Meridian gold, Explorist 500LE my primary is the Explorist 500LE and my Tom Tom, But I still use the Meridian gold from time to time. I also have to Triton 500s that have never been used, I got a deal on them so at least one if not both are going the e-bay route.

I have owned or used in the past, Garmin e-trex yellow, e-trex Legend, e-trex Vista, Magellan sport trak map, Explorist 500 (non LE version) and a Garmin street pilot 320.

I have tried lots of others, before I retired I was a buy for a Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance dealer in the Bay area.

The days of sirf being the big boy in the GPS chip market are becoming something of the past. There stock has been in a downword spiral for about two years, it is now valued at a small fraction of what it was a few years ago. There are other companies that have chips that work as well as the sirfIII chipset.

Sirf stock has gone from just under $40.00 a share two years ago to about $1.65 today. They make the rest of the market look good :yikes:

Again, only speaking on my experience! I am not saying the sirfIII is the tech to look for, I'm saying it's the minimum I'd look for! If you don't care about reception, buy any old GPS and most will get you there...eventually! If you're looking to buy something you're going to enjoy using, buy new tech!!! With prices going down more each day, good deals are everywhere! A Triton 400 sells for $200 with maps around here (but watch out if you need help from Magellan, their CS isn't the best). I saw Garmin 60CSx units as low as $160 on the internest (new). You can pick up many great units with NEW tech for a good price these days, your choices don't need to be limited!!

I am not the only one saying this! :(