Garmin nuvi 205

aubreecn

so, I just got a Garmin 205 for christmas, will i be able to successfully use this for geocaching? I'm completely new at this.

My 205w seems to be good to get me close but I still use a etrex for the last few feet of the hunt. I started with the etrex so it seems to be what I am use to and works great.

The Nuvi series have a neat "hidden" feature that really helps for geocaching. On the main menu screen that has the little green strength meter in the upper left corner, hold your finger on the meter for about 6 seconds. A satellite signal map with lat/lon/ele pops up that gives you exact location rather than the annoying picture of a car running over a flag.

I have tried to find two caches ever, both with a Nuvi 200W. It found both or at least got me to within about 20 ft.

If you use it in the "north is at the top" mode and orient the top of GPS, north, toward actual north then it will show you the direction to the cache even though it doesn't have a compas and arrow like a Vista HCx.

Sure you can find caches with a Nuvi and it's great for use in the car.

The Nuvi series have a neat "hidden" feature that really helps for geocaching. On the main menu screen that has the little green strength meter in the upper left corner, hold your finger on the meter for about 6 seconds. A satellite signal map with lat/lon/ele pops up that gives you exact location rather than the annoying picture of a car running over a flag.

Wow, that will come in handy. Thank you! :]

This doesn't work on some of the 200's.

so, I just got a Garmin 205 for christmas, will i be able to successfully use this for geocaching? I'm completely new at this.

You can use it for geocaching like you can use a baseball bat to play tennis. It will work but there are better tools for the job. The Nuvi has way too many shortcomings for geocaching. It doesn't have the compass navigation screen, a key tool for geocachers. Battery life is too short. It isn't waterproof or durable and isn't physically designed to be held in the hand.

The Nuvi is great for guiding you around in your vehicle, but for geocaching a hand held unit is the best choice.

Unfortunately, briansnat is right about the short-comings of any automotive gps unit for geocaching.

On the plus side ~ It should serve to let you do just enough to get addicted tot the sport. And then you can buy a hand-held unit to make your geocaching trips more enjoyable.

Welcome to geocaching.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me... Just got a 205 for xmas. I wanted a low end model that would work well for road use, but allow for geocaching as well. A lot of people recommend more expensive models, but my opinion is that this is a nice model that gives you the ability to do both. I borrowed a 200 last fall and the kids and I were able to cache just fine with it. I just used a ziplock bag to prevent any immediate problems, and I'll probably look for a better waterproof/durability solution with mine. Switching it to offroad and pedestrian mode was about all I needed.

My only complaint so far with the 205 is that I've noticed that while in pedestrian and offroad modes, I don't get a line from my current location to the destination. I only get the start to destination line. On the 200 I got both, and on this I don't. This is a major bummer, as when walking around in the woods, you might lose that line.

If anyone has any advice if there's a way to fix this, I'd love to see it. I'm also going to take another post's advice and try the hidden menu.

-Adam.

Same here.....getting ready to purchase a hand held after only 3 days of geocaching with my new Nuvi 255W. Great GPS, took me withing a few feet of the last 5 caches....defiantly think a compass and easier to hold unit will work MUCH better. Currently researching any recommended models under $200 that I can. My 255 will work for now, just have to get used to going on coordinates alone. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Edited by Team_Harris

If you use the hidden features and get used to finding a spot with decent accuracy first then work your way to the GZ the nuvi works great. I think a lot of the time people that spend 400 or more on their devices need to think theirs are better than a lower priced device. The nuvi works great for me. I bought a second one with a wider screen I really think that the Nuvi is an under appreciated device.

If you use the hidden features and get used to finding a spot with decent accuracy first then work your way to the GZ the nuvi works great. I think a lot of the time people that spend 400 or more on their devices need to think theirs are better than a lower priced device. The nuvi works great for me. I bought a second one with a wider screen I really think that the Nuvi is an under appreciated device.

This is how I use my nuvi 205, I set to off road, 3d display, pedestrian, when i get to the search sight. Then i follow the the path on screen till it shows me right on the cache, then i click "were am i know" and it brings up my cords. On that screen, I watch the cords as i move and my 205 will put me within 6 feet or less every time. Works for me!!!

This is how I use my nuvi 205, I set to off road, 3d display, pedestrian, when i get to the search sight. Then i follow the the path on screen till it shows me right on the cache, then i click "were am i know" and it brings up my cords. On that screen, I watch the cords as i move and my 205 will put me within 6 feet or less every time. Works for me!!!

Yikes!!! Lining up coordinates is how many started out caching but found it is much too tedious.

No need to spend $400 either. A Garmin Venture HC makes a great 2nd unit to the Nuvi. Let the Nuvi guide you to good parking and then leave it in the car and grab the $120 Venture to guide you to the cache with a simple compass and countdown screen. Best of both worlds.

Yikes!!! Lining up coordinates is how many started out caching but found it is much too tedious.

It is a tedious and sometimes frustrating method. I used it for my first few finds. I was very happy to discover the navigation screen with it's arrow and distance countdown. It makes geocaching so much easier.

No need to spend $400 either. A Garmin Venture HC makes a great 2nd unit to the Nuvi. Let the Nuvi guide you to good parking and then leave it in the car and grab the $120 Venture to guide you to the cache with a simple compass and countdown screen. Best of both worlds.

Once Im at the sight, and switch to were am i, it takes me about 2 min to zero in, as the cords change fast on my 205, step by step. Much easyer than just using the "car on map" and puts me on target in no time cause im alread within 100 feet of it before I switch to were am i, or just touch the screen on my position. Works every time for me!

I have just started and I have had good success with my Garmin Nuvi 205. I use the secret coordinates that was mentioned in an earlier post (thanks!) I like that mode better than "Where am I" because the coords are bigger.

I had a couple of questions:

While in the secret coordinates mode my Nuvi 205 states the accuracy. I suppose that is the error factor for the coords that are displayed. Do the hand held devices have a tighter accuracy?

In the pedestrian mode, does it improve the accuracy or just provide different options for navigating (such as treating one way streets differently than in a car)? I have been leaving mine on Automobile and am still getting good results.

Thanks

Best to remember that the automotive GPSrs aren't waterproof, so don't forget the ziplock baggies. There was/is to be a waterproof unit but it hadn't been launched when I bought my Nuvi. Mine has a rechargeable battery which is NOT user replaceable (255W) so you have to be careful on that score too.

The last time I visited Garmin's website, they were touting the arrival of a GPSr good for marine, auto and geocaching, the user can replace the batteries and it is waterproof. Using the Garmin Nuvi series is a good way to see if you take to geocaching before buying a dedicated unit. We met some folks on the trails doing just that, but now they all have additional GPSrs....

Best to remember that the automotive GPSrs aren't waterproof, so don't forget the ziplock baggies. There was/is to be a waterproof unit but it hadn't been launched when I bought my Nuvi. Mine has a rechargeable battery which is NOT user replaceable (255W) so you have to be careful on that score too.

The last time I visited Garmin's website, they were touting the arrival of a GPSr good for marine, auto and geocaching, the user can replace the batteries and it is waterproof. Using the Garmin Nuvi series is a good way to see if you take to geocaching before buying a dedicated unit. We met some folks on the trails doing just that, but now they all have additional GPSrs....

The Nuvi 500 series is the only automotive GPS series that is suitable for geocaching. The 500 series is waterproof, has a compass navigation screen and I believe it has field replaceable batteries. Still its shape isn't conducive to hand held use and it doesn't come with a lanyard so one slip in the wrong place and bye bye GPS.

I use a nuvi 255w for caching and it works great. I have a lanyard that I use for it so I don't drop it (because it's not rugged like other units), I'm getting a backup battery pack soon (you can find 2AA and 4AA versions online) so that I can extend the battery life indefinitely, and I don't cache in the rain (because it's not waterproof). It works great for me.

Basically ALL you need to know about caching with a nuvi is here -

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

I can't believe no one posted this yet. This webpage explains how to set your nuvi up to go paperless geocaching (no need to print out maps, hints, logs, descriptions, etc) AND how to use it effectively to get right on top of the cache location.

Thanks for the information everyone. I still have a few questions:

1. Do the handheld units made specifically for Giecaching have a better accuraccy?
  2. Does the "Pedestrian" mode increase the Nuvi's accuracy at all?

Thanks!

It's hard to tell if a handheld GPS would have better accuracty than a Nuvi without knowing what chipsets they use.

Pedestrian vs. Driving mode only affect accuracy in the sense that when in "Driving" mode (or whatever it's called on the Nuvi) you GPS will attempt to navigate to waypoint by following roads. That means if you're walking down a trail that parallels a road, and the cache is located along the trail, the GPS will tell you to go towards the road rather than stay on the trail.

You have a Nuvi, so you can make the most of it.

Go here... http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

....to load and learn about Pilotsnipe's Nuvi macro. Good instructions.

Pay attention when you get into the "proximity alert" section. One thing that helps a lot is to set the alert for a very short distance. I set mine for 20'. When you get close, the Nuvi will ping, regardless of where the map screen is saying you are.

Go this thread...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...11&t=213782

...to find a custom Nuvi vehicle that allows you to see more near the search area. The little hoop is made for this.

Great info everyone thanks a lot. Another question:

I would like to hide a cache. Will the coordinates that my Nuvi 205 displays be accurate enough? I wouldn't want to frustrate anyone with inaccurate numbers.

Thanks

I have a Nuvi 205 and coordinates seem very accurate! It always takes me right on top of the cache, literally, using the where am i? so i would have to say yes. I have just read that you can hold your thumb over the signal to get better information. I am going out tomorrow so will test this theory out.

I have no problems with Nuvi until i go under tree cover and it jumps around alot on the basemap, but using where am i seems to be spot on.

26 finds and still counting!

I use a nuvi 255w for caching and it works great. I have a lanyard that I use for it so I don't drop it (because it's not rugged like other units), I'm getting a backup battery pack soon (you can find 2AA and 4AA versions online) so that I can extend the battery life indefinitely, and I don't cache in the rain (because it's not waterproof). It works great for me.

I can't believe no one posted this yet. This webpage explains how to set your nuvi up to go paperless geocaching (no need to print out maps, hints, logs, descriptions, etc) AND how to use it effectively to get right on top of the cache location.

Thanks for the link...a good read. Would you also share how you attached a lanyard to your Nuvi please? I am looking at mine now and short of clipping the case it came with to a lanyard...I am stuck! Thanks....

Great info everyone thanks a lot. Another question:

I would like to hide a cache. Will the coordinates that my Nuvi 205 displays be accurate enough? I wouldn't want to frustrate anyone with inaccurate numbers.

Thanks

I have a Nuvi 205 and coordinates seem very accurate! It always takes me right on top of the cache, literally, using the where am i? so i would have to say yes. I have just read that you can hold your thumb over the signal to get better information. I am going out tomorrow so will test this theory out.

I have no problems with Nuvi until i go under tree cover and it jumps around alot on the basemap, but using where am i seems to be spot on.

26 finds and still counting!

I am very happy with the accuracy as well. I need to stop trying to guess where the cache is and watch my GPS until I get right on top of the coords. I have been using the Hidden info trick since day one and I like it better than the "Where Am I" feature since the coords are bigger. I would like a little more input about hiding a cache using my Nuvi, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Unfortunately, briansnat is right about the short-comings of any automotive gps unit for geocaching.

On the plus side ~ It should serve to let you do just enough to get addicted tot the sport. And then you can buy a hand-held unit to make your geocaching trips more enjoyable.

Welcome to geocaching.

Which exactly what my Nuvi 200 did. It got me addicted and I have just this week ordered a Garmin 60 CSx. Even with all the shortcomings mentioned about the Nuvi...I have to say that I found this unit to be easy enough to operate once the tricks are learned. I found the lack of the Nuvi being water Resitant to be its biggest shortcoming. As for battery life...With the rechargeable system I have battery life off the cord was in the 4 hour range. Long enough to make several finds, get back to the vehicle and plug it back in.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.g....html#page1text This site was very helpful to me.

Thanks for the link...a good read. Would you also share how you attached a lanyard to your Nuvi please? I am looking at mine now and short of clipping the case it came with to a lanyard...I am stuck! Thanks....

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

Yes, it's ghetto rigged, but it works great! Basically I took velcro with adhesive on the back and pressed it firmly onto the nuvi. Then I took a matching size of velcro and sewed the lanyard to it (by hand because it was too thick to go through our sewing machine). It's very secure and the velcro won't budge if I drop the nuvi. If you decide to replicate this, make sure you sew it in the same spot and direction I did because it maximizes the contact between the two velcro pieces (thus creating a stronger bond). Also, make sure you put the velcro in the same location on the nuvi as I did because otherwise it will not clip into the windshield mount. You can take off the lanyard because it is velcro, but I tend to just leave mine on all of the time.

Good luck!

Edited by hoyshnin

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

Yes, it's ghetto rigged, but it works great! Basically I took velcro with adhesive on the back and pressed it firmly onto the nuvi. Then I took a matching size of velcro and sewed the lanyard to it (by hand because it was too thick to go through our sewing machine). It's very secure and the velcro won't budge if I drop the nuvi. If you decide to replicate this, make sure you sew it in the same spot and direction I did because it maximizes the contact between the two velcro pieces (thus creating a stronger bond). Also, make sure you put the velcro in the same location on the nuvi as I did because otherwise it will not clip into the windshield mount. You can take off the lanyard because it is velcro, but I tend to just leave mine on all of the time.

Good luck!

Another example of how to jerry rig an automotive unit to make it suitable for geocaching. I've seen similar

workarounds such as using a Ziploc when it rains, using the sat screen as a compass and turning it off when not needed to save battery life.

All which prove my point that a hand held unit is superior for geocaching.