New Oregon Firmware 2.70/2.58

Newsdude

This is different.

Forcing the "Track Log" setting to change to "Do not Record" in demo mode is intentional (you don't want bogus track data in the simulated location). It has worked this way on the Colorado and Oregon since day one. On my Oregon I set to demo mode, noted the change above, set back to normal (or WAAS) mode and noted that the setting was restored to "Record". Is this not what you are seeing?

BTW, the issue introduced in 2.6 was that the Track Log setting was not getting preserved across profile changes, it was always getting set to Record, Show on Map. That is fixed in 2.7, I have it set to Record, Show on Map in my outdoor profile and Record, Dont Show in my Automotive profile.

my unit sometimes does not restore to record. (as already mentioned - therefore i have to check it every time which is :):blink::) )

I do not set it to demo mode manually. But checking some features indoor will do so.

If the Oregon is having trouble getting a fix it will ask you if you want to continue to search for satellites. If you answer "no" you will be put into demo mode.

I'm wondering if you power off in demo mode whether the tracklog setting is somehow remembered incorrectly.

-Scott

I have not noticed any improvement. Tried WAAS again tonight and it still takes forever (sometimes 15-30 minutes) to lock and as soon as I step into the woods the Oregon can't hold onto the WAAS satellite. About the only time I can get WAAS is to find a clear view of the SW sky and hold it there for about 5 minutes. It'll eventually lock on 51 but it drops the second I go under any type of cover.

Just did the update on my New oregon....about all I notice is that I can now zoom in on my photos in photo viewer. But I am new.

One thing I really do wish the Oregon had in its Geocaching screens is an easy way to move from the Map screen to the cache description page, and the hint page. I guess I got used to being able to do all that on my CSx, and I kind of miss it.

Is there someplace you can submit requests for a future update?

I had an issue with the unit on the weekend. I have 2.80 installed and is working fine for the most part, however when I tried to change modes, from Automotive to Geocaching, the unit shut down completely. It did that a few times when traveling, but when I tried it again at home it was fine, and has been since.

I had an issue with the unit on the weekend. I have 2.80 installed and is working fine for the most part, however when I tried to change modes, from Automotive to Geocaching, the unit shut down completely. It did that a few times when traveling, but when I tried it again at home it was fine, and has been since.

I had that happen once on 2.80.

There are a lot of features I had on my 60CS and my 60CSx (inasmuch as the two units are basically identical) that I grew attached to, and I have found it a little frustrating that the 400T doesn't have a LOT of these functions. Other than the already beaten to death waypoint averaging, I am at a loss as to how Garmin could have omitted the capability to delete and view waypoints by symbol, and the ability to change your reference for searching. (That is, searching for waypoints/caches near a location other than the current one).

I love the functionalities of the Oregon, and since I got it at such an obscenely reduced price, I am very happy with it. I would be a LOT less happy if I had paid more, however. If anyone were to ask me which GPS they should buy, I would tell them the 60CSx, because it's the only GPS I have seen that truly does it all. That said, for pure geocaching, the 400T is just a joy to use, and has already greatly enriched my geocaching experience. As long as you are just going from one cache to the next, which I do very often, it's first rate. But it would not be my first choice if I were using it for more "serious" navigation, like Search and Rescue or backcountry operations.

Hopefully, Garmin will see fit to include some of these features in future updates. They will surely sell a lot more units if they do.

Edited by bunkerdave

...and the ability to change your reference for searching. (That is, searching for waypoints/caches near a location other than the current one).

You can do some of this on the Oregon. If you go to WhereTo? and select the little target icon button at the bottom you can select your new search origin. You can't search for geocaches in this way but you can for POI's, waypoints, etc.