Geocoin 2008 Awards

PLnauta

I still do not see where there is the problem...

I do not see that the "Academy" reserves themselves the right to be the onlyones to judge coins and give an award to the coins...

As with films or any other things there can be multiple people awarding things, just like the oscar, berlin bear, etc...

If the academy does it it´s one "group" if u want, keep in mind, there is a public vote also to be done as I understood it...

This thread would be another "group" to do awards to coins...

The coins get the awards or they do not, who is interested can read what is behind those awards and judge for themseves how personal the judging went by...

As to the secrecy concerning the "Academy": Sounds just like they are still setting it up and it was not supposed to be talked about just yet. Give them time to finish their idea and then we will see. If u plan a georgeos Multi-Cache u do not talk about it to every cacher in ur region before... I think this is just the same...

4 - When PLnauta started this thread it was about nominating categories for a DEMOCRATIC vote. 1 person, 1 vote (with the ability to nominate a coin in several categories). That was the topic of the thread wasn't it ?

Yup, that was the topic...and then F&H offered the information that something of the like was in the works.

It was just information, mind you. It was not a plug. It was not a suggestion that the OP's idea was off-limits. It was a statement that a similar, alternative idea was in the works by someone who wants to contribute something to the hobby.

How that managed to draw amazingly over-reactive criticism, ridiculous accusations and knee-jerk assumptions is a very sad reflection of how truly unfriendly these forums have become.

It's great to see that collectors are enthusiastic about recognizing their favorite geocoins. We should all be thrilled that our common hobby is still going strong. But with the way people here are so quick to grab torches and pitchforks...I'm more than happy to avoid this vitriol, and put my own enthusiasm to better use elsewhere.

Having coin vendors, designers and producers judge the best coins for the year or who will be added to the list to be judged just doesn't sound impartial.

Actually, we think that best judge of a coin's overall quality & merit are some of these people, because designers and producers know what went into the coin to create the end result. We have seen many collectors incorrectly identify what techniques and finishes were used on a coin. Some artists hand their designs over to a production company and don't want or have input into the production, so they don't always know what happened to the coin after it left their sketchbook.

When we hold coins created by Yime or the Hound we can usually tell what techniques, finishes, textures, levels, etc were used to produce the end result. It's not just the final 'look' but all the bits and pieces that go into a coin that create the masterpiece you hold in your hand and gaze in wonder at.

We would be honoured to have our coins given the once over by the Geocoin Academy folk but we'd prefer to see them included in a mixed bag like PLnauta is suggesting. Could the Geocoin Academy judges could be included in judging the coins that are entered in the group that PLnauta is putting together. What about a co-operative venture? Shortlisting from a longlist is good and this is perhaps where the Geocoin Academy has a good plan. It's not about playing favourites, it's about a procedure that will be manageable and work.

Whoever is behind the Geocoin Academy has certainly put a respected, level-headed group together so let's wait to see what comes out of it. I don't think that we're going to be able to enter any of our coins, but that's not why we design and produce. We are our own biggest critics and we're the ones we have to please at the end of the day.

What's with all the fear and negativity guys? Your friends who like your coin and think you're great nominate you. If you're lucky you might win and get a big congrats for a job well done. How did this turn into "please don't criticize a coin" thread? :)

What a shame, folks. Really. Opinions are one thing, but why the severe negativism against something that hasn't even got off the ground yet? That's really disappointing.

But hey, take a step back and ask yourself something...Do ya still think that voting would be any more civilized? Hmmm? Or is this what the forums have evolved into...pointed fear of the unknown or of being left out of the loop.

From what I've seen, there is no loop. The whole Academy concept was started by a collector who seems to be exactly like yourselves...enthusiastic about the exact same stuff we all collect. They seem to want to contribute something positive to geocoin collectors, and they probably need a few tweaks before it functions right. Anything wrong with that? Or better yet...is that so wrong that it should be shot to hell before it even starts? Seriously...lots of people come here to ask opinions...maybe he wasn't ready to roll it out just yet?

But man...if you look at this thread as a microcosm of "forum issues", it kinda proves that it's impossible to introduce something new to the public without that jaded negativism and disgruntled comments. That's become a disturbing norm here nowadays. Consider that this is all over something that wasn't announced or "okayed" with everyone first, and you have a real deterrent to creativity. Shame for that.

For those of you who are fearful of "who" is involved, I can't answer that because it's not my project. I was asked to lend my opinion, and I tend to think it's because I'm pretty fair at that. Maybe some won't agree. All I can do is shrug and apologize. But I can tell you that I'm getting absolutely nothing out of it. Again, from what I've seen, it's not a clique or a star chamber. Heck, I don't even know half the people involved, and it's certainly not for me to promote or discuss it here.

But I'll sure as heck defend this person's right to try something new...just as much as I'll defend YOUR right to try something new.

It's really easy for individuals to tear down something they don't think will benefit them. Yet if we instead offer something positive...perhaps something worthwhile gets built for everyone to enjoy? I think that's what this Academy thing is all about.

Take a minute to consider that before adding angst to the forums?

Just because some of us may not like the ideas posed or post something other than 'sugar-coating' of an idea that makes us fearful and Mr./Mrs. Negativity? I can recall other threads where each of us (including you both) had posed questions and thoughts that may have been viewed as negativity. The nice thing about being here is we are all allowed our thoughts and opinions even if they don't fall 'in line" with the popular vote. Yet only when it's viewed as negativity we are told by a few that we're fearful and negative? When did those of us with reservations about what's going on here become people who were trying to tear an idea down or became fearful because we would not benefitu from the proposed idea? Personally I don't consider myself negative or fearful just because i don't like a concept or idea initially. If truth be told having others point out the 'other side of the coin' if you will, can make things better by mere fact of pointing out considerations that may not have been thought of.

Just like coins, not every idea is going to be liked or well-thought of. Even if I hated both the ideas proposed (Academy/Geocoin Awards), my opinion and others isn't going to stop someone from doing what they want to do.

Now the difference between this thread and the Academy is that 1 of these has been opened up to ALL people versus 1 that was done behind the scenes (not saying secretly). While it is a private endeavor that person can choose to do whatever he/she wants, yet the minute the link was posted, it opened itself up to criticisms/concerns/praises. If you can be open to praise you can be open to concerns.

Since most people aren't willing to push buttons especially when it comes to well-known people on the boards and usually having little fear because I have no qualms with honesty, I'm going to come out and say it; (you both know that I admire your work and like you both) but you're both on the Academy board so can a person truly say they are impartial? Are there hurt feelings about not being asked? I'm sure there are because there is almost always the "how come they were asked and I wasn't?" thinking going on. So, it stands to reason that both of you and some of the others on the board would like to see this go through, are very positive about it but had you not been asked or maybe not even have known about it until the link was dropped in your lap, could you possibly even for 1 millisecond have thought in your own mind possible 'concerns' with the idea of the Academy? You've had time to adjust to this whole concept and then when PLNauta's thread popped up, it still wasn't a new concept to you or some of the others.

Thing is I'm usually very open-minded about a number of things if I think them to be fair and open to everyone. The minute there is some sort of exclusion, than I'm not as receptive to an idea immediately that doesn't make me negative or fearful. It makes me concerned about the overall effect on everyone not just myself.

Ok well I'll just quit. Notice I did not tear down the ideas of either the thread or the Academy. This was an overall response to people being called negative and fearful which I took slight offense to :D :D

I have a number of thoughts and feeling about both the Awards/Academy but I have just sat back and watched the threads progress.

PLNauta: I apologize if some of this was Off Topic but I wanted to address some other issues since the thread covered a number of thoughts/ideas. To address your thread specifically what I do like about it is that everyone can be included although I do feel as though it does become a popularity contest. From a personal and honest standpoint from my perspective; I remember a thread maybe earlier this year or late last year when a vendor asked people to vote for their favorite designer, and they would try to offer a coin from that designer. Well you can imagine the votes for Yime, Jamie from Madhatters,F&H, CinemaBoxers and a couple others, essentially the 'big time designers' who are very popular. However us small timers either didn't register at all on the radar screen or maybe got 1 vote. Call it sour grapes or whatever you want but that stung. Most people probably wouldn't admit it but hey I'm human and I have feelings. There is a range of emotions that come along with seeing "favorite this and favorite that" and seeing that you don't measure up in the majority of the eyes of geocoiners. I'm not saying that just because a coin doesn't get nominated doesn't mean it doesn't measure up what I'm trying to say is that there are people and feelings behind the design and for those of us beind the design, it sometimes takes a thick skin to be put in a competitive scenario when you never wanted to be there in the 1st place because you only did designs because you loved what you were doing. Anyhow.... I have a bunch more to say on this but not sure I'm willing to even go there.

If it's fun for people to do it, have at it. I just felt the need to express myself a bit from my perspective. My ideas/thoughts are only important to me in the end anyhow :) I do have a choice on what threads I choose to open, right? :laughing: For those of you who feel the need to debate what I just wrote, feel free but know that I gave my personal feelings and thoughs about SOME things and I'm not here to argue for or against, I'm just 1 person with an opinion and I'm not here to justify it only to put it out there as food for thought.

Oh 1 more thing than I promise I'm done: I really don't like the 'Best Geocoin Vendor" option only because not everyone buys from everyone else, everyone has their favorites and the ones that are still here are do a mighty fine job. Every vendor doing their best should be given 'kudos'.

Guess I should get back to the football games...

I'm not saying that just because a coin doesn't get nominated doesn't mean it doesn't measure up what I'm trying to say is that there are people and feelings behind the design and for those of us beind the design, it sometimes takes a thick skin to be put in a competitive scenario when you never wanted to be there in the 1st place because you only did designs because you loved what you were doing. Anyhow.... I have a bunch more to say on this but not sure I'm willing to even go there.

Guess I should get back to the football games...

I like that an artist such as yourself and others get emotionaly involved in the coin art itself. Maybe that is what helps make coins special in many respects as they can be a reflection of who someone is internally expressed in the hardness of metal. Sometimes when I hold a coin in my hand I wonder about such things and look at the details to capture a feeling.

The nice thing about football unlike Gymnastics & figure skating winners are clearly defined by score rather than by judges