this is kinda annoying..

mchaos

We had a DNF log deleted for a cache near where Mickey lives in SoCal. The owner made various claims. Cleaning up the page for future finders was the main one. The other was that they were in contact with TPTB and had been asked to reduce logs in order to conserve server space. :rolleyes:

I've seen some difficult caches have lots of notes and things written where people would make comments, saying something like, "Worked out 2 of the 5 stages of the puzzle. My mind hurts, but I plan to work on more later."

The cache page can look busy, but that's all part of the cache history and should definitely remain. DNFs are the same thing. They are part of the history of the cache.

Say a cache goes missing and you come along and don't log a DNF because of your "own stupidity". Then Cacher B comes along and doesn't log a DNF because he plans on coming back again. Cacher C then looks for the cache and doesn't log a DNF because he didn't think he searched hard enough. Cacher D then takes a shot and he logs a DNF, and finally Cacher F looks and decides not to log a DNF because he's new and doesn't want to alarm the owner.

This is a good argument for what I said in my last post in this thread: Go ahead and log your DNF, but state the condition, such as "I'm new" or "I only had two minutes to look." Any one of the above DNF logs could then be ignored by the cache owner if looked at by themselves, but when all five are considered together, it becomes evident that the cache is probably really missing.

Edit: cantt speel

Edited by Lil Devil

Speaking of "this is kinda annoying"...

A cache owner who deliberately posts bad coordinates...

The coords are soft on purpose because I wanted to leave clues in on the page to find it. Make it a little fun.

The coords are just too the parking lot.

That's a mystery cache, not a traditional. And not very nice. For a traditional cache, the coordinates are for the cache, not for the parking.

Speaking of "this is kinda annoying"...

A cache owner who deliberately posts bad coordinates...

The coords are soft on purpose because I wanted to leave clues in on the page to find it. Make it a little fun.

The coords are just too the parking lot.

That's a mystery cache, not a traditional. And not very nice. For a traditional cache, the coordinates are for the cache, not for the parking.

That's just rotten.

quick question actually, kind of on topic.

i'm new so i dont' quite know the answer.

I went to a cache and logged a DNF after an extensive search. i went back a couple weeks later and found it.

what do i do, do i turn my DNF into a Find, or do i jsut post a new log sayign i found it.?

No, you leave your DNF for the previous, because you didn't find it then. Now go back & log your find & get your smiley. It's part of the history of the cache.

yeah thats what i assumed, the only reason i really even considered the alternative is that on the stats it then showed as a dnf, despite having found it originally. i don't really care about the stats but it had me thinking.

Thank you for you quick response.

We had a DNF log deleted for a cache near where Mickey lives in SoCal. The owner made various claims. Cleaning up the page for future finders was the main one. The other was that they were in contact with TPTB and had been asked to reduce logs in order to conserve server space. :rolleyes:
I've seen some difficult caches have lots of notes and things written where people would make comments, saying something like, "Worked out 2 of the 5 stages of the puzzle. My mind hurts, but I plan to work on more later."

The cache page can look busy, but that's all part of the cache history and should definitely remain. DNFs are the same thing. They are part of the history of the cache.

The "server space" comment caught my attention. That's plain silliness (which was your point, I think!) especially since, if I remember correctly, a log is never really deleted, just archived.

I have had this experince w/ a cache near me. I did one dnf ;however; visited about 5 times. I found I was entering the trail at the wrong end. when i enteredd from the other end i found it easyly. the other end kept telling me i was right on top of it when i was 400 ft from it. go figure. :D

I especially like for hunters to log their DNF's IF they are indeed actual DNF's. That means they searched for a reasonable amount of time and didn't find the cache. After a couple of these legitimate DNF's, I'll go out and check it out. However, I don't like it when someone logs a DNF and it really is a DNLDTM(did not look due to muggles). I don't consider this a true DNF and should only be logged as a note. Almost 100% of these DNF's are logged as such and they say they will return to search at another time. Some caches are a little tricky and take extra time so shouldn't be logged as DNF's. Anyone agree with me on this point? :D

I especially like for hunters to log their DNF's IF they are indeed actual DNF's. That means they searched for a reasonable amount of time and didn't find the cache. After a couple of these legitimate DNF's, I'll go out and check it out. However, I don't like it when someone logs a DNF and it really is a DNLDTM(did not look due to muggles). I don't consider this a true DNF and should only be logged as a note. Almost 100% of these DNF's are logged as such and they say they will return to search at another time. Some caches are a little tricky and take extra time so shouldn't be logged as DNF's. Anyone agree with me on this point? :laughing:

Everyone has their own definition for the start of the hunt. Some say it is when you press the 'Go To' button, others say it is when you get to GZ.

Personally, I'm in the GZ camp. If something prevents me from even approaching the cache location, I'll post a note...if anything.

As long as the seeker describes the conditions, the owner can easily decide if a maintenance run is needed.