Oregon accuracy?

Just got this new unit and I am having some second thoughts--I was in the field with a Vista HCX and while I was at the cache found by the Vista my Oregon was showing 40 meters away. This knocks my confidence out of using this unit for if I was on my own I would never have found the cache--What if anything is Garmin doing to fix this inaccuracy problem? (unit was calibrated shortly before the cache attempt)---thanks Ken

I have had an Oregon 200 for about two months have found over 100 caches with it. I have noticed that a majored of the time when I get to within twenty meters that it starts going haywire in regards to which direction to go. As I get to within about ten meters I put the GPS aside and begin searching. Once I find the cache that is when the GPS starts to calm down. It has caused me to not want to buy another Garmin again.

I have had an Oregon 200 for about two months have found over 100 caches with it. I have noticed that a majored of the time when I get to within twenty meters that it starts going haywire in regards to which direction to go. As I get to within about ten meters I put the GPS aside and begin searching. Once I find the cache that is when the GPS starts to calm down. It has caused me to not want to buy another Garmin again.

Turn off the electronic compass - it is most jittery.

With the latest firmware installed - My Oregon is just as accurate as any of my other GPS units. Usually reads within a few feet of my others. No different then using 2 identical units.

Sounds normal to me. Get within 10-30m of the cache location, ignore the gps.

The Oregon 200 does not has an electronic compass and only can calculate the direction while moving. If you start searching the cache, you normaly move smothly and together with the - normal - variation of the actual position the Or 200 calculates sometimes the direction "wrong".

I'm vey satisfied with my Oregon 300 - the electronic compass points me directly to the cache. I've to calibrate it after changing the batteries, but that goes quick.

Hi,

I own a Vista Hcx and an Oregon 300. I recently was recording coordinates with both units for a multicache I am planing to hide. On some of the spots both units were quite close to each other, but more often than not they were quite a bit apart from each other. I think the worst was about 10 meters apart from each other.

All measurements were taken in the woods under tree cover. The measurements on Vista were taken with averaging for 30 seconds.

I don't know which one is more accurate, since I obviously do not know which of the two set of coordinates (if any) is right and which is wrong.

My gut feeling, however, is that the Vista is more accurate. At least in some cases, where I was searching for caches under heavy tree cover, the Vista was spot on, while the Oregon was pointing to an area 10 to 20 meters away from the actual cache.

Robert

Averaging will always be better. Try the Wherigo cartridge that allows you to average on the Oregon.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...6d-b16f48b79597

Not always.

If you have just a few sats and a very poor geometry between them - all you are doing is averaging bad data.

Not always, true. But at least for this comparison and his point he has to compare the two while averaging. If the Oregon is giving bad readings then his point will be even more obvious with the average.

Edited by Maingray