Garmin Oregon

beauxp

Ok, am I missing something here?

I read some of the comments about the problems with the Oregon, but I think they were played down.

I went from a 60csx to an Oregon 300. I already had Topo 2008 and i was wanting to get the new City Navigator 2009.

I thought the Oregon was an upgrade, but maybe I am wrong, maybe someone can correct me.

Oregon pluses I noticed:

1) 3d view shows elevation even in street mode

2) shaded relief

3) touch screen

4) smaller size

5) screen lock feature is nice

Oregon is just missing so many things that the the 60csx does have, for example:

1) General issues:

a) On map screen you have the option of up to four fields

:P can not flip from screen to screen without exiting to the main menu and then selecting the other screen ( seems like they could just let you slide you finger left or right at the bottom of the screen to go to the next or previous screens. The do basically this on the main menu screen.

c) battery meter does not read correctly.

d) car power adapter that is recommended by Garmin is not correct. I has a 90 degree turn that is the wrong way. Works but is not correct.

2) Routing issues pertaining to street navigation:

a) when you have it on the map page, or any page, and you are getting close to a turn it beeps and flashes an enlarged image of the up coming turn and then does it again at the turn. It does not do this with the Oregon at all. When the Oregon is on another screen it just beeps and when on the map page it just beeps.

:laughing: should you miss your turn, the 60csx was very fast to recalculate, the Oregon is very slow. Example would be with the 60csx you would only miss your turn by about 200 feet. With the Oregon you could be a couple of blocks.

c) Can not manually stop, edit, or recalculate your route from the map screen, but exit map screen to the main menu then go to active route.

Other good features that are on par with 60CSX:

1) picks up sat reception very fast

2) sat reception is very strong

3) battery life seem to be pretty good to me

I guess I am just disappointed. I was so impressed with the 60csx that I just assumed that the new Colorado and Oregon series had to be improvements and figured with Garmin's standing in the GPS market that any little issues would be fixed very soon.

I saw the Garmin Oregon Wiki. Do you think Garmin pays attention to that and is their a way to add suggestions to the list?

After all these problems with Colorado, they are sold for $200 incl rebate, Oregon in my opinion is a lot better, but I don't see any software improvements.

As I posted oct 26

LET GARMIN KNOW WE ARE NOT HAPPY, mail this to them.

I'm a garmin gps user from the beginning, that means I was a long time happy customer.

And I really wonder , what the hell are you doing today.

You make nice gps'es, but many of the last years models suffer big and minor bugs, this I can understand, because the complexity and use is so big you can't foresee all the problems.

What I don't understand, is why the followup models have most op the old (resolved) problems again plus new problems.

Even worse is your so called 'helpdesk', basically all they do is replying after about a week or 2 with a computer generated answer, saying they received the message, they will look after it and if we have other questions we are free to ask, I NEVER saw in all the gps groups and fora worldwide somebody who had a right answer on their question.

I cannot understand if there are hundereds of issues with colorado, oregon, zumo, nuvi, why don't you solve them and stop the release of new models for a couple of month.

Not to mention your so called mapudate to 2009, this involves a complete change of your computer because the needed new mapsource 6.14 needs a fast computer and is overwriting the old mapsource, putting in trouble the major part of the users, because for many of them there's no way back, because you have to be in computers to know how to restore the old situation.

As yo know your automakers are almost dead because of arrogance and not willing to change I think it's 1 to 12 for you, because there must be a company in the world who want's to listen to their clients and happy to have them.

I will have to say this for Garmin, I do like the fold at phone support. They have always been very helpful. Never had any issues with the 60csx but sometimes did not understand how to do something but i could call and they could walk me through something.

Regarding the Oregon (and I guess the Colorado since from what I understand the unit is the same but not touch) The Oregon has just two many things that I don't like about it.

I think if this was my first unit or if I had a low end unit before I would like the Oregon.

It is:

very easy to use

Locks on sats super fast

shaded relief is very nice

But just twom many things I don't like that the 60CSX does.

I have sent my Oregon back and am getting another 60CSX.

I have never seen any marketing, ad or other statement from Garmin that the Colorado and/or Oregon were meant to be some kind of "upgrade" of any previous model.

Both introduced some nice new features and ported over many easy to learn and useful features of previous models. They are very nice units and work well with the latest firmware upgrades. I very much like these units especially when used for outdoor activities. I would not describe either as a replacement for or upgrade to the 60CSx however. They are simple addtions to the Garmin product line.

I have never seen any marketing, ad or other statement from Garmin that the Colorado and/or Oregon were meant to be some kind of "upgrade" of any previous model.

Both introduced some nice new features and ported over many easy to learn and useful features of previous models. They are very nice units and work well with the latest firmware upgrades. I very much like these units especially when used for outdoor activities. I would not describe either as a replacement for or upgrade to the 60CSx however. They are simple addtions to the Garmin product line.

I would agree with this. And really went back in forth over the this unit and the 60csx. But I can't get over how dim the screen is in daylight.

IMO, these are some seriously minor quibbles. You really should have kept it longer to get used to the differences. The pluses far outweigh the minuses. In particlar, cache descriptions and easy to use touch screen UI are great.

I don't even notice the dimmer screen anymore.

Also, you can recalculate route on the 'where to?' screen which changes when navigating, don't need to go to active route. (if on the latest firmware..)

IMO, these are some seriously minor quibbles. You really should have kept it longer to get used to the differences. The pluses far outweigh the minuses. In particlar, cache descriptions and easy to use touch screen UI are great.

I don't even notice the dimmer screen anymore.

Also, you can recalculate route on the 'where to?' screen which changes when navigating, don't need to go to active route. (if on the latest firmware..)

I disagree but it really does not matter. Each of us have our preferences and depending on what you want the unit for you may think it is great or you may hate it.

I could not care less if geocashing didn't exist. So the cash feature really does not appeal to me.

I liked the 60csx because it was a really good gps unit for hiking, backpacking, and was very powerful when it came to street navigation.

Pros:

1. Ability to view full cache details on the GPS and integrate with gc.com webpage (upload caches directly / log field notes)

2. Large hi res screen

3. Good company support (still) but see con below.

4. Massive overhaul of GPS interface...uses touchscreen well to quickly switch between Geocaching / Automotive / Hiking etc profiles (the Colorado did not). Very "fun" interface.

5. Reliable (IMO) routeable premium street maps with good POI coverage. Premium topo maps, and higher scales one being released now. A snap to install quickly.

Cons:

1. No premium aerial / satellite imagery.

2. Dull screen.

3. Accuracy questions, but v2.6 released few weeks ago seems to have fixed. I've had no issues, yet.

4. Crashes..none here, but reported.

5. Possible lack of interest by Garmin, who seem to have blown the geocaching "get it" recently. Need a Garmin geocaching focus team.

6. Feels "dumbed" down interface wise at times, somethings you could control on the "X" units you just can't do.

Edited by Maingray

Just a note on screen brightness in general.

After reading the gloom and doom on screen brightness I thought I was in for some major dissapointment when Garmin replaced my Colorado with an Oregon. Honestly it's not as bad as I thought. On cloudy days with less than bright sunlight the screen is lit up enough with the screen brightness turned up. In sunlight it's just a matter of angling it properly. In my opinion the Oregon screen brightness is just a touch worse than the Colorado. Not as bright as the 60, vista or other smaller screens BUT still bright enough to be read reasonably well. Now, if Garmin would just stop sniffing glue while creating these firmware updates we'd be in buisness. :rolleyes:

That's a pretty fair assessment. The issue I have is when riding a bike -- it is very difficult to tilt the unit so you can see it since it is in a fixed mount. Too bad because the touch screen of the Oregon makes it much easier to deal with on a bike, but it is hard to see in the sun -- that's why I only ride on cloudy days or at night. :rolleyes:

Just a note on screen brightness in general.

After reading the gloom and doom on screen brightness I thought I was in for some major dissapointment when Garmin replaced my Colorado with an Oregon. Honestly it's not as bad as I thought. On cloudy days with less than bright sunlight the screen is lit up enough with the screen brightness turned up. In sunlight it's just a matter of angling it properly. In my opinion the Oregon screen brightness is just a touch worse than the Colorado. Not as bright as the 60, vista or other smaller screens BUT still bright enough to be read reasonably well. Now, if Garmin would just stop sniffing glue while creating these firmware updates we'd be in buisness. :rolleyes:

Agreed, dullness is over stated. I kept mine.

The Garmin website does use the term "next generation".

As a team we had both a 76Csx and a 60Csx. We updated to the Oregon. At first, I was a bit bummed by the extra navigating and changes to the way the Oregon worked when compared to two above. However, aside from the annoying battery meter, we love the Oregons for caching. You can re-arrange your menus to put the most used icons together. I hold my unit in my hand and use my thumb to get to most anywhere in a few touches. Personally, now that I am used to it, I navigate faster than I did with my 76. When navigating, we flip between the map and the turn by turn directions so it wasnt a big change for us. I usually used the compass, so the missing data fields on the map means I can see more map. And having all the cache page info on the GPS is fantastic.

Yes, I probably use about 20% of the unit's capabilities, but that serves 90% of my needs. Right now we carry an extra set of batteries to make up for the goofy bat meter, but we very satisfied with the Oregon as it is now and can only see it getting better.

Not sure if this has been noted before but... FYI

"On Demand" Track-Up mode (from Automotive mode)

I stumbled upon a nifty feature on my Oregon 300 (w/Topo2008 loaded on SD) today and thought I'd share. Let me start by saying this MAYBE nifty in certain situations depending on your use.

When the map view is set to AUTOMOTIVE you can quickly swipe your thumb/finger accross the map screen (may take some practice) to have it switch to TRACK-UP. You won't see the data fields (if enabled) but the scale bar is there and the terrain shading (if available) shows. Now let me be clear, you will not see the red pin and your screen position will not be frozen, the map screen will act as in it's in TRACK-UP mode. To exit this TRACK-UP "on demand" there is a back-arrow to press and your back to AUTOMOTIVE mode.

This feature is great for me because I do alot of driving through the mountains and it's nice to see terrain shading "on demand" if you will, instead of navigating to the setup menu to see terrain shading and then back again when you want automotive mode. Sometimes when your in AUTOMOTIVE mode you just want to see the map normaly from above and/or see a scale bar for a second and then switch back. This handy feature is very thoughtful in my opinion and, if not an accident, shows some thoughfulness in software planning on Garmin's part.

Now if only that Waypoint Averaging apple would fall on Garmin's head!

Edited by yogazoo

As a team we had both a 76Csx and a 60Csx. We updated to the Oregon. At first, I was a bit bummed by the extra navigating and changes to the way the Oregon worked when compared to two above. However, aside from the annoying battery meter, we love the Oregons for caching. You can re-arrange your menus to put the most used icons together. I hold my unit in my hand and use my thumb to get to most anywhere in a few touches. Personally, now that I am used to it, I navigate faster than I did with my 76. When navigating, we flip between the map and the turn by turn directions so it wasnt a big change for us. I usually used the compass, so the missing data fields on the map means I can see more map. And having all the cache page info on the GPS is fantastic.

Yes, I probably use about 20% of the unit's capabilities, but that serves 90% of my needs. Right now we carry an extra set of batteries to make up for the goofy bat meter, but we very satisfied with the Oregon as it is now and can only see it getting better.

WITrailRider, I can't agree with you more. It took a little getting used too. The dim screen was probably the only issue, but after using it a while its not an issue anymore. As a geocacher I'm probably not using it to its full potential. I also have a 60csx but when it comes time for caching the Oregon is the go to gps. The 60csx makes a great backup unit. Unless the Oregon gives me any major reasons to go back to the 60. I guess it will sit on my desk and continue to be a $300 paperweight. :D

When the map view is set to AUTOMOTIVE you can quickly swipe your thumb/finger accross the map screen (may take some practice) to have it switch to TRACK-UP. You won't see the data fields (if enabled) but the scale bar is there and the terrain shading (if available) shows. Now let me be clear, you will not see the red pin and your screen position will not be frozen, the map screen will act as in it's in TRACK-UP mode. To exit this TRACK-UP "on demand" there is a back-arrow to press and your back to AUTOMOTIVE mode.

After you enter track up mode and you touch the compass rose in the upper left corner (very hard to do because it is so small) you can get into North up mode.