"Scenic" Lamppost and Guardrail caches

Kit Fox

Briansnat's most recent post triggered a relatively recent memory for me. Here's the view from a Walmart lamp post hide in Wasilla, Alaska -- Super Cache:

8a61a411-e4d1-4c04-a5d6-a486402e7000.jpg

Those are Pioneer Peak and Twin Peaks looming over the Matanuska River Valley.

I don't know Ladybug kids. I think I'm going to have to toss my flag on the field, and have the officials take another look at this one up in the booth. A Wally World LPC is still a Wally World LPC, even if there are Mountains all around you in the distance. :)

Wasilla, huh? I've heard of that, but I can't put my finger on where. ;)

I don't know Ladybug kids. I think I'm going to have to toss my flag on the field, and have the officials take another look at this one up in the booth. A Wally World LPC is still a Wally World LPC, even if there are Mountains all around you in the distance. :D

Wasilla, huh? I've heard of that, but I can't put my finger on where. :unsure:

Hokay, ya' got me. Ya' can't quite see Russia from there, don' cha' know, because the mountains are in the way. But, ya' betcha' there are even better regular size hides using ammo cans left over from 'bou hunts stashed in the real Alaska!
I don't know Ladybug kids. I think I'm going to have to toss my flag on the field, and have the officials take another look at this one up in the booth. A Wally World LPC is still a Wally World LPC, even if there are Mountains all around you in the distance. :D

Wasilla, huh? I've heard of that, but I can't put my finger on where. :D

Hokay, ya' got me. Ya' can't quite see Russia from there, don' cha' know, because the mountains are in the way. But, ya' betcha' there are even better regular size hides using ammo cans left over from 'bou hunts stashed in the real Alaska!

Thanks, now I have the sound of her saying that playing over and over in my head. :D

Hey, nice Watchdog2020 in the post above me. I've been up there before, before geocaching existed. Perhaps I'll make it back some day, but it's kinda far off of 17 while I'm just passing through the area.

I don't know Ladybug kids. I

Hey, nice Watchdog2020 in the post above me. I've been up there before, before geocaching existed. Perhaps I'll make it back some day, but it's kinda far off of 17 while I'm just passing through the area.

They put a new off ramp in. You can jump off 17 (now Rt.86) and be there in under 5 minutes.

395664a4-8e7c-4053-aef9-fb9151105bba.jpg

Lycoming County Airport Penny Cache

Here's one I enjoyed. The view would be much nicer had we been there in the fall or on a sunny spring day, but you get the idea. This was a guardrail cache.

a0355294-8afe-434f-b6d6-74cbc47b9f1f.jpg

Aquatic Dreaming

This one is another guardrail hide on a bridge. I guess it's easy to overlook the view if you're just running for a number but when you take the time to snap a picture you have a chance to appreciate what you're seeing.

34e5d2de-9f7b-4573-aa0d-d5cd2b2dc128.jpg

Edith Gap Overlook

Here's another guardrail micro my wife and I visited in Virginia. The field of view is narrow but certainly worthy of a stop.

Edited by DocDiTTo

Or a turkey farm?

3058421815_7ecc9b9105.jpg

Are people really that removed from their food sources that a common every day event like slaughtering turkeys for food makes the news?

On topic:

1008184461_fd86ca7374.jpg

from GCPZKK. Not exactly a guardrail, but a low separating rail running along a pier.

Though I have to say, there was plenty of area for at least a small.

I've only really enjoyed a few of the micro caches that I have found. As a result I have not hidden any micro caches of my own. But after see these photos I think I have a good scenic location in mind that could only really support a micro cache. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Kit Fox did a guardrail? Really? Amazing! But it looks like a really nice view so that is okay. I have three that have nice views and the logs comment on the views. Good luck with it and hope you get some nice logs. If I ever get down that way I promise I'll do it and leave more than than a TNLNSL.

Jim

Wasilla, huh? I've heard of that, but I can't put my finger on where. :D

Thanks, now I have the sound of her saying that playing over and over in my head. :P

I've been up there too but I was on my way home and didn't grab that cache. The photo doesn't do the view justice. I was somewhat nearby yesterday and found the first stage of a multi cache called Tidbits Farewell. The first stage was in a cemetery (the second about 11 miles way) but the cemetery was at the top of the hill overlooking a different section of the same valley (from the opposite direction). My wife said that often when we've stopped for a cache while driving (mostly P&Gs) that the spot wasn't that specially but she was really glad we went to this one.

I hid a guardrail cache

Great. Now that darn Apocalyptic equestrian quartet will be making an appearance... :D:D

The funny thing is that I had to move three ammo cans, and dig through all of my camo materials just to find one of those opaque film canisters. At least I didn't use the leaky black film canister :P .

There is another spot I found during my drive that is worthy of a park and grab (there is a cliff right next to the road), and the view is this:

th_05-31-09081.jpg

There isn't a guardrail handy so I would put a box under a bush.