South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

Okay cincol - you are close enough - it was Hans Brinker - here an extract from part of a website which I looked at after hearing the story here in Holland.

The legend of the brave Dutch boy - by others thought to be named Hans Brinker - who supposedly put his finger in the dyke to prevent a flood, was actually a literary invention by the American writer Mary Elizabeth Mapes Dodge (1831-1905), who was born in New York.

It is said that 99% of the Americans know this so-called Dutch legend about the courageous 'Hans Brinker', mainly by reading the book at school, or hearing the tale from their parents. In the past, many American tourists left the Netherlands in disappointment, because none of the Dutch natives could point out the dyke where Hans Brinker saved the country. Fact is that the story of Hans Brinker was hardly present in the oral tradition or cultural awareness of the Netherlands, even though the book had been translated into Dutch as early as 1867 by P.J. Andriessen (De zilveren schaatsen, een schets uit het Noord-Hollandsche volksleven, illustrated by Charles Braakensieck). The book has been reprinted several times, always with the following addition by Andriessen to the Hans Brinker legend: "This sweet story is entirely the author's view."

Then the Dutch tourist authorities decided to create a statue showing the boy with his finger in the dyke which was put up in Spaardam in 1950 – it inscription reads "Dedicated to our youth, to honor the boy who symbolizes the perpetual struggle of Holland against the water.””

Rather amazing that most Hollanders don't know the story and the ones that do will remind you that it is an American story!!:D:anicute:

Close - very close but no cigar - yet! :(

Although Paul Roos' team was the first to be called the Springboks, or "De Springbokken" to be exact, they did not play against the British Lions [a team made up of all 4 Home Unions] during that tour, but rather against the 4 Home Unions indiviually. They had 2 wins, a draw against England and a loss to Scotland.

SA first played against the British & Irish Lions in July 1891 and lost 0-4 in Port Elizabeth, but they were not the Springboks. SA lost that series 0-3 without even scoring a single point against the tourists! :(

Been watching rthe Lions on Safari - and I seem to recall that there were 2 tours to SA by the Lions before Paul Roos toured the UK.

I seem to recall it was PE (although it may have been Kimberley). Griquas came the closest to actually beating the Lions (British Isles - I think they only became known as the Lions much later). And the captain was English - but had not played for England yet.

I know the last test was in Cape Town.

Close - very close but no cigar - yet! ;)

Although Paul Roos' team was the first to be called the Springboks, or "De Springbokken" to be exact, they did not play against the British Lions [a team made up of all 4 Home Unions] during that tour, but rather against the 4 Home Unions indiviually. They had 2 wins, a draw against England and a loss to Scotland.

SA first played against the British & Irish Lions in July 1891 and lost 0-4 in Port Elizabeth, but they were not the Springboks. SA lost that series 0-3 without even scoring a single point against the tourists! :)

Sorry - need to read the entire thread before answering.

I guess that makes it afew years later just before the Great War when the Lions toured SA and played in Joburg

Thanks to Saturdays Burger we have found out that the British Isles played as "The Lions" for the first time on the 1924 tour of South Africa.

The first test was in Durban.

The Springboks did play the British Isles during the 1910 Tour to SA, but they were not known as the "Lions" yet. They played as the "Lions" in South Africa on the 1924 Tour.

This was a bit of a curved ball question. It's all yours. :)

Active 66 million years ago? That puts paid to my guess but I will state my case nevertheless. There are a number of volcanoes in South America but I am not au fair with their locations with respect to the equator, etc.

Kilimanjaro has been presumed to be inactive since it was discovered [was first climbed only 100 odd years ago] but there is apparently a school of thought that now has declared it as being active. The research shows it last erupted some 20,000 years ago but is nevertheless considered active. I have no idea near which town it might be though so I cannot complete my guess. :)

Edited by cincol

It is a South African town. :)

Perhaps semantics are to blame :) , but Salpeterkop (?) in the Karoo [near Sutherland] was last active about 66 milion years ago - relatively young in geological and seismic terms. In contrast to this, the Pilanesberg National Park [sun City] is situated in the crater of a 1300 million year old volcano. More details can be seen on my EarthCache situated there - see GC18GG9 - Pilanesberg National Park Alkaline Ring Complex

Edited by cincol

Near which town would you find the last active volcano south of the equator? It was active 66 million years ago.

It is a South African town. ;)

Perhaps semantics are to blame <_< , but Salpeterkop (?) in the Karoo [near Sutherland] was last active about 66 milion years ago - relatively young in geological and seismic terms. In contrast to this, the Pilanesberg National Park [sun City] is situated in the crater of a 1300 million year old volcano. More details can be seen on my EarthCache situated there - see GC18GG9 - Pilanesberg National Park Alkaline Ring Complex

Hey - they told us that during our tour of SALT - but sadly it had left my memory when this question came up this morning.

Tractors?

You got it!! ;)

Yes weird, hey. Lambourghini started selling tractors in SA in recent years (say the lsat 10 years). A neighbour bought one of these white machines, and when I did a bit of research I discovered they have been building tractors forever. Most people (including me) only associated them with those supercars.

Where is the largest single granite outcrop in Africa (it might even be in the world) - excuse my uncertainty, but the question comes via Mrs Pooks.

PS: I'll do some homework to refine the question if necessary, but I'm pretty sure the geological heavies out there will know the answer (and will be able to answer it better than I).

Edited by the pooks

Paarl is the 2nd largest outcrop if I remember correctly. Not too sure of the largest though - I think it is in Limpopo Province somewhere between Polokwane [Pietersburg] and Makhado [Louis Trichardt].

The Rustenburg/Swartruggens area in North West has an abundance of massive granite outcrops, but they are not the largest SINGLE ones though. Huge amounts of granite are mined and exported for tombstones, building cladding, table tops, floor tiles, etc.

Maybe Carbon Hunter can answer this one but he is currently in Bahrain for a few days and without internet access. ;)

How about Swaziland, just north of Mbabane?

I remember driving past an enormous outcrop, and wondering why there isn't a cache right on top yet...? ;)

Sebebe Rock

I had a suspicion Fish Eagle would come up with something - Swaziland seems to be his stomping ground! Had a look in GE and it is just north of Mbabane, so it must be the one FE is talking about - looks as if it needs a cache indeed.

Your turn Fish Eagle

Whoop, whoop!! That's COOL!! :D

Yes, that's the one - we drove past it about a year ago, and it's very, very impressive.

Hate to have to climb it though..... ;)

Thanks to Mrs FE for prodding my memory (she's actually a lot sharper than I am!!)

OK, here's our question......

The following list of animals is long, but very specific.

Many animals are included, but many are intentionally omitted.

This list is enacted in legislation.

Antbear, Buffalo, Duiker (Blue) or Piti, Elephant , Giraffe, Hippopotamus, Klipspringer, Livingstone Antelope, Nyala Antelope, Oribi, Rhinoceros, Roan Antelope, Sable Antelope, Tsessebe, Vaal Rhebuck, Waterbuck, Warthog, Bateleur, Bee-eaters - all species, Bustards and Korhaans - all species, Coursers - all species, Cuckoos and Coucals - all species, Cranes - all species, Crested Guineafowl, Dikkops - all species, Dwarf Goose, Flamingo - all species, Grouse - all species, Hammerhead, Herons and Egrets - all species, Hornbills - all species, Hoepoes - all species, Honeyguides - all species, Ibis - all species, Jacana - all species, Kingfisher - all species, Louries - all species, Orioles - all species, Owls - all species, Plovers - all species, Rollers (Bluejays) - all species, Secretary Bird, Storks - all species, Snipe - all species, Sunbirds - all species, Swallows - all species, Swifts - all species, Vultures - all species, Woodpeckers - all species, Wagtails and Longclaws - all species

This list has a very specific name - what name?

Swaziland's threatened species list?

Umm, nope - not quite what I'm looking for, but you're getting warmer.....

The answer I want is two words - it's a very specific name for that list of animals, and it's defined in the definitions at the beginning of the applicable Act.

Here's some more info - maybe clues, maybe not.....

The above list comes out of the original Act which was legislated in 195?

That's when the two word name came into use in that context.

However, the Act was amended in 199?

Some animals were added, others removed, and the original list was split into two lists

This could indicate a change of policy/heart/thinking on the part of the legislators

Or adapting to changing worldwide views

The two word name now applies to the second list

The two words are English

1953 definition - "word1 word2" means any animal or bird, which is named in the First Schedule other than a domesticated animal or bird;

1991 definition - "word1 word2" means any animal or bird which is named in the Second Schedule of this Act or any part of any such animal or bird;

OK - how about Swazi protected species - or perhaps royal game if they are still linked to the british style.

You're it!!

"Royal Game" was what I was looking for.

Swaziland is very serious about the concept of "royal game", which combined with an innate respect of the monarchy by native Swazis, and stiff penalties, results in one of the lowest incidences of poaching in Africa.

For interest, here's the applicable section of the 1991 amendment Act which illustrates how serious they are:

Unlike many Acts which state a maximum penalty, note that there are minimum penalties here too...

"Prohibition of hunting and dealing in specially protected and royal game.

8. (1) No person shall hunt or attempt to hunt or be in possession of a trophy of any specially protected game unless he holds valid permit issued under subsection (1) of section 16, and otherwise than in accordance with the conditions set out in such permit.

(2) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term of not less than five years but not exceeding fifteen years, without the option of a fine.

(3) Subject to the provisions of section 16, any person who trades or trafficks in the raw product of any specially protected game shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to imprisionment for a period of not less than seven years but not exceeding fifteen years, without the option of a fine.

(4) No person shall hunt or attempt to hunt, or be in possession of a trophy of any royal game unless he is in possession of a valid permit issued under subsection (1) of section 16, and otherwise than in accordance with the conditions set out in such permit.

(5) Any person who contravenes the provisions of subsection (4) shall be guilty of an ofence and liable on conviction to a fine of not less than four thousand Emalangeni but not exceeding thirty thousand Emalangeni or, in default of payment, to imprisonment for a term of not less than one year but not exceeding five years:

Provided that in all cases any fine imposed shall not be less than the replacement value of the animals or birds in respect of which the offence is committed.

(6) Any person found guilty of an offence under subsection (1), (3) or (4) shall be required by the Court in addition to any penalty imposed under that subsection, to either replace that game or to compensate fully for its replacement value, failing which such person shall be liable to a further period of imprisonment of not less than two years but not exceeding six years.

(7) Any such replacement or compensation shall be made to the owner of the game or, if ownership of the game cannot be established, to the owner of the property where the game was hunted, and where the owner of such game or property cannot be determined, such replacement or compensation shall be made to the Government.

South Africa has recently regulated the Renewable Energy Feed In Tarriff opening the way for many wind farms in the country.

There are only 7 sizable wind turbines in operation currently in SA (3 at klipheuwel and 4 at Darling).

39_12_55---Lowestoft-Wind-Turbine_web.jpg

Question: What is the central nousing that is on top of the mast and that the blades are connected to called?