South African (Off-Topic) Quiz

DamhuisClan

South Africa has recently regulated the Renewable Energy Feed In Tarriff opening the way for many wind farms in the country.

There are only 7 sizable wind turbines in operation currently in SA (3 at klipheuwel and 4 at Darling).

39_12_55---Lowestoft-Wind-Turbine_web.jpg

Question: What is the central nousing that is on top of the mast and that the blades are connected to called?

nacelle?

Pooks - yep you're it - nacelle is the correct word.

Don't know how that word popped into my brain! Had a look at wikipedia afterwards and the housing that contains an aircraft engine is also called a nacelle.

An idea stolen/borrowed from the UK forums:

What is the name of the cache in the top right of this image

44aaac7f-7d8b-4b2b-b48b-762155201985.jpg

Edited by the pooks

The building in the centre of the picture looks suspiciously like the SALT near Sutherland. However, not having done any caching there I have no idea what the name of the cache might be without having to do a search on gc.com to find out. I am sure someone like cownchicken will know the name as they have no doubt done that cache! :mad:

Geodetic systems that cover the entire globe? If you're looking for what the abbreviations mean, I think they are World Geodetic System '84 and Universal ... something Mercator. Universal Traverse Mercator, perhaps?

I did a cache a while ago that required you to work with three systems - the Dutch Grid, WGS84 and UTM. That's the only reason I vaguely know what UTM stands for. q:

We all use our GPSr's often but normally just take the settings for granted. Recently I had to help a newbie get his GPSr's settings sorted out as it was totally inaccurate - only to discover that he had set it to QNG [Qatar National Grid] when the default should have been WGS84. While working through the settings I was amazed to see how many different settings are available on the Garmin and decided to look at what they all mean.

Well done besem - and also thanks to our resident land surveyor Jors for further explaining.

Also ran into this recently - all farm boundaries in SA are supplied in the SA "standard" format - and when trying to convert these to WGS84 for in field checks on the Garmin

Proved interesting

Also heading off on holiday soon to Southern Oman - and there is an intersection of 2 systems there too

.... convert(ing) these to WGS84 for in field checks on the Garmin Proved interesting ....

Do I smell a puzzle cache in the making? :o

I got formulas from Trig Survey in Mowbray quite a while ago. The formulas are very involved, but I developed macros in Excel so that I ride around on the farm taking track logs of boundaries fields, convert it to cadastral x,y coordinates and import this into a CAD program (automatically via a script) so that I have a (reasonably) accurate and to scale drawing of the farm and fields.

If someone is interested in a closer look of the formulas they can PM me.

In 1882 there was a rare transit of Venus. By that time Kepler has developed an accurate model of the solar system, but it lacked one ingredient - scale. The Venus Transit allowed astronemers to measure the distance between the Earth and the Sun, hence there was a big hooh-hah to observe the transit properly. Several expeditions were sent to various observing sites in South Africa. My question is about the British expedition: they erected two concrete pillars at their observing site to be used for mounting their instruments. These pillars were engraved with the names of the astronomers working on site and are still there today. It was declared a national monument in 1938.

What is the (modern) name of the town where the British had their observing station?

It's possible to visit the pillars today, but you'll have to know exactly where they are - they're located in the backyard of a liquor store in a rather shabby area. It's sad to see a national monument hidden away like that...

I think it is in Touws River - opposite the caravan park near the old hotel. remember going there some years back when we stayed over at the caravanpark.

Touws River it is! I expected cownchicken to come up with the answer first. (; cincol, next question please!

Lots of rusting old trains and steam engines?

Yep -it is those steam engines that brings enthusiasts from the world over to Touws River. Apparently the humidity levels are extremely low and therefor rust is not a problem hence the steam "graveyard".

Guy who first reported UFO sightings i believe.... sometime just after WW2 1947/8 - Funny, I was just looking for the photos I took when this question was asked.

You're it

He is best-known for making what is generally considered the first widely reported unidentified flying object sighting in the United States, after claiming to see nine unusual objects flying in a chain near Mount Rainier, Washington on June 24, 1947. Arnold described the objects' shape as resembling a flat saucer or disc, and also described their erratic motion as resembling a saucer skipped across water; from this, the press quickly coined the new terms "flying saucer" and "flying disc" to describe such objects, many of which were reported within days after Arnold's sighting.