Now that's not your oridinary DNF

emmett

While touring a certain area by bike recently, I had occasion to check on a certain cleverly placed (if I do say so myself) micro that I had hidden on a tree.

Sure, I could imagine perhaps the micro might go missing, but the tree?

All that is left is a 12-inch stub, but the tree is nowhere to be found.

It has vanished, like a 7-0 lead in the 7th inning of the ALCS.

There would be no cause for someone to cut it and the stub shows no evidence of a saw.

If it fell, it would surely be nearby, right? No so.

Save for the stump, there is no sign of it whatsoever.

So what then happened to this tree?

I have (had) a micro under a park bench, The bench just a disappeared one day. A few weeks later it was back. Someone rebuilt it, minus my cache. So I replaced the cache. That was about 2 months ago. 3 days ago its gone again. I'm working a new hiding place for a new cache.

While touring a certain area by bike recently, I had occasion to check on a certain cleverly placed (if I do say so myself) micro that I had hidden on a tree.

Sure, I could imagine perhaps the micro might go missing, but the tree?

All that is left is a 12-inch stub, but the tree is nowhere to be found.

There would be no cause for someone to cut it and the stub shows no evidence of a saw.

If it fell, it would surely be nearby, right? No so.

Save for the stump, there is no sign of it whatsoever.

So what then happened to this tree?

First, you have not provided us with photos of the stub of the tree and of the surrounding area so that we may make our own educated guesses about what may have happened. But, in this case, your omission is hardly serious, for we all know that....

It is well-known that while God actively dislikes lame urban micros, God absolutely despises micros hidden in trees, bushes and in forests. And, it is quite well-known that in many cases of micros hidden in trees, God and the angels, in their Rightful and Righteous and Vengeful Wrath, simply make the tree disappear, so great is/was the blight that the micro had caused.

Repent, and go now and sin no more! Place no more micros in trees, nor in forests, nor in wilderness areas.

I once buried some hidden treasure when I was 12 years old right next to a great 300 year old oak tree.

That tree no longer exists.

There is a jungle gym right where that was.

Of course the treasure was nothing special. But there IS some other hidden un-treasure in that same town, and that's unlikely to ever get 'muggled'. I just have not had a chance to ever go and try to recover it.

Edited by trainlove

LOL! I'm not God, but I detest micro's in trees as well.

There's one in particular where there's only effectively one spruce tree in the area, but I still can't seem to find the blasted thing.

I like the out-of-the-box thinking though - just take the whole tree, then mulch it down, till you find the micro.

Kinda makes putting it back kinda tough though...

Pictures are important. If there was no sign of a cutting, but the stump was there, what did the stump look like? If it looked like a hewed spear point, then you probably have a beaver situation.

Good luck!

c.

Sure, I could imagine perhaps the micro might go missing, but the tree? All that is left is a 12-inch stub, but the tree is nowhere to be found.
Looked for a micro that sounded like it was in a tree not too long ago and when I arrived all I found was a stump. The tree had been cut down and removed. As I was double checking my coords and walking the area when I stumbled across the cache laying on the ground. So I logged my find and hid the cache in a little hole in the side of the stump.

Now I could of gone all day without reading that (again). Us Tampa Bay area folks are hurting this morning. Hopefully the Rays don't squander the opportunity tomorrow as it would be nicer to have that big a win in front of a home crowd, but as part of that home crowd I would of rather not see it go to game 6.... ::sigh:: :lol:

We hunted a micro once that was hidden in the fence around a base ball field.

Imagine our surprise when we got there and found....

No fence.

No ball field.

All that was left was the scars where the fence had been and the quickly fading patches of dirt where the diamond had been....oh yeah, and not the latest cache container, but an older one that had fallen down into the fence post and been replaced. It still had a log in it. It was sitting near the hole that once held the corner post.

We signed the log and emailed the cache owner to let him know there was 'a bit of a problem' with the cache and to ask what he wanted us to do with the log/container.

A year ago or so there was a series of four caches placed in newspaper bins for a local free dispenser boxes. The newspaper dispensers were typically locked to a nearby pole, but a short time after the caches were placed the containers (magnetic hide-a-keys) started disappearing.

It turned out that the newspaper was swapping out the dispenser boxes, repainting them, then placing back out again. Somewhere in town there are likely some newly painted newspaper boxes with cache containers in them.

Us Tampa Bay area folks are hurting this morning. Hopefully the Rays don't squander the opportunity tomorrow as it would be nicer to have that big a win in front of a home crowd, but as part of that home crowd I would of rather not see it go to game 6....

Us Boston folk know all about hurting. We invented it up here.

Hard to figure what will happen next.

Who would have guessed Tampa's Fenway destruction over two games and seven innings?

Who would have predicted the Sox rising from the dead again?

As a baseball fan, it's hard not to like the Rays.

As a Red Sox fan, I can't like them too much.

Sad thing is, if the Sox do win, most will say Tampa choked just like they said the Yankees choked in 2004.

Nonesense, either way. The teams are evenly matched. It was expected to or six or seven games. What difference does it make how they got to the sixth or seventh game?

One of our favorite cache hides was in a tree that eventually was removed. It wasn't a micro cache, and it wasn't a small tree. The remaining stump is about 10 feet in diameter, but if you look at the pictures on the cache page, you'll see that is a little misleading...

Proclivities

We were fortunate that a cache hunter happened by while the tree was in the process of being removed; they found and rescued the cache for us.

This is just too funny. While I was in San Diego in Aug I had a similar situation. Hubby was along, which is always a treat, but when we got to GZ all that was there was a city construction horse. There had been a tree there but all that was left was the ground level cut stump. Hubby commented what an intelligant game you play here. (He obviously isnt a cacher) but he is a good sport in small burst.

Well when we got back to our bungalo I wanted to log the disaster, as it looked to be very recently done as there were still chips on the ground. What I found was that the tree had been cut within the wk & since I had DL the info. OK got new coords, stopped back at this marina got to GZ to find this tree too had been cut down. WT*! I sent an email to CO who responded the cache has again been moved but is no longer IN a tree. I decided to pass on a 3rd try.

Maybe 'HE' is a tree hugger, but it sure made for funny campfire chat.

Edited by Mother Wolf