Fallen Heroes Geocoin

Chapskis1

Hi --

I just found a fallen heroes geocoin in a cache yesterday. Wow! What a beautiful coin, and a great cause and idea! So, I ordered on of these today, and it brings me to my question. Would it be acceptable to keep this coin (the one that I am buying)? It's really cool, and I'd kind of like to keep it, but on the other hand I almost feel obligated to put it in a cache -- almost like it would be disrespectful if I didn't? What do you folks think?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that not many of this coins will go misssing -- I would hate to think that someone would consider stealing one of these.

Thanks,

Chapskis1

Hi --

I just found a fallen heroes geocoin in a cache yesterday. Wow! What a beautiful coin, and a great cause and idea! So, I ordered on of these today, and it brings me to my question. Would it be acceptable to keep this coin (the one that I am buying)? It's really cool, and I'd kind of like to keep it, but on the other hand I almost feel obligated to put it in a cache -- almost like it would be disrespectful if I didn't? What do you folks think?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that not many of this coins will go misssing -- I would hate to think that someone would consider stealing one of these.

Thanks,

Chapskis1

I'm sad to say that a friend of mine (clupea) had one of these go missing just the other day (TB2F7F1) :blink: . I sure hate to think a fellow cacher would do something like that, but......

I say if you paid for it and it belongs to noone else, keep it as you wish. I only a geocoin (that's right... singular. I haven't been bitten with the addiction yet :blink:), and it stays with me, travelling with me to any events I go to. That way, it CAN still be discovered and get some movement (from event to event).

I even wrapped it in chainmail to make it look all fancy shmancy at the events :D

Everyone is right it is yours to do with as you want and I think it is a great idea to release it so others can enjoy it but if it is that special to you then it may be a good idea to keep it or order another one so one can be with you and the other one can travel and it will slove all your issues.

Edited by River Cacher

well what can i say more then what everybody say it is your coin..

if you wanna let it in to the world but you are affraid it will stolen maybe you can use a Mystery Bug.

you can put the number of the coin on it and when people log it they see your coin.

it is only a tought......

So, you are saying release something else with the same tracking # on it?? I have some personalized wooden nickels -- could I put the tracking # on one of those and release that??

Thanks,

Chapskis1

if you wanna let it in to the world but you are affraid it will stolen maybe you can use a Mystery Bug.

you can put the number of the coin on it and when people log it they see your coin.

So, you are saying release something else with the same tracking # on it?? I have some personalized wooden nickels -- could I put the tracking # on one of those and release that??

Thanks,

Chapskis1

I have been told people do and I am not sure if that is by the rules. It would seem like if you had a photo or something that was to do with the coin on one side of the nickel it would work but I am not 100% sure so i will keep an eye on this post and this could be a good idea to help Chapski1

Thanks,

Chapskis1

Yes this can be done but many cachers get upset when they go to a cache to locate a coin and only find a copy. If you are going to release a copy one would normally change the travel bug title to reflect this. But since you are not the owner you won't be able to change the title.

My opinion is to either keep it in your collection, it's your coin after all, or release it to honor the soldier it is named for.

Thanks,

Chapskis1

Yes this can be done but many cachers get upset when they go to a cache to locate a coin and only find a copy. If you are going to release a copy one would normally change the travel bug title to reflect this. But since you are not the owner you won't be able to change the title.

My opinion is to either keep it in your collection, it's your coin after all, or release it to honor the soldier it is named for.

it is treu that some cachers are upset when the find a copy but i think when you let the coin travel and it get stolen you are going upset so it is a hard decision......

if you tell on your coin side the story about the coin and that it is a copy then i don`t understand why people get upset of a copy the cachers get the icon and after all it is for the Fallen Heroes .....but hè don`t get me wrong it is only my opinion....

but i don`t mean a real copy i`m tolking about one of these things what you can find by CastleCoinsandPins.

http://www.castlecoinsandpins.com/shop/ind...e8eaa3896bd16df

Hi Chapskis1! I think I know where you found that coin! :)

I've released about 100 coins. Maybe 1/5th of those have been lost/stolen/missing. It's a gamble.

One thing you could do -- I've done this for a favorite coin -- activate the coin and use it to 'dip' in all your caches as you travel.

You could also activate it and bring it with you to events and lets others 'discover' it without having to take it.

Or you could just buy it, own it, display it (activated or not).

It's your coin, once you pay for it, so do with it as you please!

ok ... I've been following this topic and have to say this about that..... when I went to the site to order mine I didn't read it thoroughly enough. These coins are NOT owned by the buyer, they are already activated by "Fallen Heroes" that is why you must grab the coin instead of activate it.... or am I thinking of another coin? When I bought these coins (incidentally I bought 4) I thought it would be cool to use them as FTF prizes.....now.... I'm not so sure. I'm a bit confused which way to go here. So, how about some help please! thank you all. Cache on! Tup

Edited by Tup

Tup - yup the coins are pre-activited.

I suppose that one could keep it - it was paid for after all, I also suppose that some people will steal these coins from caches (yup I said it). True you are not supposed to put out coins if you are not prepared to lose them, however the point of these coins is to maintain awareness of those Americans that died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some might read the profile online, and be moved to to something to help out Soldiers who might not have been otherwise.

Just a thought

I bought one at gcf08 and yes it was already preactivated.BUT since i grabbed it from the owner when i paid for it i figured i might as well keep it going around so i placed it in a cache.The main point was that some of the proceeds went to some type of organazation sooo.Idid my deed by buying it.