Who's using an Auto GPS and having good luck?

mtngr1

Well, I found 3 out of 4 caches today using my Garmin 60 csx for the 1st time, and so far a good experience, but I was wondering since I'm in the car so much trying to get to the cache, was wondering if I should exchange the 60 csx for an auto gps and then just carry it with me, after I get out of the car. Wanted some input on fellow geocachers experience's on which ones you are using and your thoughts. I have 30 days to return the 60 csx and just wanted to make sure on my purchase. Oh btw, the 60 csx is a great gps!

If I was to redo my purchaces in the last 2 months I would have taken back my CAR GPS and bought City Navigator for My 60 CSx. I have and use both I use a Nuvi 255w to route me to the general area I am looking for the cache in. Then when I start my search I use my 60. I did not get my 60 until it was to late to take the Nuvi back. But it is still nice haveing both since I can do paperless with the nuvi that helps on looking up info or if you run into a cache that might be a quick park and grab on your way home my son and I had 3 that way Saturday night that we had not planned for that as we were driving the proximity alarm went of said hey this looks like a quick one lets go grab it. These also ened up being NIGHT caches but that is another story.

Some auto GPS units can be used for geocaching, but they are far from perfect. I'd say get City Navigator for your 60CSX and you can use it for auto navigation. You have an excellent, waterproof, durable unit with good battery life that is perfect for geocaching. Why trade it in for a unit with short battery life that is not waterproof or durable or even designed to be held in the hand?

Look at it this way:

60CSX - excellent for geocaching, very good for auto navigation

Auto units - poor to fair for geocaching, excellent for auto navigation

Edited by briansnat

That's the input I wanted to hear, because I haven't been using a gps long enough to know what's out there. I'm very happy with the 60 csx and I do not regret my purchase, especially when you're looking around bushes etc for a cache, it's very durable. Can I use the 60 csx for proximity caches and how does that work? Boy, I can see this geocaching getting very addictive. : )

My husband uses his 60 CSx for navigating at work (he is a truck driver) and while caching. It really makes it much easier to get to the general area to start the hunt. It has also come in very handy while traveling to help find our hotel, where to eat, the nearest gas station, etc.

Proximity alerts tell you when you get within a set distance to the cache you are set to find. You can adjust that distance.

Also, the geocaching mode lets you push find the next nearest cache after you find one. From the compass page, choose the "found" button, press, and it congratulates you and asks you if you want to find the next nearest cache. Push the enter button and it automatically sets the gps to go to the next nearest unfound cache.

Well I only have a TomTom One (3rd Edition) and while it's not very practical for this sort of thing I have still managed to log 16 finds in my very first week of searching. If I had the extra cash to throw around (which I definitely don't) I might invest in a handheld travel unit but this one seems to be doing ok for me. The downsides to a car GPS are a very short battery life (about 2 hours) and bulky enough that it takes a full hand to hold it leaving you only 1 hand to move branches, grab branches tp pull yourself up trails and steady yourself if you slip. One upside to the TomTom...if you get stuck in the woods at night (like I did last night) it makes a great lantern lol.

Edited by Melancholy43920

I am using one (generic automotive gps from staples) and while it is fairly accurate, the battery life is less than desired. I was on a 7.5 hour multi cache route this past weekend and thank goodness I had a partner with a GPS60C because after locating our 6th cache my battery died. Best bet is to go with the handheld units, not only can you add more maps, and depending on model, go paperless or add external antenna's, but the battery life is a big help. Just my .02 :(

In general, I classify most of the in-car nav units as - "not suitable" for geocaching. In most cases - it can be done but just isn't the right tool.

On the flip side, many of the handheld geocaching specific units are well suited to geocaching and are at a minimum "suitable" as well for in-car navigation.

In general, I classify most of the in-car nav units as - "not suitable" for geocaching. In most cases - it can be done but just isn't the right tool.

On the flip side, many of the handheld geocaching specific units are well suited to geocaching and are at a minimum "suitable" as well for in-car navigation.

Agree.. I figure on using my Automotive GPS for determining the best approach to parking and once I hop out of the car my soon to be new handheld will take me to the prize :(

We've been using a nuvi 350 and are still newbies to caching. We want to get a decent handheld. Nuvi works fine, but definitely isn't ergonomic and no case. Also battery life is dodgy -- could have been stranded on a recent multicache, but luckily where near a road when it died.

Suggestions for a handheld are welcome -- price range $200 - $300 would be best. Good Christmas present to ourselves :ph34r:

All I can say is..."You have got to be kidding"...There is not a handheld GPSr better then your 60CSX.....I just can not image carrying your auto GPS while searching for a cache container when you have the 60CSx....There is no auto GPSr that compares with the 60CSx in searching for a cache container, in the woods, urban street, on the trails, or anywhere. Good Luck

I have the TomTom and I am using it for approaching the site by car. It is a really good aid since with the new software it is possible to fed in the coordinates. The TomTom directs you to the nearest drivable road. After that I use my normal garmin GPSr

All I can say is..."You have got to be kidding"...There is not a handheld GPSr better then your 60CSX.....I just can not image carrying your auto GPS while searching for a cache container when you have the 60CSx....There is no auto GPSr that compares with the 60CSx in searching for a cache container, in the woods, urban street, on the trails, or anywhere. Good Luck

Dont know if that was directed towards my post, but assuming since I said I own a auto GPS and my partner I was hunting with had the 60C it was.. honestly, the accuracy of my unit was pretty compareable, but it is the lack of battery power and the "awkwardness" that is making want to get a handheld unit. I currently dont have one which is why I use my auto gps, and I had a partner join me to test the accuracy of my GPS..

regardless, I agree the car unit is not made for doing the hunts which is why I am in the process of buying a 60C myself :ph34r:

***EDIT***

Ahh I forgot the original poster was trying to decide if they should ditch their 60Csx and opt for an auto unit.. I agree with you, avoid the auto unit. it works but not nearly as functional... which is why I am buying a 60C myself :ph34r:

Curt

Edited by cwelt
...I agree the car unit is not made for doing the hunts which is why I am in the process of buying a 60C myself

Note, don't confuse the 60C with the 60CSX or 60CX. The 60C is a discontinued unit and is nowhere nearly as good as the 60CSX or 60CX. The 60C doesn't have expandable memory or the high sensitivity receiver. You can get a 60C pretty cheap though, so if expandable memory and the high sensitivity receiver aren't important to you then it might be an inexpensive alternative.

There are no car units that can perform as well as a handheld (especially the Garmin 60 CSx) for geocaching.

They just aren't as rugged. They aren't water resistant. They aren't as user friendly for geocaching. They aren't designed to go geocaching.

There are some that you can fiddle with that will give reasonable accuracy. But anyone who says their auto gps is better than (or even as good as) a dedicated high sensitivity handheld gps has never used a dedicated high sensitivity handheld gps for geocaching.

Really, your best bet, if you want the best of both worlds, is to get a Garmin 60 CSx and add City Navigator maps and use that unit for both autonavigation and geocaching.

If you need to save a few bucks, the Garmin 60 Cx or Garmin 76 CSx or Garmin 76 Cx units could also be considered.