New Resource page for UK and Ireland Cachers

Graculus

There is a pinned thread at the top of this forum about a new resource site for Geocachers. It is to replace the site that Lactodorum provided.

www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

I don't want to duplicate anything but provide easy links to places that have the information people may want. For example there are often posts in the forums from people trying to find Firefox scripts or how to do paperless caching - my intention will be to provide those links directly to their source. If anyone has an objection to me linking to personal sites that have this information then please tell me, otherwise I shall assume that as they were publicly posted in the forum they can go on the resource page.

It is a work in progress at the moment and I intend adding to it as time permits and suggestions come in. Your suggestions are most important, anything you think may be useful, let me know by email, either through my profile or via the link on the webpage. If you do post ideas on this thread (or discuss them) I'd appreciate it if you email me too, I will monitor this thread but may miss something!

I would also like to provide links to those UK based businesses that sell geocaching related items - this is often a question that comes up in the forum. Please note that I will only list business names and links to websites, in no particular order and with no recommendations about the services provided. Groundspeak have given permission for me to do so as long the list contains a choice of businesses for people to use.

I hope you find the site useful.

Chris (Mr Blorenge)

Graculus

Edited by Graculus

I like it! It's good to have this information centralized in this fashion.

Due to GSP's guidelines, it's hard to have all this info in one place, on a GSP/GC.com site. (That's not a bash GSP statement, that's just the way it is). It's a good resource, straight into favourites.

Just one question MrB? Who owns that site? GSP? You?, and if it's you that owns it, why would you need GSP permission for some of the site content? (I know it was several questions, but it saves me from post after post).

Just one question MrB? Who owns that site? GSP? You?, and if it's you that owns it, why would you need GSP permission for some of the site content? (I know it was several questions, but it saves me from post after post).

It is a personal site and will have links to companies that sell geocaching stuff. As it is linked to from these forums I checked with Groundspeak if that was OK.

Graculus

A very useful looking site Graculus, thanks for setting it up. :)

Your comment (above) raises one question in my mind. If I set up a personal website, which possibly might have links to Geocaching related businesses, do I need Groundspeak's permission to do so? Or do I need permission from them to mention it here? Thanks.

It is a personal site and will have links to companies that sell geocaching stuff. As it is linked to from these forums I checked with Groundspeak if that was OK.

Graculus

It's a great resource that will benefit the community, well done for putting it together.

Your comment (above) raises one question in my mind. If I set up a personal website, which possibly might have links to Geocaching related businesses, do I need Groundspeak's permission to do so? Or do I need permission from them to mention it here? Thanks.

If you had a personal website with commercial information (of any nature) then that is your own affair and no concern to anyone else. If you then made reference to that site (or linked to it) from either these forums or a cache page you may be in breach of the relevant guidelines if you did not ask for permission to do so. This is why I asked Groundspeak because the main link to the resource page is from here. The forum guidelines are at the top of your screen.

Hope this clarifies things

This has taken the subject slightly off topic so may I ask that it comes back to the resource page.

Chris (MrB)/Graculus

The resources site (www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources) has been updated with the following.

Page on Nature Reserves/SSSI's - explanation of what each link offers you to help you find out whether your new cache placement is within such a site and if so that permission will be required.

New Page on scripts for Firefox. I'm sure not all the available scripts are mentioned so please email me through my profile (or via the link on the page) if you know of any others and where they can be found. The resources page does NOT host the scripts, it only provides links to where they are hosted and a brief explanation of what they do.

Graculus

Edited by Graculus

The resources site (www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk) has been updated with the following.

New Page on scripts for Firefox. I'm sure not all the available scripts are mentioned so please email me through my profile (or via the link on the page) if you know of any others and where they can be found. T

Can't see the page on firefox scripts.

I'm trying to find the one that display image thumbnails inline with th elog entry

Brian.

I've put a new page on the site about adding HTML code to the cache page description. I've kept it pretty easy and only put the most useful codes in (if you know others you can try them!). If you are a bit nervous about doing this on the cache page then I've also given you an easy way to 'play' with HTML using a text file that you can edit and view in your browser to see how it looks. There is also a link to the Xinha HTML editor addon for Firefox which is really good.

Chris (MrB)

www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

Follow the HTML link in the contents on the left.

Edited by The Blorenges