Idea: BookCaching Cache Type

Jozii

I'm sure at least some of you out there know of www.BookCrossing.com. Like Geocaching, this is a world wide phenomenon in which people hide stuff in the wild... in this case books!

Unlike geocaching, though, bookcrossing books are found and kept, et least for a w hile. When read, a book may be kept by the finder or re-released into the wild at a new or the same location.

As a fan of both bookcrossing and geocaching, I'd be thrilled if there was a cache type for bookcrossing, combining the two: you release the book via bookcrossing.com, but you don't reveal the exact location of the book on that website. Rather, you post the coordinates as a cache here at geocaching.com.

People may then rush to search for the book and take it. Upon registering this catch, the cache is removed from the geocaching.com "active caches" list.

Of course, there are some problems:

- Several people may be disappointed, as only the FTF actually gets something. After all, there may be a delay in registering the find.

- Those at bookcrossing.com don't see the coordinates unless the hider posts these at both websites. This would have to be implemented on the BC site to make it automatic.

- Srobably more I haven't though of yet...

In short, I'm suggesting a cooperative effort between Geocaching and Bookcrossing :) It's an idea anyway...

Your cache wouldn't be listed as described. Temporary caches (especially one-time only caches) don't get published as geocaches here. You identified some of the reasons why that is.

On the other hand, there are LOTS of bookcrossing "theme caches" where finders are encouraged to take a book and leave a book. These have been around for years. Ammo boxes or large dryboxes work well for these. The biggest challenge is keeping the books safe from the elements.

I don't think you'll succeed in having Groundspeak create a new cache type but you might convince them to include a cache attribute, flagging a traditional cache as being a bookcrossing exchange site.

you release the book via bookcrossing.com, but you don't reveal the exact location of the book on that website. Rather, you post the coordinates as a cache here at geocaching.com.

Coordinates are quite an "exact location". All that seems to be happening is that you're making someone hunt for the location online.

Then, of course, it's definitely a "temporary cache".

Why do people think every little niche needs its own cache type? It seems like we get a couple these a week. Imagine the chaos if they were all put into place.

Yeah ... we could get this down to two types - available or not. Wanna know how big it is or what's in it? Go find it.

Should help the servers run faster, too!

I tried bookcrossing, and it was weak.

I made an account, and waited for notices of books in my area to appear in my inbox.

My inbox was flooded with "XXXX placed a book in the Friends of the Library book sale"....dozens of times a week. It couldn't seem more spam-like. Every notice was basically an ad for a book sale.