Tread Lightly Trackable Jeep Geocoin

hollora

This past weekend, I attended a Tread Lightly Goecaching event. It was great fun! We camped, did some cache runs, talked about "Treading Lightly" and went to some beautiful remote areas of Maine. '

One of the best parts of the event was being given a very special Geocoin. It was actually won by a friend and he passed it off to me - knowing my passion for coins. It was a Jeep coin, trackable, with special things such as the Tread Lightly signature thumb print on the spare tire cover.

When I got home, I did some research and these are limitedly available for purchase on the Treadlightly.org website. Thought I would share this with others who may not have seen these and have a passion for the Jeep coins.

20 bucks! Good grief! :rolleyes: That coin looks very familiar - or is it just that there's been so many Jeep coins over the years?

Yea, far as I know they are the AE Toys Jeep coins. They did the regular version THX4TC first and then the Noel ones. That was last year. Someone was trading the Tread Lightly one a few weeks back, I believe. I had not heard of them at that time. Not sure if they were sold on the AE site or not. If so, I completely missed them. I wonder if they were made for this website to sell or AE did really sell them on their site. Either way $20 is steep for one coin. But I guess they are looking to make money for what they do - Tread Lightly. :huh:

Edited by GPX Navigators

Thanks for passing that along. I had to laugh at $20.00 a coin because people here don't care for a coin when it gets over $10 most of the time, lol. Now I can up my rates! :huh:

I picked up one but they don't take paypal. On the bright side, shipping was .39 cents First class.... :rolleyes:

Don't you dare raise your rates, Tsun. Although your AEs or XLEs could easily fetch more than that in E-sales.

This one was available on AEToys earlier this year or last year for around $10.

These coins were first available as a fund-raiser on ebay for Tread Lightly to raise money. The organization works very hard to help all forms of outdoor recreation learn how to be gentle with nature. 4x4ing is a huge recreation form, and Tread Lightly does everything they can to educate many of the "wheelers" that the way they drive off road needs to be respectful and make every effort to limit impacts off of the designated, already blazed, trails out in the wilderness.

I didn't know they were now offering the coins on the website. Initially it was advertised as a limited run, and the Black is a LE. They may have decided to do another run or to put them on the site to make money for the organization instead of paying fees to paypal and ebay for the fund raising. These coins were going for $25-50 on ebay, and it helped a great cause.

Look into Tread Lightly, their pamphlets make great cache swag, and can serve as great education for those you meet along the trail! (Hiking, biking, camping, or off-roading!)

These coins were first available as a fund-raiser on ebay for Tread Lightly to raise money. The organization works very hard to help all forms of outdoor recreation learn how to be gentle with nature. 4x4ing is a huge recreation form, and Tread Lightly does everything they can to educate many of the "wheelers" that the way they drive off road needs to be respectful and make every effort to limit impacts off of the designated, already blazed, trails out in the wilderness.

I didn't know they were now offering the coins on the website. Initially it was advertised as a limited run, and the Black is a LE. They may have decided to do another run or to put them on the site to make money for the organization instead of paying fees to paypal and ebay for the fund raising. These coins were going for $25-50 on ebay, and it helped a great cause.

Look into Tread Lightly, their pamphlets make great cache swag, and can serve as great education for those you meet along the trail! (Hiking, biking, camping, or off-roading!)

The event I attended was my first. The coordinator organized a Geocaching Event with the Tread Lightly (TL) theme. They got the group together, did a presentation about the mission of the group and how we as cachers may contribute, had some door prizes (believe they were donated by TL) and then we went caching as a group.

I am a regular on the AEToys site and never remember these jeeps being offered there. I thought, perhaps, they were ordered by TL through AEToys for special promotion and fund raising.

After seeing the coin, I thought it reasonable to share this trackable with others. I love the "vehicle" coins and this fits right in.

Agreed - the price on the TL website is a bit steep - but it is available. Another to add to the list of unique trackables available.

The event I attended was my first. The coordinator organized a Geocaching Event with the Tread Lightly (TL) theme. They got the group together, did a presentation about the mission of the group and how we as cachers may contribute, had some door prizes (believe they were donated by TL) and then we went caching as a group.

I am a regular on the AEToys site and never remember these jeeps being offered there. I thought, perhaps, they were ordered by TL through AEToys for special promotion and fund raising.

After seeing the coin, I thought it reasonable to share this trackable with others. I love the "vehicle" coins and this fits right in.

Agreed - the price on the TL website is a bit steep - but it is available. Another to add to the list of unique trackables available.

When I corresponded with the individual who was working the ebay auctions, they said that the design was used from AEToys, but the coin was produced for Tread Lightly. Tread Lightly then sold them on ebay for an auction to raise money for their outreach programs, along with many other outdoorsy items and ATV gadgets. From what I understand, the coin is specifically for Tread Lightly, as it has never been offered at AEToys.

The last auction happened a while ago, and the coins being offered at the Tread Lightly site are not formally through AEToys. Just like any other non-profit organization, the stuff they sell helps get the message out there, and fund their outreach.

I've been a member since 1999, when I was a backpacking guide, and it has now reached me as a Jeep enthusiast. There's good stuff at Tread Lightly, and they partner with the USFS on many projects and outreach programs. Ignore the swag page (unless you want to spend that much on a geocoin, which I gather many would not) and look at their information and mission. Pretty good stuff...

And anyone who was a TL member - sponsoring one of these events and asking used to get a TL Jeep coin "free" to draw off or give away at their event.

I agree TSun - funny where and what folks will pay for coins...........and if folks doing them charged was was a "real" mark upi in retail who knows what would happen.

Most folks don't know what Tread Lightly stands for, have never visited their website nor done an event........just a usual. Not problem.

My prediction - the TL jeeps will be collectible! LOL

My mom bought each of my children a Tread Lightly Jeep coin (green and yellow). They were very cool. Unfortunately, I naively thought I could circulate them around by sending them each out to a cache. Quite quickly they disappeared. I guess now I know why. Its a good thing my kids aren't very young or it would have been quite upsetting to them. I think I am more saddened than they are. Now I know better than to send out something so desirable, although even my run-of-the-mill travel bugs are all missing.

My mom bought each of my children a Tread Lightly Jeep coin (green and yellow). They were very cool. Unfortunately, I naively thought I could circulate them around by sending them each out to a cache. Quite quickly they disappeared. I guess now I know why. Its a good thing my kids aren't very young or it would have been quite upsetting to them. I think I am more saddened than they are. Now I know better than to send out something so desirable, although even my run-of-the-mill travel bugs are all missing.

When I bought my set it was through the link on the AE Toy site. It was the same time I purchased the Glow in the dark headlight jeeps AE Toys produced.