FTF how much money?

Mcwrapper

I always put in an empty logbook as my FTF prize.

;) Yes! that's the thing that will thrill the FTF. My logbooks are printed with the following

___________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________

This space reserved for the ruminations of the MEFF. All bow down!

MEFF = most esteemed first finder a local expression. I've seen an unactivated geocoin, or TB tag left as premium, and have done both. But don't fool with it these days. FTF gets first pick of the swag, and the joy of the virgin log. That's plenty.

I was setting up my first cache but I don't know how much to put in it for the FTF. How much do people normally put in. I was thinking $10-20.

Eric

Put in what you can afford/want to leave for a complete stranger... I usually don't do special FTF prizes... unless it's a special cache such as my 4 step multi that I left a $25 gift certificate for a restaurant in for the first adult finder. And that was only because it had been re-gifted to me from someone else... and I did not really care for the place personally... but thought someone else would!. I have been toying with the idea of making/molding FTF, STF, and TFT "medals"/Pins for my future caches... combining some of my other hobbies (modeling/jewelry making) with caching... a simple "medal" (i.e war medals) with a pin for affixing to clothing and various colors depending on the cache difficulty etc...

i agree with the others ^

£$€ 0.00

nothing. gonna put that kinda cash in every cache you hide? 50 hides = 50x$20 = $1000.00 ...

why so intent on pampering the FTF? they (FTF STF & TTF) will come quickly with or without cash... dont worry. its the ones after that which will take a while.

i repeat : FTFs get first pick in the swag and the "honor" of FTF

Edited by Guinness70

I just put out my first hide yesterday and it was found within half an our of it going "live". I had debated about putting a FTF prize in and then decided against it. My thought is that people do this for the fun, if you start adding cash prizes, then it loses it's value as a low cost outing. I know personally if someone posted that they were putting $20 in a cache, I'd dash to the place just for the $20 not even caring what else was in it.

For all of my placements, I'm going to stick with KISS...

Keep It Simple Stupid

(Not directing that to anyone but myself as I tend to go overboard).

I enjoy the race to get a new cache. I have appreciated the few with a prize but I don't expect it. The first 4 caches I placed I did not do a FTF prize. My 5th cache was published today next to a Dunkin' Donuts so I put in a note for a free coffee(the MOD actually wrote it out and did not charge me! So go buy their donuts and coffee!). The FTF and STF did not take it with them! (Neither did the 3,4,5TF but they are my 7,8,&12 year old kids and I wouldn't let the 8yo have it.)

So if you want to give something, do it. If you don't, don't. Don't let others dictate to you how you get enjoyment out of this hobby.

I enjoy the race to get a new cache. I have appreciated the few with a prize but I don't expect it. The first 4 caches I placed I did not do a FTF prize. My 5th cache was published today next to a Dunkin' Donuts so I put in a note for a free coffee(the MOD actually wrote it out and did not charge me! So go buy their donuts and coffee!). The FTF and STF did not take it with them! (Neither did the 3,4,5TF but they are my 7,8,&12 year old kids and I wouldn't let the 8yo have it.)

So if you want to give something, do it. If you don't, don't. Don't let others dictate to you how you get enjoyment out of this hobby.

Dang too bad I don't live close to you! They have good coffee :ph34r:

Kidding aside though.... if you have something cool like that that you got for free (christmas gift cards you'll never use for example) throw it in there for the FTF. Otherwise, meh. It's first to FIND not first to win toys :cry:

EDIT spelling. D'oh!

Edited by Silfron Mandotheneset

I found a $10 silver certificate as a FTF prize once, but where there has actually been something special it was like a rubber bracelet that said "Geocaching" on it, that sort of thing. Rarely anything notable, and if it wasn't something I really wanted I left it for the next finder. Of course I rarely trade either, I just cache for the fun of it, not the McToys, rubber erasers or foreign coins. The ten dollar bills are few and far between. Oh yeah, I still have it. It sits in a Camp Jeep cup I did trade for one time.

hairball

I usually consider the FTF claim and being able to raze my fellow geocachers enough of a FTF prize.

However, I put out a puzzle cache called NLP. The first puzzle only reveals a second puzzle which reveals a third puzzle which finally reveals a short multi-stage. Figured this was going to be such a fun story from the FTF, which I wanted to hear first hand, so as the FTF prize, I put in a coupon good for a free desert at any of the local GeoCaching socials that I attended. It worked, the FTF had a very nice desert while he told me how he solved it and how he "cheated" when he had problems with the multi-stage. I have a series of night caches my family is working on which will take 2 nights to complete IF you are energetic. I'm sure the story will take much longer to tell so I may offer a whole meal as the FTF prize.

I usually consider the FTF claim and being able to raze my fellow geocachers enough of a FTF prize.

However, I put out a puzzle cache called NLP. The first puzzle only reveals a second puzzle which reveals a third puzzle which finally reveals a short multi-stage. Figured this was going to be such a fun story from the FTF, which I wanted to hear first hand, so as the FTF prize, I put in a coupon good for a free desert at any of the local GeoCaching socials that I attended. It worked, the FTF had a very nice desert while he told me how he solved it and how he "cheated" when he had problems with the multi-stage. I have a series of night caches my family is working on which will take 2 nights to complete IF you are energetic. I'm sure the story will take much longer to tell so I may offer a whole meal as the FTF prize.

My brother in law owns the local bakery so in our first cache we put a gift certificate for some rolls. It was kind of neat because he met the FTF and could tell us about it. We also put the coordinates to the bakery on the envelope.

Edited by Elkster

Cash is a huge fTF prize. If you are willing to contribute that much, great. There is nothing that says you can't. Personally, when I plant a cache, I give them a certificate. You can make your own or you can find some under 'Resources' @ geocacher-u.com. I've also seen some people who put in gift cards to starbucks or Tim Hortons and such, usually for about 5-10 dollars. It's completely up to you. If you are doing a bigger cache, say Regular, large and the exception of a couple smalls, a certificate if just right. IF it's a micro, a 5, 10, maybe sometimes the odd 20 rolled in with the log is spectacular. Again, it's comepletey up to you.

FTFs can be a real topic and it seems like everybody has an opinion (which is great).

I wouldn't put money as a prize but you are more than welcome to do so. Instead may I suggest making a FTF bag. Doesn't have to be more than a couple pieces of swag in a bag marked FTF. I have a couple of treasured FTF finds with one in particular I found special. The CO included five different personal items from when he was in the navy. This included a couple of medals, a patch with the name of his ship and a ships coin. To me it was amazing for someone to share something that personal.

There are also FTF geocoins for about $8.00 and lesser expensive ones for about $3.00 which make great prizes.

For the people who crave FTFs the hunt is usually more than enough of a prize. When there actually is something extra waiting for them, even better.

Have fun!

-HHH :(

Being the doggie person that I am and really liking the idea of Geo-pups spending time with their owners at this, and since I'm in the "fancy" and have access to them, I leave a coupon for dog food or similar for my FTF prizes. But I don't leave dog-less people out---I also leave a special coin or somehting like that for them.

Edited by Tundra Wolf